Excersice makes me weaker??!! Help!

Options
So I need your help please.

I can't seem to have the strength to do my work outs. I literally have to force myself to do them. I do end up working out 5 to 6 days a week which is good. I am losing weight and look like I'm in a better shape. I am tall and been told I carry my weight well, people think I am strong but I am so weak. Problem is after just normal walking 3.9 or 4.0 uphill but only 2.0 to 5.0 incline my heart would flipping jump to my max 190 almost immediatly and my knees hurt and my ankles omg!! they feel like they will pop out and my thighs get all tense and feel so stiff. This is after almost immediatly walking. I suck it up for 10 minutes because I don't want to look ridiculous. But I reach the point of when I look at my shirt and colors start dancing and I get scared of blacking out at the gym.

I went to doctor and she said blood work is perfect everything seems to be perfect. So it is me doing something wrong.

Anyway I end up only doing 10 minutes then jumping on the bicycle for another 10 then walking for 10 then bicycle for 10 then weights for 20 then again 10 and 10 before I go home. But this week I haven't even been able to pull more than 40 minutes total time per work out no matter how hard I push myself. It's almost like constant excersice is making me weaker!!!! How come it's making other people who weigh more than me stronger?? My mom who is an old lady and is overweight (I weigh more than her) can out do me any day of the week. I eat very well. I NEVER eat out. I use best veggies and quality food. I used to be stronger and used to do 30 minutes on each machine a month ago. And I am toning up, my clothes are much looser and I've been losing 2 to 3 pounds a week. Why am I Getting Weaker?

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Your calorie goal is too low -- if you're that tired and weak feeling, it's because your body needs more fuel. It's your body's way of saying, "I can't keep this up unless you feed me." Listen to it.

Plus, losing 2-3 lbs. a week is too much at one time. You should only be losing 1/2 - 1 lb. a week. And I don't know how tall you are, or what your goal weight is, but that's way too much for anyone.
  • joveen86
    joveen86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So eat even if I'm not hungry?? Also I tried upping my calorie intake and my weight loss completely stopped for the 4 days I stopped. I actually gained a couple pounds. Then when I lowered it agian I started losing again.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i was gonna ask if you're eating enough...i think your body IS telling you it's hungry, by feeling weak and being unable to sustain exercise.

also, if you start eating a little more and thus exercising more, you will probably see a gain of a few pounds at first. that happened to me at least. then you'll see the scale go down again. something about your muscles retaining water from new exercise, but i'll let actual experts explain that.

and maybe you just should start by taking a long walk and improve your cardio that way before you try other exercises?? nothing wrong with walking.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Maybe try taking more rest days. Rest is just as important as working out. I second eating more too. Especially if you're lifting weights.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    sometimes your body just gets fatigued and you need to let it rest for awhile. if you keep pushing you risk injuring yourself, letting your immune system become susceptible to germs, and giving up on exercises. take a couple days and just relax, get plenty of rest/sleep, and then give it another try. It may also be mental at this point. It's possible to talk yourself into being tired. try talking yourself into being awake if after a few days to a week of rest doesnt have you feeling better.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    So eat even if I'm not hungry?? Also I tried upping my calorie intake and my weight loss completely stopped for the 4 days I stopped. I actually gained a couple pounds. Then when I lowered it agian I started losing again.

Yes, eat at least your BMR and your body will feel well fed and stronger. 4 days is NOTHING! you need to give it time. I would slowly increase your calories by mabye 150 a week until you get close to your BMR...and I'm talking NET calories not gross. If you're not that hungry try calorie dense foods like nuts, peanut butter, avocados etc.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    It takes longer than 4 days to get your body back to 'normal' if you have been starving yourself (ie. not eating enough). You will gain a little weight for a while but it will come off again. Also if you don't eat enough for a while eventually your body just stops feeling hungry..just because you don't FEEL hungry does not mean you are eating enough more than likely it means you have managed to mess up your metabolism.

Do you eat your exercise calories back? Have you figured out your BMR/TDEE? or are you just blindly going with whatever MFP tells you?

If you feel weak its because you aren't eating enough, you are overdoing your exercise, or you have some other medical issue. It is not normal to feel weak when you lose weight.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    You are constantly under eating - your body needs fuel to operate....And you did not put fat on in the four days you ate more - it was water weight.....
    Eat more, forget about the scale for a few weeks and take your measurements - what you are doing right now will not work.....

