Help! Weight loss for military

Options

Replies

• FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I suggest changing your goal from weight loss to being able to run 2 miles fast complete 2 mins push-ups and 2 mins sit-ups. Or have they changed the test? And i don't remember if the girls get measured around the neck like guys do when they calculate BF% anyone know?
  • phatnotfat81
    Options
    thank you- OKAY! so my bmi is currently 32% needs to be down somewhere between 18-25% my calorie count is like 1200 , i've only started my journey for about 5 days, I have always wanted to be in the military but weight loss was the only reason i never got in so now it's kind of like this is my last hoo-rah and i NEED to do this for me for many reasons so it's time to get my life on track

If you're going to be pushing yourself working out more, then 1200 calories may not be enough calories in for the amount of calories you'll be burning...If you seriously push it to the max, then up your calories a little, or else you might stall on the weight loss....but i agree that's probably not enough time to lose that much...try to reschedule if possible. and THANK YOU for wanting to serve our country, hats off to you hun!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I suggest changing your goal from weight loss to being able to run 2 miles fast complete 2 mins push-ups and 2 mins sit-ups. Or have they changed the test? And i don't remember if the girls get measured around the neck like guys do when they calculate BF% anyone know?

Air Force is point based with a 1.5 mile run, push ups sit ups, and waist measurement. Our measurement does not include neck; it's around the waist at the top of your hip bones. They track your weight but it doesn't matter as you don't get points based on weight or BMI. Maybe I didn't see it, did OP say what branch she was looking at?
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    add me if you like, I'll try to help! 40 by january is a tall task though.........
  • domcom08
    Options
    I brought a new scale and i thought i was 15 pounds lighter than i was but yea i dnt normally check my weight all the time it was just seeing that my mom works out way less than me and we started at the same time she has already lost 5 lbs
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    You could be OVER excersisng. As dumb as that sounds it can happen..
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Air Force is point based with a 1.5 mile run, push ups sit ups, and waist measurement. Our measurement does not include neck; it's around the waist at the top of your hip bones. They track your weight but it doesn't matter as you don't get points based on weight or BMI. Maybe I didn't see it, did OP say what branch she was looking at?

I assumed she was heading into the Army since she said she was heading to "Basic" if it was the Air Force I think she would have said she was heading to "Vacation" JK JK I joke cause I was Army and my brother was AF
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The absolute MOST you will be able to lose to January 1st will be 20 lbs. THE MOST!!! That is 2 pounds a week. I think if you cut your goal to a more manageable goal then you will not be setting yourself up for failure and you will see better results. I did Army bootcamp and my mother swore I was anorexic when she got there for graduation. You will lose quite a bit of weight at bootcamp, TRUST me.

Here is what I suggest, talk to your recruiter, ask what the TAPE requirements for your body type are and suggest to him that you make at least HALF of the goal of weight loss that is required. Put away your scale for the first three weeks, only check your weight at the end of each month. Mostly check your results from your measurements. Also ask your recruiter if they have a pre-bootcamp that you could participate in. My Guard unit allowed me to drill with them until bootcamp and I was educated on the standards and attended PT classes.

Use MapMyRun.com to map out a 2 mile track around your house or at a local park. If you cannot run the entire two miles then run for 2 minutes and walk for 5 minutes. Each week up the amount of running and decrease the amount of walking.

For push ups I say every hour bust out about 10. Do as many as possible without going to your knees. You will NOT be able to do girl push ups in the Army. Try changing it up to by doing planks and some upper body strength training. In about 3 weeks you will see a HUGE difference in the amount of pushups you are able to do.

For sit ups I would do the same as you do for pushups. Just try to do as many as you can each hour. These NEED to be normal sit ups, and rest while you are at the top of the sit up.

I hate to say it but it is going to be MAJOR work to get you in shape for bootcamp. I was in decent shape when I went and got my butt handed to me when I arrived. Also remember that bootcamp is a mind game, they break you down just to rebuild you. So take the work, don't complain or give up. Just keep on pushing.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    40 pounds in 2 months? Not gonna happen without amputation or getting so close to death they won't take you.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Negative Nancy: How were you accepted into military if 40 lbs over their limit?
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options

I assumed she was heading into the Army since she said she was heading to "Basic" if it was the Air Force I think she would have said she was heading to "Vacation" JK JK I joke cause I was Army and my brother was AF

Haha I know, I've been in 11 years now, I've gotten used to the jokes. When I went through basic was a joke and it was only 6 weeks. From what I hear it's gotten a little harder and is like 8 weeks now.

OP, check out the 100pushups and 200 situps programs. They really helped me a lot. Look up your branch's fitness reg on google and really read up on it. They should be easy to find. I know if you just looks up "Air Force Fitness Standards" it pops up in the top few.
  • KitKatt011
    Options
    I'm right there with you! I am trying to lose 74 pounds to enlist.. I'm down 10 now but this is super hard!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I brought a new scale and i thought i was 15 pounds lighter than i was but yea i dnt normally check my weight all the time it was just seeing that my mom works out way less than me and we started at the same time she has already lost 5 lbs

It's because you are exercising too much. Your muscles are retaining fluid to repair themselves and you aren't eating enough to fuel your activity. Take 2 rest days and weigh again. I bet you'll see a drop in the scale.

But seriously, even though it's hard to hear, listen to the advice everyone is giving you here. It's hard to face that what you want won't happen the way you want it to....but that doesn't mean it won't happen at all. Read the links, do some research, come up with a game plan, talk to your recruiter and then get to work! :)
  • domcom08
    Options
    ok i will thanks for the advice
  • domcom08
    Options
    well best of luck to you as well!
  • domcom08
    Options
    lol
  • domcom08
    Options
    i haven't but my weight is the only thing stopping me i have passed everything else. So I CLAIM IT and it WILL happen
  • domcom08
    Options
    lol well damn
  • domcom08
    Options
    wow, okay thank you so much for the advice
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    maybe I missed it but what branch?

Run run run after that run