college student here! I need help cooking!

Options
2»

Replies

• JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you just brush the chicken with a tiny bit of olive oil and sprinkle it with salt and pepper, it won't be dry and it tastes great! Olive oil is good for you (in moderation of course).
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great ideas, keep 'em comming!
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My favorite "lazy" chicken is to line a baking sheet with foil, put boneless skinless chicken breasts on the pan. Sprinkle them with Morton's Season All seasoning salt (blue container). Bake at 350* until it's done. Don't overcook. Overcooked chicken breasts are dry. Don't undercook, 'cause that's not tasty or safe :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Another methd to keep them juicy is to sear them. In a pan or on the grill cook one side so jsut the outer layer is cooked and flip it and do it on the other side. It locks the juices inside while the inner part of the breast is cooking.

This is our go to way to make a quick, tasty meal.

Heat olive oil in a pan (one that can go in oven too) over medium heat, make sure you let it heat up, the pan needs to be hot. Took me awhile to master that, I am too impatient. Season the breast with whatever, we use just a little salt and pepper, or cayenne pepper, or any mix of spices ( my husband basically just grabs whatever is close and it usually works). Place in pan, 3 minutes a side. It should be pretty brown, then right into a pre-heated over at 375 for 8 or so minutes, depending on thickness of the breast. You need to let it sit a few minutes before cutting. We usually eat this with a rice, salad or sweet potato and veggies.
  • strive2behealthy
    strive2behealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    omg you guys ROCK. i can't wait to test these out :D
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My first question is why you're just looking to eat chicken and broccoli. I'm hoping some carbs are there. I would suggest brown rice. Sidenote - i'm a college student as well. Food should always taste good no matter what.

There's a couple of things i do. When i get a ton of chicken breasts i'll sear them off initially on the grill or pan (with salt and and other spices) at the same time i let the oven get to 350 degrees. Place the chicken onto a baking pan and pour some liquid on the bottom. You can put water (bland) or chicken stock ( delicious) or red wine (the best). If you're going to put wine. I would suggest a mix of chicken stock and wine and add some veggies and roast them off with it.

Broccoli is awesome when they are blanched with salt and cooked slightly with butter and spices or just some cheese.

You need to have protein, carbs, and fat. When you have a balanced mix of all of those you not only eat something delicious but nutritious as well.

Hope that helped
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Oven bags or foil pouches. You can find cheap George foreman grills at garage sales/thrift stores. If you haven't tried sriracha on your chicken you are missing out.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Buy a $20 rice cooker. Yes you can cook meat in there, and anything else for that matter. Place all parts of meal into cooker, add a small amount of water, and press cook. Plus everything is steamed, so it is extremely moist. No add fats needed unless you want them. Best purchase I've ever made. Its the fast version of a slow cooker.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    My advice to go with all the other wonderful ideas is just to never overcook the chicken because then it will be dry and tasteless no matter what. I would also like to add baked broccoli is great. Just take florets and spray them, sprinkle with spices and bake along side the chicken. It has a more intense flavor.
  • es2189
    es2189 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Check out biggirlssmallkitchen.com. Lots of great low-cal recipes for when you are young and limited on space/equipment/etc.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I almost always cook it in boiling water. Throw a stock cube (you can get low sodium ones if that's what you're after) in the water with it and toss all the veg in there too. The stock makes the veg taste delicious and the chicken is always lovely and tender.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Bump