greek yogurt???

Options
2»

Replies

• bscngrad
    Options
    I love love love Liberte Lemon greek yogurt, it also comes in blackberry, plum walnut, black cherry. and peach passionfruit.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Or try regular plain yogurt. Dannon makes a good nonfat or lowfat, or Meijer or Kroger brand plain yogurts are good also and still higher in protein and lower in sugar than the sweetened kind.

I also love the Dannon nonfat and lowfat. I drain the water from it overnight. I'll bet that makes mine taste different. Definitely creamier... I add fresh blueberries and cheerios or fresh blueberries, almond slivers, and cinnamon for a yummy snack.
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use Greek Yogurt to make Tzatziki. Which for those that aren't familiar it's the creamy cucumber/dill sauce that you get on a traditional Gyro.

Start with 1 pint Greek-style yogurt, 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 medium cucumber, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. dill or mint can also be added, I personally prefer dill.

Peel and seed the cucumber, then shred it and squeeze out any excess water.
    Peel and put the garlic through a press, pulverize it , dice it with a knife, however you prefer.
    Mix garlic and cucumber with olive oil and vinegar then mix with the yogurt. Add fresh dill to taste.

You should let the mixture rest in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours for the flavors to meld for the best results.
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    I love Fage 2% Total yogurt, but it's pricier ($1.79 each!). Oikos 0% has a 4 pack at Wal*mart for under $4.

I just found that Yoplait makes a Greek yogurt too! They started selling it at Meijer. It's called Yoplait Greek 2X protein and it comes in plain, strawberry, and blueberry for $.99 each.

Try adding some fruit or granola to it. It's not sweet like most people are used to yogurt.

Or try regular plain yogurt. Dannon makes a good nonfat or lowfat, or Meijer or Kroger brand plain yogurts are good also and still higher in protein and lower in sugar than the sweetened kind.

I really like Fage 0% Greek yogurt. I also found the Yoplait Greek yogurt at Meijer. It was okay, not as thick as Fage. I also found Dannon Greek Yogurt. I really liked that one, and it was very similar to Fage or Chobani.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I started buying Astro Balkan style, which is basically the same think but has a little less tang.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I decided to give FAGE a go since so many people speak highly of it. I just looked at the label as I sat down to eat some for my afternoon snack and realized it has 3 FEWER yogurt cultures than the Stoneyfield Oikos I have been getting. I think this accounts for the aftertaste of OIKOS and I'll probably continue to buy it instead. I'm enjoying the flavor of the FAGE but I personally feel the OIKOS has better ingredients and with 5 cultures vs. 2, I think that tips the scale for me in favor of OIKOS. It may also have something to do with the fact that I buy 0% OIKOS and this is 2% FAGE. I'll probably buy plain FAGE in the future (I think I'm going to replace sour cream with it -- it really is very good) & flavored OIKOS. I also bought Chobani to try. Thanks for the thread & the recommendations.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I decided to give FAGE a go since so many people speak highly of it. I just looked at the label as I sat down to eat some for my afternoon snack and realized it has 3 FEWER yogurt cultures than the Stoneyfield Oikos I have been getting. I think this accounts for the aftertaste of OIKOS and I'll probably continue to buy it instead. I'm enjoying the flavor of the FAGE but I personally feel the OIKOS has better ingredients and with 5 cultures vs. 2, I think that tips the scale for me in favor of OIKOS. It may also have something to do with the fact that I buy 0% OIKOS and this is 2% FAGE. I'll probably buy plain FAGE in the future (I think I'm going to replace sour cream with it -- it really is very good) & flavored OIKOS. I also bought Chobani to try. Thanks for the thread & the recommendations.

You might also like Brown Cow greek style. They also have 5 cultures. Although I did just buy the Okios chocolate...can't wait to try it. Yum.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

You might also like Brown Cow greek style. They also have 5 cultures. Although I did just buy the Okios chocolate...can't wait to try it. Yum.

I tried Brown Cow and did like it. I mean... I love it all. :laugh: I'm just trying to find the one I love the *most.*
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Oikos CHOCOLATE?!?! wahhhhhh
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I have tried Oikos, brown cow and a host of other yogurts.

The only ones I like are Mountain High Yoghurt and Fage Greek Yogurt sweetened with fresh fruit only.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    I'm with you. I've tried a couple different brands and it tastes awful to me!!
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thanks for all the input everyone!! I am going to try a couple different brands and maybe see if I can find Oikos chocolate flavored. Maybe I will like that better
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

Yep...it's in a 4-pack...they also have a caramel out.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

I had a coupon so I tried the Oikos w/ Caramel and it was ok. I prefer it plain and adding in my own fruit.
  • penash
    penash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really like Fage. It's so creamy and delicious. If you need to sweeten it up a bit to your taste, add just a touch of honey or some fresh or frozen fruit. Then it's healthy snack...filling and delicious
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options

I had a coupon so I tried the Oikos w/ Caramel and it was ok. I prefer it plain and adding in my own fruit.

Must agree...I just had it today as one of my snacks...it just wasn't as creamy as the others. Oh well, it was worth a try.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I really like Fage. It's so creamy and delicious. If you need to sweeten it up a bit to your taste, add just a touch of honey or some fresh or frozen fruit. Then it's healthy snack...filling and delicious

It is my favorite also............

Also, Mountain High Yoghurt is just as good as Fage. It is thick just like Fage and a bit cheaper.

Mountain-High-Yoghurt.jpg
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's carries a fantastic Greek Yogurt -- their store brand. Regular, low-fat or fat-free. Yummy, and cheaper than all others.

Totally agree with this post. I mix mine with raspberries and blueberries and Kashi nuggets. YUM!