1200 Calories? Really?

Options

Replies

• BeepRocks
    Options
    If you started 10 days ago and already lost 3 pounds....then something is working........1200 plus activity calories....is reasonable......good luck
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    I adjusted my caloric goal to what my nutritionist set, but I know that is debatable. That was set with a much higher activity level than what I am currently at (was training for a half marathon, but I broke my foot). The days I don't exercise much I eat less, but if I work out a lot I am closer to 1700 calories.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I just started MFP about 10 days ago and based on my level of activity, my NET calories that I should be eating per day works out to 1200. I'm 5'7 and weigh 237 lbs. Maybe I'm not getting this, but it appears that if I ride my bike and burn an additional 500 calories, or do some kind of exercise that burns, I can then eat dinner - just kidding, then my caloric intake goes up to what I consider 1700 to 1800 calories a day (what my nutritionist said I should be eating). Does this mean that if I have one day where I don't exercise, I should restrict myself to 1200 cals per day if I want to continue to stay on track?

Also, at what point (pounds lost) should I reevaluate my caloric intake or adjust it???

You are the same age as I am and about the same size as when I started my weight loss. Sorry to tell you, but if you want to lose 1 or more pounds per week, you will need to restrict your calories and exercise at that level. If you don't exercise one day, but eat at the higher level, your overall weight loss for the week will most likely suffer. If you total your calories in for the week and calories burned, you will need to have a deficit of 3500 calories to lose 1 pound, 7000 calories to lose 2. And that is using the formula that MFP uses to determine your metabolism. This number may vary from person to person depending on your hormone levels and amount of muscle mass.

That said, I have found that by limiting my sugar and simple carbs and replacing them with lean protein and good fats, I am able to eat at a much lower calorie level without feeling the hunger that you typically get on a higher carb/sugar diet. This will also help you with your blood sugar issues.

Feel free to add me if you like. I have many friends on my list that are around my age or older and are succeeding in losing the extra weight.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10", 206 pounds and eating between 1,700-2,000 calories a day and still losing.

1,200 is the bare minimum for sure.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    1200 Calories is very realistic, depending on how badly you want to lose the weight.
    At my heaviest I was 235 pounds. I am 5' 7".
    I am now at 144.
    Was it easy?
    Absolutely not.
    But I wouldn't change this journey for anything.
    You can do this!

5'8"
    SW/204 lbs
    CW/154
    GW/145

After a month it was actually not that hard to stay at/around 1200 calories per day, I just had to learn some portion control and swap my unhealthy eating habits for whole foods. I am not ashamed to say that I pouted like a two year old when someone brought a chocolate buttercream football cake into my house at week 1 of my diet but I have to say it was well worth it. My caloric intake is currently at 1300+, with a goal loss of .5lb per week. Best of luck to you!
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and currently 235. My goal is 1400 calories. I dont find that hard to stick to and for now its working just fine. I will most likely have to adjust in the future though. For what its worth, I am not hungry or unsatisfied. If I want something I will eat it just less of it.

If you would like a friend (or a diary to check out) feel free to friend me.
  • dame145
    Options
    Hi All, I just started MFP about 10 days ago and based on my level of activity, my NET calories that I should be eating per day works out to 1200. I'm 5'7 and weigh 237 lbs. Maybe I'm not getting this, but it appears that if I ride my bike and burn an additional 500 calories, or do some kind of exercise that burns, I can then eat dinner - just kidding, then my caloric intake goes up to what I consider 1700 to 1800 calories a day (what my nutritionist said I should be eating). Does this mean that if I have one day where I don't exercise, I should restrict myself to 1200 cals per day if I want to continue to stay on track?

Also, at what point (pounds lost) should I reevaluate my caloric intake or adjust it???

#1. read the forum rules.

#2. search forum for 1200 calorie posts.. and eating exercise calories back.

#3. if you find nothing, THEN post.

Im sure you may find SOMETHING about it... maybe one or two posts..

Although you may have meant this in a helpful way, I can see how someone would have been put off by your "Help".

If someone said this to me, I would feel like they were saying I didn't have the right to post until I checked out what everyone else had to say. It comes off as rude, although you may not have meant it that way.

Sometimes people want to have "THEIR" own personal questions answered.
  • reenielovesthebeach
    Options
    I weighed 262 and am 5'7" tall at the beginning of August when I started changing my habits with food and exercise. I now weigh 227 pounds- down 35 pounds. I started at 1300 calories at first. As I plateaued, I went down to 1200. I work out five days a week, rotating days between cardio and weight/resistence training now. I am shooting for 120 grams of protein per day. Protein can send signals to your brain telling it that you're full. This helps me a lot. I drink one immediately when I wake up and one after I work out. I also eat high protein foods, along with the protein shakes. I eat fish, salad, veggies, nuts, greek yogurt, whole wheat bread, olive oil, eggs, lean meat and lots of water. I love to cook and that was a huge part of my problem. I'd make homemade meals and big portions. Before I knew it- the weight packed on my body. I cook now but I just try to modify what I make. I buy all low sodium broths for the soups I make. I don't use much butter. I cook just about everything in olive oil. I use whole wheat pasta now. I have to say that in the beginning it was tough, as with any change- especially a food habit. Now it's fine. Some people say 1200 is too low, but it's not for me. I eat very well. I just don't consume 1200 calories at one sitting at a fast food restaurant now. I eat smarter and maximize my calories on food that's good for me. I have days where I'm over and days where I'm under. I just do my best and if I mess up, I get right back to it the next day. Working out is vital to our health and I actually look forward to it now. Never in a million years did I think I'd ever be "one of those people."

