healthy zucchini and/or eggplant reicpes please

Options
i just got a few zucchinis and eggplants and have never prepared them before. i don't want them to go bad so i'm looking for some good recipes. thanks :)

Replies

• worthashot73
    worthashot73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com. There are some incredible zucchini recipes there.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Rigatoni alla norma

20121003_185505.jpg
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If your zucchinis are a good size, cut them in half lengthways, scoop out the flesh and fry it in a bit of olive oil with some onion and bacon. Spoon it back into the skins, top with some breadrumbs and grated cheese and put them in the oven till the topping is golden brown.

I do have a proper recipe for this but really, just play around with the quantities to suit the amount of calories you want to use.
  • rainman3k
    rainman3k Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Lasagna Recipe - I’ve had eggplant lasagna on many occasions, but always with the noodles, so I decided to use the eggplant in place of the noodles, thus keeping the hearty comfort food a little healthier.

Ingredients
    6 cups low sodium Marinara
    1 eggplant, 16 ounces or larger
    1 portobello mushroom
    1 cup baby spinach, optional
    low calorie olive oil spray
    32 ounces fat free ricotta cheese
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
    2 teaspoons dried basil
    8 ounces shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese

Preparation
    Preheat the grill to medium
    Slice the eggplant into 1/8-inch slices with the skin still on. Spray with olive oil. Grill for about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
    Grill the portobello mushroom, allow to cool and then chop into 1/2" pieces
    Preheat the oven to 350° F
    In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the ricotta, egg, grated Parmesan, and dried basil.
    Spread 1.5 cups of the sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Lay down a row of the grilled eggplant, then spread about 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture. It doesn’t have to look pretty, just make sure that it is evenly distributed, even if it’s in clumps. If using the spinach, add the leaves in a layer.
    Add 1.5 cups of sauce, then half the remaining grilled eggplant, 1/2 of the remaining cheese mixture, and the chopped portobello mushroom.
    Add another 1.5 cups of the sauce, the rest of the grilled eggplant, and the rest of the ricotta cheese mixture. Spread the remaining sauce on top then top with the shredded mozzarella.
    Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until the lasagna is cooked all the way through and the top is bubbly and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
  • christykirby
    christykirby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Here are couple of my favorite ways to prepare zucchini (it's one of my fav veggies):

Baked Zucchini Slices
    Ingredients: 1 medium sized zucchini
    Directions: Take your zucchini and cut into either two or three pieces. Then take each piece and cut into quarter inch slices (you'll have 2-3 inch zucchini planks). Spray a foil lined baking sheet and lay out the zucchini planks. Season as desired (I usually just do a little salt and pepper). Bake at 400 for about 10-15 minutes. Flip the slices over and bake another 10 minutes or so.

Parmesan Zucchini Slices
    Ingredients: 1 medium sized zucchini, 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp italian seasoned breadcrumbs or Panko breadcrumbs.
    Directions: Take your zucchini and cut into either two or three pieces. Then take each piece and cut into quarter inch slices (you'll have 2-3 inch zucchini planks). Spray a foil lined baking sheet, lay out the zucchini planks, and season. Mix the parmesan and breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top of each zucchini plank. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until the topping is nicely browned.

"Fried" Zucchini
    Ingredients: 1 medium sized zucchini, 1 egg white, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp corn meal
    Directions: Slice the zucchini into rounds about a quarter of an inch thick. Toss them into a ziploc bag and add the cornstarch. Shake until evenly coated. Beat the egg white a little and then add that to the ziploc and shake to coat (you may only need to use half of the egg white - judge for yourself). Finally add the corn meal and shake again making sure every slice is coated. Spray a foil lined baking sheet and dump the slices out. Make sure they are in a single layer. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, flip the slices over and bake another 10 minutes or until nice and golden brown. Note: You can use this same method with okra (I use frozen) or yellow summer squash.

Sauteed Zucchini
    Ingredients: 1 medium sized zucchini, 1 tsp EVOO or coconut oil
    Directions: Slice the zucchini into rounds and then slice each round in half. Sautee in the oil over medium heat until done (usually about 10 minutes or so - depends on how cooked you like your veggies). Season as desired. So yummy and versatile. Add any other veggies you like as well - onions, mushrooms, yellow squash, peppers, diced tomatoes for a great veggie sautee.