Not sure what you mean by "weight loss completely stopped for four days"???? Do not jump on the scale every day, and weight los is not linear....2-3 pounds a week is too much...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You need to eat your 1200 calories PLUS your exercise calories.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It might be something that doesn't show up in blood work. How is your blood pressure? Some people have a problem where their blood pressure drops when they stand up or exercise and then the heart beats faster to try to get blood up into the brain. It can make people pass out. Weakness and being tired are common with this problem.
  • joveen86
    Options
    It takes longer than 4 days to get your body back to 'normal' if you have been starving yourself (ie. not eating enough). You will gain a little weight for a while but it will come off again. Also if you don't eat enough for a while eventually your body just stops feeling hungry..just because you don't FEEL hungry does not mean you are eating enough more than likely it means you have managed to mess up your metabolism.

Do you eat your exercise calories back? Have you figured out your BMR/TDEE? or are you just blindly going with whatever MFP tells you?

If you feel weak its because you aren't eating enough, you are overdoing your exercise, or you have some other medical issue. It is not normal to feel weak when you lose weight.

Yes Yes, I know all my numbers. I done them before I started the program. I honestly just log in my calories till I'm full and I tend to eat some of my excersice calories back. I average at about 1200 calories and sometimes 1500 calories of really healthy foods. I get protien, carbs, sugar, vitamines, fiber. Lots of veggies and meat daily. LOL.. I love food !! It's why I gained so much in the beggining.
  • joveen86
    Options
    Maybe its not enough nutrition like stated above. Or not enough water intake.

Maybe try a 5 minute warm up. The weight train then finish with cardio. That way you're not so exhausted by the time you do your weights. Just an opinion.

Ok, good idea I will try changing my routine. Hopefully it works :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Yes Yes, I know all my numbers. I done them before I started the program. I honestly just log in my calories till I'm full and I tend to eat some of my excersice calories back. I average at about 1200 calories and sometimes 1500 calories of really healthy foods. I get protien, carbs, sugar, vitamines, fiber. Lots of veggies and meat daily. LOL.. I love food !! It's why I gained so much in the beggining.

But you are generally not eating to fuel your workouts. You understand that BMR is the amount only to fuel your basic bodily functions without any movement or expending of any energy? 1,200 calories is likely to be below that since you are tall. You need to eat your exercise calories, you run out of fuel.
  • joveen86
    Options
    OK, I will up my calorie intake 100 calories this week, and try my best not to look at the scale. I seriously will have to get the scale out of my house if I'm going to do this. This is going to be nerve wrecking. Wish me luck!

I really appreciate everyone's advice. Thank you all for being such a great community.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

You average 1200 calories before exercise. I looked at your diary--most days you are netting less than 900 calories! MFP doesn't account for exercise when you put in your weight loss goal. This is why it adds exercise calories on to your daily goal when you work out. If you aren't going to eat your exercise calories back, fine. Just at least NET your BMR so your body can properly function.

For example: My BMR is 1500. So, if I eat 2000 calories and exercise off 700 calories, I'm only netting 1300 calories. I would then want to eat AT LEAST 200 extra calories to keep myself above my BMR.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What type of nutrition are you getting pre-workout? Are you using a heart rate monitor, or holding on to the machine to take your heart rate? Are you working out first thing in the morning, during lunch, after work, or late at night?

Proper fuel is key to a good workout. Make sure you are getting enough protein, carbs, and healthy fats around your workout.

On some machines, if I wear my watch for my heart rate monitor, the readings get all screwy, and it will put my heart rate above max, even though I just started working out. I had to start working out without the watch. The machine would still read from my chest strap. Are you sure the reading is accurate?

When I workout in the morning I have more energy, If I wait until later in the day, I lack energy in my workout, but all people are different. Some prefer to workout later.

I would also recommend doing weights first. You will see greater results by having energy for your weight training workout, than you will if you expend all your energy on the cardio equipment. Try to hit every muscle group, and lift as heavy as you can, for no more than 15 reps. Try to hit failure.

40 minutes is actually a good time for a workout. You may just want to split your days. Do weight training on one day, then the next, do cardio. It is really easy to over train, which will result in loss of strength, and overall energy.

Edited to add. Are you suffering from anxiety, or depression? Sometimes depression can cause a person to lose motivation, or energy to do their workouts. When I was going through my divorce, I had a really hard time making it through my workouts. You may have some mental issues, if there are no physical problems.