My goal is 199, which I hope to be at by Spring time. At the rate I'm going, I will probably be there a lot faster than Spring time. The biggest motivator for me is to be off the high bp medication and I love trying on clothes now because I used to only be able to buy plus sizes and now I can walk into any store I chose to to buy clothing. I went from a tight size 18 to a size 12 jeans that will soon be too big. YIPPIE! I have so much energy now and feel a ton better! There was a post on here that compared the amount of weight you have lost to an item and it says I have lost a cinder block. If you look at it that way, you understand why you feel better. That's a lot of weight. My body is losing but my skin isn't as elastic as it once was. I'm not 20 years old anymore. In the beginning, I just did cardio for about a month and a half. I believe that was a part of my plateau also. I have since added weight/resistence training in my routine. I'm hoping to firm it up. Anyway, there are tons of opinions on here and much good advice. The best advice is to see what works for people. The proof is in the pudding. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

A rather sarcastic and unhelpful post and I am not surprised the op was a little upset. The fact is, that most new people tend to dive right in to ask their own question and 99% of topics here have been covered many times in the past. The forums would actually be somewhat quiet and empty if new people did not dive in with their questions or if everyone spent their time rummaging through old posts using search. I wonder why you felt it necessary to try and make the op feel stupid?
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think I'd go with what the nutritionist said, or split the difference. Better something moderate you can stick to long term.
  • psuskifan
    psuskifan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1) I think a lot of the problem with a new lower caloric intake is that we have to change what we are eating not just the amount. There are so many great things you can make/eat that are very low in calories. You might not love them and you might need to learn out to make them, but they will help a lot.

The trick is identifying things to eat a little more of - Roasted vegetables, soup, homemade no butter popcorn, stuff like that. Said another way, if you want to fill yourself up, do it with stuff that won't hurt your total. If you are still hungry after a lunch, have carrots. If you are still hungry after dinner, have a banana.

Along these lines, you have to cut out the little things that add up: Coffee creamer, butter on your bread, etc. This is adding up to 500-1000 calories a week.

2) This isn't true for everyone but I find that when I work out and burn 300-600 calories I am not really any more hungry than I normally would be, so if you can implement the above and work out, I think you could turn a corner.

3) Keep at it and I am sure you will do it. The trick is just peeking around that corner so keep working at that and when you do you will be so excited you won't turn back.

- Eat more of the good stuff
    - Cut out the little crap that adds up
    - Work out more, but that doesn't always mean eat more.
  • reenielovesthebeach
    Options
    GRAELWYN~ I have to agree with you. I like to help new people and although questions may seem repetitive, this sounds like it's the op's first rodeo. I was there myself a little over two months ago and kind people on here helped me out. I have some good inspirational friends on here and I have actually taken a few off that offered anything less. I will help anyone that I can...
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea how on earth anyone sticks to 1200 calories a day. I would end up eating a body part I would be that hungry. Completely mental.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

If you have a nutritionist who told you to eat 1700 to 1800 daily, that's what you should be eating. A professional knows a lot better than a website that will automatically put EVERYONE on a 1200 intake if they list their activity as sedentary or their weight-loss rate at 2/week. From "My Home", click goals, choose custom goals, and adjust your goal to what your nutritionist told you. Check to see if you should eat back your exercise calories (I would think not, but I'm not your nutritionist).
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Wow, that is a bit harsh! I guess you never asked a question when you were first starting out without searching thru all the tons of forum posts first. Way to make new people feel welcome on here. How about losing the sarcasm and nastiness.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely no idea how on earth anyone sticks to 1200 calories a day. I would end up eating a body part I would be that hungry. Completely mental.

Yep, at the start you definitely feel hungry all the time, but as you go on you find alternative foods to eat that can keep you fuller for longer. It really takes determination to stick to it. After my workouts I sometimes end up taking a route that goes pass a greasy spoon kinda joint. The smell does make you want to eat some ridiculously fattening and unhealthy stuff.
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories - i have mine set at 2 lbs a week - I've lost 40 pounds since june. I don't feel starving or anything like that - and I do not eat back my exercise calories, but, it is also not a huge deal if i go over sometimes.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're eating. At 1200 calories I had a good breakfast with gluten free oatmeal and tea w/sweet cream and sweetener, snacked on fruit or jerky, had lunch of turkey and cheese, snacked on nuts or fruit, and had a delicious dinner with lean meat, veggies, and a pretty large serving of rice or pasta, and still had room for a low cal dessert. I drank plenty of water and didn't feel hungry at all. I am slowly upping my calories now, not because I'm hungry, but because I'm near my goal and wouldn't maintain at 1200 but rather continue losing beyond my goal, which would leave me underweight.
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Growtinymusclesgrow Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Yes - it would be 1200 for non exercise days. Honestly, you can just average things out for the week if that's easier. If you exercise 1400 calories total for the week .. give yourself 200 extra calories each day.

It's all about what you can tolerate ... if 200 isn't enough ... use 300 ... and just lose a little slower (no biggie). Don't torture yourself, besides you might find it gets easier over time.

This is a really good answer. It's all in what you can tolerate. Everyone is different. When you eat at a calorie deficit either big or slight your body does go into a state of flux with hormones and such and it is different for each person. Also each person has their own issues or emotional eating issues or whatever that come into play. Your are tall so you have more room to play with up or down without getting hassled by everyone about eating too low, use that to your advantage.

As you get closer to your goal you will need to taper your calories up and the process becomes much slower (as if it wasn't slow enough to begin with!) But also taper up whenever you get burned out on a deficit. Eating right at maintenance is not backwards if you need the break from the deficit, and it's a better strategy than going crazy and binging.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

^^^^This is some of the best advice i have EVER read on this site. It is informative, well explained and accurate!!!
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Growtinymusclesgrow Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Right....i an working on adding some size, so 1200 wouldn't work for me either...