As far as eggplant goes, I love to grill it or roast it in the oven with sweet potatoes, red onion, and mushrooms (cut the veggies into chunks about the same size, coat with a little EVOO and bake at 400 for about 20 -25 min).

I also agree with the reference to skinnytaste.com. The Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats are SO good!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    http://sheheartsit.com/food-drink/baked-eggplant/

Love love love this eggplant recipe!
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Rigatoni alla norma

Wow, that Norma sure can cook. That looks Amazing!!
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Asian Zucchini and Onion

Two Zucchinis, cut in half then into 1/4 inch strips
    One large white onion, cut in half then sliced in 1/4 inch strips
    1T fresh grated Ginger
    2T Low Sodium Soy Sauce

On medium high heat, saute Zucchinis and Onion together in a little bit of EVOO 4-5 min, ad Ginger and Soy saute until veggies are tender-crisp. 1-2 min.

Great Veggie Side Dish
    mmmmmmm
  • iarookie
    iarookie Posts: 140
    Options
    I love using :love: SparkRecipes.com for stuff like this... type in the word you want and a bunch of healthly recipes come up!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipes.asp?food=eggplant&anyall=ANY&c1=0&c2=0&c3=0&c4=0&c5=0&calories=&prep_time=0&total_time=0&calories_operation=1
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Bump for a few good recipes
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    bump
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Zucchini lasagna!! Layer zucchini, cottage cheese, tomato sauce and ground turkey (optional). Bake in the oven for an hour on 375degrees. So yummy!!
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    thanks for all of the ideas!!!
  • deanabailey
    deanabailey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Here are couple of my favorite ways to prepare zucchini (it's one of my fav veggies):

Baked Zucchini Slices
    Ingredients: 1 medium sized zucchini
    Directions: Take your zucchini and cut into either two or three pieces. Then take each piece and cut into quarter inch slices (you'll have 2-3 inch zucchini planks). Spray a foil lined baking sheet and lay out the zucchini planks. Season as desired (I usually just do a little salt and pepper). Bake at 400 for about 10-15 minutes. Flip the slices over and bake another 10 minutes or so.

Parmesan Zucchini Slices
    Ingredients: 1 medium sized zucchini, 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese, 1 tbsp italian seasoned breadcrumbs or Panko breadcrumbs.
    Directions: Take your zucchini and cut into either two or three pieces. Then take each piece and cut into quarter inch slices (you'll have 2-3 inch zucchini planks). Spray a foil lined baking sheet, lay out the zucchini planks, and season. Mix the parmesan and breadcrumbs and sprinkle on top of each zucchini plank. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until the topping is nicely browned.

"Fried" Zucchini
    Ingredients: 1 medium sized zucchini, 1 egg white, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tbsp corn meal
    Directions: Slice the zucchini into rounds about a quarter of an inch thick. Toss them into a ziploc bag and add the cornstarch. Shake until evenly coated. Beat the egg white a little and then add that to the ziploc and shake to coat (you may only need to use half of the egg white - judge for yourself). Finally add the corn meal and shake again making sure every slice is coated. Spray a foil lined baking sheet and dump the slices out. Make sure they are in a single layer. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, flip the slices over and bake another 10 minutes or until nice and golden brown. Note: You can use this same method with okra (I use frozen) or yellow summer squash.

Sauteed Zucchini
    Ingredients: 1 medium sized zucchini, 1 tsp EVOO or coconut oil
    Directions: Slice the zucchini into rounds and then slice each round in half. Sautee in the oil over medium heat until done (usually about 10 minutes or so - depends on how cooked you like your veggies). Season as desired. So yummy and versatile. Add any other veggies you like as well - onions, mushrooms, yellow squash, peppers, diced tomatoes for a great veggie sautee.

As far as eggplant goes, I love to grill it or roast it in the oven with sweet potatoes, red onion, and mushrooms (cut the veggies into chunks about the same size, coat with a little EVOO and bake at 400 for about 20 -25 min).

I also agree with the reference to skinnytaste.com. The Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini Boats are SO good!

I'm going to try these tonight!!
  • newjuli2012
    Options
    bump 4 awesome recipes!!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • midnight333
    Options
    Bump
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of zucchini recipes on my veggie recipe board on Pinterest but since I don't care for eggplant I haven't pinned those.
    www.pinterest.com/issypal