Is strength training a must?

Options
I am a stay home mom who doesn't get a lot of alone time. I picked up bicycling as a form of exercise and love it, but I keep hearing that I need to start doing strength training too. I have some dumb bells and a 10 pound medicine ball at home but I'm not sure what I need to do for strength training? I feel like my legs get a pretty nice work out cause I ride about 5 days a week for an hour and half to two hours at about 14 miles per hour but is that enough? Do I need to do more leg exercise like squats or lunges? Should I just focus on upper body and core? How many days per week do I need to do strength training? Am I ok with just bike riding? If it matters I need to lose another 70+ pounds.. Someone please help cause I'm a little unsure. Thanks, Cassandra

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Strength training is more important than cardio imo.

It's been awhile since I have done intensive strength training myself (I bought a used Bowflex that I have to figure out how to get back together and order missing parts for) but there are lots of resources online. I have used the resistance bands and I think they work well. There are also body weight exercises that give a good work out. Use what you have handy: bench and leg press your kids, if they are anything like my child, they will love it!

When I resume serious weight training, I will either do a whole body work out 3 days per week or I will work specific body areas separately 5-6 days per week. It will take a while to find out what works; I'm not 20 anymore. I plan to focus mostly on my upper body and core since those are my current weakest areas. It's just important to not over-do it (but, yes, lift heavy) and let your body recover between workouts.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a must. Riding a bike is cardio and it's not enough.

For beginners, full body lifting workouts 3 times per week is ideal but you can squeak by with 2 times per week. Focus on compound moves (versus isolation moves) that work several muscles at the same time.

Nia Shanks (an expert) covers most of what you need to know in this video "6 female strength training myths":

http://www.niashanks.com/2012/10/myth-buster-6-female-strength-training-myths-that-wont-die/

There are some great workouts available online. Check your local library for books on strength training.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    a must.

the biggest reason is that strength training will help preserve as much lean body as possible while you lose weight. most people lose weight to lose fat and using your muscles when you're eating at a deficit is a good way to make sure most of what you're losing is indeed fat.

second, most people who lose by diet or diet and cardio - especially those with a significant amount to lose - start to realize that thy still look flabby even though they are close to their weight goal. weight training will avoid that altogether

third weight training is pretty freaking cool. i love being able to lift more than my body weight on things and can't wait until i'm there on ALL my compound lifts
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If you want to burn off fat instead of muscle, then you gotta get enough protein and you gotta work your muscles with weights.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's necessarily a MUST... but it's a damn good idea and you're better off doing it than not. :wink:
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    +1 to yes IF you want to look good when you've lost the weight. If you can;t get access to lifting equipment, look for a good bodyweight routine. I use weights myself, but I see "You are your own gym" get recommended a lot for bodyweight training.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Need to lift heavy. 3 sets of 10 reps. workout every muscle in your body 2-4 times per week
  • MrDelts
    MrDelts Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    For females strength training is a MUST.. Not just for strength ,weight loss and looks, but for bone density. A very high percentage of women suffer from bone density related issues including osteoporosis as they age. Most can be avoided by Strength training. There are women who strength train in there 50's and 60's and have the bone density of 20 and 30 year olds.
  • skinnyjeans1920
    skinnyjeans1920 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Absolutely a must! Women lose a 1/4 pound of muscle every year after they turn 40. Quite simply, muscle burns fat, so if you are losing muscle it is harder to lose weight. Hence, women complain that it is harder to lose weight as they get older!!

You can find plenty of weight training routines online to get you started. As you progress get some heavier weights too!