• Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    mind. blown.
    ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    WAY helpful since I'm vegan and often order things off the menu "minus the cheese"!!!! THANKS!!!!!
  • Ambr
    Ambr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about it, Thanks for sharing :)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    What am I not understanding here?

If I look up "Big Mac" and find that... and it adds the calories. It adds the whole beast for calories. Putting in negative amounts would negative out the portion I told it to deduct. To find the calories in the bun alone, for example, I would have to search "Big Mac bun" and add it as a negative 1.
    You're not misunderstanding anything, that's exactly what you would do. You would have two lines in your meal log - one for 1 full big mac that has X amount of calories, fat, carbs and protein, and one for -1 bun that would subtract X amount of calories, fat, carbs and protein (a "big mac bun" might not be an exact entry in the database but you would certainly be able to find a comparable one). You enjoy your bunless burger and your macros are more or less perfectly recorded. Got your big mac without mayo? -1 serving of mayo. And so on. So you don't have a dozen entries in the database that are "big mac - no bun", "big mac - no cheese", "big mac - no mayo" etc. Just subtract whatever you left off.
  • bslic
    bslic Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    WOW you should win MFPer of the year for that!!! Brilliant idea!!!
  • Reasie26
    Reasie26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah, pretty sure that's right. Of course, "Big Mac Bun" may not be in the database. Probably more helpful for when you leave off a slice of cheese or mayo or something of that sort that would actually be in the database. I haven't checked though - it's possible that the bun is in there!!! If not, you could add it to the database, and then you (and everyone else) would have it in there to use!! :)
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been using this for a while to subtract the fibre from my carb total when I have to use a non UK entry for something (carbs on the nutritional info are net carbs here so mixing US and UK entries messes with your carb count). I just made an entry in the database where the only nutritional information is -1g of carbs and if I eat something with 7g of fibre that's a US entry I add 7 servings to that meal to give me the net carbs.
  • agthorn
    Options
    WOW you should win MFPer of the year for that!!! Brilliant idea!!!
    Wow, MFPer of the year and it's only January 6th... :blushing:

Thanks guys! Happy subtracting :bigsmile:
  • Ambr
    Ambr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about it, Thanks for sharing :)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Absolutely BRILLIANT.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,070 Member
    Options
    That is great! Thank you for sharing.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh! I was thinking it was from within the entry itself, not as a separate entry! faaabulous!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. I just ate a bunch of cheese I didn't especially want from a Starbucks Bistro Box because I had logged it anyway. Hooray for clever discoveries!
  • MrsGreenTea703
    MrsGreenTea703 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    SCORE! I love learning new things!
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Negative Food is the BEST THING EVER!!! I can't believe I just figured this out! I am dairy free and every time I eat out or cook I leave out the cheese. I hated piecing together things like papa murphey's pizza or any entree anywhere. Now all I have to do is add the food and subtract the cheese!

YAAAAAY!!!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reviving this post becuase I had no idea you could do this.
    It's coming up to the end of 2012 and I still think agthorn is the MFPer of the Year!
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    :noway: That is awesome! Thank you!
  • agthorn
    Options
    It's coming up to the end of 2012 and I still think agthorn is the MFPer of the Year!
    Well, thanks! I hope there's like a crown or something.
  • bluedevil005
    bluedevil005 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That's so good to know! Thanks for sharing... I've totally been annoyed by trying to re-enter a food without a few ingredients.
  • vlleonardi29
    Options

^^^^^This!