Thanksgiving Turkey - Free Range or Store Bought?

Options
Hi Folks. We are trying something new (for us). We have started purchasing meat from an organic farm that practices humane husbandry and all the meat is organic.

They are now offering free range turkey with no antibiotics or hormones. We have never purchased a turkey like this before. We have always gotten the "Butterball" type turkey from the grocery store. I am curious if people here have gone the free range, organic turkey route and what your experience is. Is there a preferred way to cook it?

I should add that their turkeys are $3/lb.

Thanks.

Replies

• mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options
    Last year and this year we got/are getting our turkey from a local farmer. Their turkeys are free range and raised organic, although they not certified (costs $$ to get certified organic).

Last year we just roasted it as we would any turkey and it was delicious, very moist and tender, although I can't say that it was significantly better taste-wise than a conventional turkey. Mostly I like to buy from this farmer at our local market because they're nice - an old hippie dude with a long grey ponytail and his sweet wife. I just like to support a local farmer and also like knowing that my food came from down the road and lived a fairly happy little turkey life before he met his maker and my dinner table. :)
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    in this thread we humanize our turkeys
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    Butterball turkeys are pumped with antibiotics. They lead short, unhappy lives. They're a breed of turkey that cannot reproduce without human assistance anymore. That being said, that's what my mother cooks and that's what I eat like a good girl every Thanksgiving, but since you have the choice it seems like the better option to me. It's less cruel and healthier for you, double win. Sorry about the wallet hit though.
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have had organic turkey and chicken...so much better than the grocery store kind! Try it you WON'T be disappointed!! :happy:
  • 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I switched to organic/Free range several years ago and notice a difference in flavor. I brine my turkey so it stays moist, but there seems to be a richer flavor and texture to the meat. This is of course just my opinion, but I say go for it!
  • Sepheara
    Sepheara Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    we go hunting for ours, they are tasty.
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    Wow, that is so awesome. I try to only eat meat that has been raised under humane conditions and does not have antibiotics or steroids in it. My meat consumption is very limited and usually only comes from Whole Foods. I don't have the option to purchase it straight from the farm, but if I did, that would be so amazing. Definitely go with the free range. You pay for what you get and I guarantee it will taste good and you will feel good about eating it. You are lucky to be able to directly support farmers who use these types of food practices. I wish this was the norm and not the exception. I'm a little jealous, but so happy for you:)
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If you are able to ALWAYS buy free range - same with your eggs, poultry,pork etc., at least you know they've had a reasonable quality of life before you bung them in the oven :smile:
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I buy free free range whenever I can. I figure if something can die for me I'm going to do everything I can to make sure it had the best possible life up until that point. I'm willing to pay more for that. I already pay more for organic pastured milk (Organic Valley, NOT Organic Horizon), free range eggs, and the occasional bit of meat.
    I don't know about poultry but I have read a bit of research that says pastured beef is healthier than regular feedlot beef. Less saturated fat, more vitamin D, can't remember the specifics. It makes sense that turkey would be the similar. It stands to reason that an animal raised outside and allowed to exercise and forage would be healthier than an animal crammed in a cage and packed full of antibiotics just to keep them alive. The animal that is in better shape would therefore be healthier for us to eat.
    I'd rather pay a little more and get better quality and eat a little less animal products than spend a little less and get more torture and less quality.
    I'll get off my soapbox now.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't see why you would cook an organic turkey any differently than any other turkey. Whether we buy organic or not will depend mostly on how the hunting season goes and (if it goes poorly) if organic is available and affordable. If not, our market has sold antibiotic free turkeys for the past few years so we'll probably just go for one of those. It's illegal in the US to use hormones in the raising of poultry so that is not a concern.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    in this thread we humanize our turkeys

I prefer hunting range turkeys personally, but when that doesn't work out, I go looking for turkey's that have been raised in a nice home with a loving family that feed them well, took them for moonlit strolls, and named them with strong meaningful names, and then, just when the turkey is resting comfortable and relaxed, their heads are chopped off. The meat is more juicy and tender when the birds don't know it's coming.

Last year was a bad hunting range year, so we ended up having to eat Larry instead. He was delish!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I put an organic whole chicken in my crock pot yesterday morning and it tasted exactly the same as every other chicken I've put in my crock pot. True story.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What about if you bought free range turkey at a store? :devil:
  • scarletgenesis
    Options
    We've done free range for the past few years and will never go back!

The best way we've found to cook it is to spatchcock it - What's that you say? Basically brining and butterflying. Not only does it give us an amazingly flavorful meal, but it cooks in a LOT less time

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/11/how-to-spatchcock-a-turkey-thanksgiving-butterflying-roasting-recipe.html
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options

The best way we've found to cook it is to spatchcock it - What's that you say? Basically brining and butterflying. Not only does it give us an amazingly flavorful meal, but it cooks in a LOT less time

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/11/how-to-spatchcock-a-turkey-thanksgiving-butterflying-roasting-recipe.html
    Very interesting method of cooking a turkey. Never thought about doing it this way. I brined a turkey with a brine recipe from Emeril Lagasse one year and it made the most amazing gravy. We may have to try this.

Thanks,
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Free Range! After eating fresh free range poultry you may find that traditional store bought may taste off - that added "15% flavor enhancing solution" - BLECH!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with turkeys, but I do own a black angus cattle farm and can honestly tell you our meat is much better. We use no hormones, steroids, etc. and feed our cows only hay with occassional grain (which is simply corn). The flavor is better, the marbeling is better, even the fat is less fatty (if that makes sense, LOL). I will never buy beef at the store again. We are in the process of ading pigs and chickens...I cannot WAIT to see how much better fresh bacon is!!! :love:
  • scarletgenesis
    Options

Very interesting method of cooking a turkey. Never thought about doing it this way. I brined a turkey with a brine recipe from Emeril Lagasse one year and it made the most amazing gravy. We may have to try this.

Thanks,

We've done it now 3 times and it takes a bit of patience, especially the first time, but once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly and everyone at thanksgiving told us (my friend and I do all the cooking) it's the best turkey they've ever had.

I have (over the past few months) shifted to only eating meat that is raised and processed certain ways (more humanely, sustainably, as local as possible) and have noticed a big change in flavor.
  • scarletgenesis
    Options
    I have no experience with turkeys, but I do own a black angus cattle farm and can honestly tell you our meat is much better. We use no hormones, steroids, etc. and feed our cows only hay with occassional grain (which is simply corn). The flavor is better, the marbeling is better, even the fat is less fatty (if that makes sense, LOL). I will never buy beef at the store again. We are in the process of ading pigs and chickens...I cannot WAIT to see how much better fresh bacon is!!! :love:

Fresh bacon is absolutely incredible!
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    ...I cannot WAIT to see how much better fresh bacon is!!!
    I just ordered a turkey, a bacon sampler (pork, beef and salmon bacon) and a couple of pork loin roasts.

If anyone is interested, I ordered it from http://www.wallacefarms.com/

They deliver to a warehouse in the city where I live. Very convenient.

Thanks, everyone.:happy: