Breastfeeding and starving!!!!

Options
Anyone else breastfeeding right now. I have a 2 week old and I am starving all day long. I lost 6 pounds while pregnant and was hardly ever hungry. Now that I am feeding my little one, I am ravenous!! I crave sugar like it's my job and I don't know what to do. Anyone have any tips on how to maintain a good milk supply without eating myself out of house and home? Any suggestions on getting rid of these ridiculous sugar cravings too?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many cals do u net at the moment?
  • marywell
    Options
    How many cals do u net at the moment?
    I have no idea. I wanted to start tracking, but I snack around so much and have a newborn and a 2 year old at home with me all day on very little sleep I haven't made it that far. I am hoping to curb some of this constant hunger so it will be easier to track.
  • A_nori
    A_nori Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    At 2 weeks old, I would be focusing on getting all the nutrition you need and work on losing the weight later. The lack of sleep alone would make it tough to lose weight! If you are going to try to watch what you eat, remember that you need at least 500 extra calories a day for an exclusively breast fed baby. You need lots of protein and water to help keep your supply up. Our midwife recommended my husband make a lunch for me when he made his own so that I would have something to eat on the days when our son was being difficult. Its the only reason I ate sometimes in the early days! Now that he is 7 months old, its easier to focus on diet and getting back into shape.
  • asprague917
    Options
    just eat and eat, you need the extra calories to keep up your milk supply, i breastfeed exclusivley for 6 months...i didnt lose but i didnt gain either. if your craving sweet or sugar try eatting sweet fruit it should curb the craving.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    eat!!!!! your job right now is to make food for your baby! :) your life is too stressful right now to worry about calories...eat and sleep and enjoy those little ones!!
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't worry about weight loss right now. Wait at least 3 months and even then you shouldn't restrict too much. I recommend taking a few days to work out how many calories you consume--and track everything, no guessing or cheating!--to give yourself an idea of where you're at so you can adjust from there.

I'm still nursing my 2 year old and I can easily eat 2000 calories a day and still be hungry.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    have breastfed 4 little ones and say just eat!! eat when you're hungry or at least a small snack after every feeding along with a ton of water. try to make healthy choices but don't beat yourself up if you want something sugary. enjoy your little one and don't stess too much about the weight. I never lost weight while breastfeeding, but once I stop, bam, the weight comes off. just focus on your babies right now.....having kids that close is ALOT of work!!
  • iampanda
    iampanda Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    At 2 weeks old, I would be focusing on getting all the nutrition you need and work on losing the weight later. The lack of sleep alone would make it tough to lose weight! If you are going to try to watch what you eat, remember that you need at least 500 extra calories a day for an exclusively breast fed baby. You need lots of protein and water to help keep your supply up. Our midwife recommended my husband make a lunch for me when he made his own so that I would have something to eat on the days when our son was being difficult. Its the only reason I ate sometimes in the early days! Now that he is 7 months old, its easier to focus on diet and getting back into shape.

I agree with this. At 2 weeks, this just might not be the time to worry about it. Just make sure your food choices are healthy ones, and eat until satisfied. Keep healthy, quick snacks around the house- lots of fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, string cheese... Quality right now should be more important than quantity. Good luck!
  • mjrnner
    mjrnner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have nursed two little ones and was definitely very hungry - especially in the beginning, it does get better. My tips would be to try to keep healthy filling snacks on hand - nuts, cheese, yogurt, apples, peanut/almond butter, hard boiled eggs, turkey breast.
    and drink lots and lots and lots of water. I also made big containers of brewed fruit iced tea with a little honey - it made the water a little less boring and I drank more of it. When you are ready to get back to logging, there are multiple ways to account for bfeeding. Good for you for doing it! In the long run it will help the weight come off so just try to keep it healthy and eat the calories you need right now!
  • jbobb15
    jbobb15 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I exclusively breastfed both my kiddos to six months too. With my first I lost almost all my baby weight by the time he was nine months. With my second I finally just lost it all and she's 20 months. With him I'd say my appetite was normal, with her I was starving, and craving the sweets too just like you. I agree with the other posts about focusing on nutrition, because you (and your baby) are what you eat. Make sure your drinking plenty of water too. This is a special time that flies by all too quickly, so sit back and enjoy. Focus on enjoying your little ones, the weight loss will come.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I tried to "eat because you need to make food for your baby" and gained weight. What helped me the most was starting to prep food for no more than 2-3 hours a week that I could easily grab and go. In a typical week (read- ideal) I steam a bunch of broccoli, make a huge veggie stir fry, bake like 6 chicken breasts and roast some sweet potatoes.

Also, NOT eating my toddlers/preschoolers leftovers really helps. It's still going to waste if I'm eating it because I don't need it. Too many half-eaten PB&J's for this mama!

Changing my habits is the most difficult but most important thing for me. I know that I like to snack, so I eat frequently, but I try not to eat 6 huge meals. Also, I have been guilty of eating a huge portion of something because it will "hold me over until dinner" which never happens and then I end up being over for the day.

I am also in the Eat more to Weigh Less camp. Right now I have my calories set to 2200 because I still nurse ALL.NIGHT.LONG.

Best of luck to you mama!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    EAT! Your body is telling you something important.

Nursing is a great way to lose weight - SLOWLY. If you're hungry eat good healthy food. Also make sure you are DRINKING enough. People aren't always good at distinguishing hunger and thirst.

A new baby drinks 42 oz of milk a day. And you need fluids too! You should be drinking two gallons or so of water a day. I know when I started nursing that fact didn't fully sink in.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Okay, don't quote me, because I am going from memory when I was nursing in 1996. But I believe you need to consume 500 extra calories per day when you're nursing. My recollection is that your baby will be getting the calories and nutrients he/she needs and you will only benefit fro whatever is left.

Any pros out there that can confirm this or correct me???
  • elleru
    elleru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am literally breastfeeding Right Now! :-). I can totally relate. This article has good advice and tips.

Congratulations on your new delivery!

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-eating-little-affect-milk-production-breastfeeding-3008.html
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Increase your fat intake to decrease the sugar cravings. Peanut butter will curb your sweet tooth more than jelly. More sweets will make the cravings worse. And make sure you are eating enough calories.
  • mattwood02
    mattwood02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    LOL I know exactly how you feel! Mine is 2 months and I am still starving! I am trying to eat fruit instead of sugar and wont have it in the house! That way when I get "snacky" I cant grab it. Hoping to lose this baby weight too. Good luck!
  • Lilyin562
    Options
    I agree with increasing your fat intake. But at two weeks, just focus on getting the nutrition to your little one. My baby is 5 months, I'm still breastfeeding but just recently started to focus on my eating. It's alot easier when BFing. Good luck and congrats!
  • marywell
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful tips. This is my fourth child and with my first 3 I gained weight nursing and I was determined not to gain weight nursing this time but I think it's just my bodies nature. I will try to eat health, smaller meals and see if that helps.
  • ppp617
    ppp617 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    here's a great article re dieting and breastfeeding - http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

I am BFing my 3 month old and have just started pseudo-dieting by eating 1800 cals a day.