Sugar - Is It Fair To Count Natural the Same As Processed?

Options

Replies

• issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oragnic all the way. :-)
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't pay as much attention to sugars for the very reason you describe. In doing some research the other day on this very issue, natural sugars are processed into energy easier...processed sugars skip a step (and an organ the article said) and don't transfer to energy well and instead, get stored to fat quickly.
  • issystclaire
    Options
    I agree that you appear to be eating very healthy and wouldn't stress over it. However, if you are concerned and want to reduce your intake further, ditch the juice and/or dried fruit.

Yup, I know dried fruits have even more sugars than fresh. And as said, I am seriously considering the juicer - plus that way, I can juice veg and fruit to make some more interesting combinations. :-)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    As I said, I believe in the natural path - anything that doesn't come from the earth naturally I do not want in my body, anything that has a massive list of ingredients on its package - I am not eating it, anything that even comes in a package to begin with - most likely I am not eating it, anything that is anything other than mininmally processed - you guessed it, I am not eating it, lol.

. But that's me. People have different opinions on this school of thought, but for me, it is the one I subscribe to. :-)

I think thats great, and not having a go or anything. I wouldn;t have the will power to do it myself, much as I would imagine there are massive benefits too it

Was just wondering was all.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well I only eat one fruit a day usually (an apple, a banana, etc), so I think I am ok in terms of ammount.

Candy as well will have lots of nasty little chemicals such as artificial flavourings/colourings. I think I will go ahead and turn off the sugar counter as I am doing exactly what I used to do when I lost 25lbs before, so obviously it is ok! I know I don't eat processed sugars so I am probably just stressing myself out more by looking at it and it is unneccessary!

I think that will help de-stress you. Obviously fruit is better than candy, so your are on the right track. Just keep track of total carbs and you'll feel better. :flowerforyou:
  • issystclaire
    Options

I think thats great, and not having a go or anything. I wouldn;t have the will power to do it myself, much as I would imagine there are massive benefits too it

Was just wondering was all.

Not gonna pretend it is a piece of cake, bc it's not! I still get cravings for sweets and crisps like anyone else! The biggest challenge for me was re-programming my tastebudes - the first couple months are the hardest, but eventually I find my body/tastebuds get used to the natural stuff and that is what I start to crave naturally - and even the thought of stuff like pizza, nachos, etc does not seem appealing.

It is a great feeling when that stage comes, because it truly means I have made progress! I am still in the process of getting there (yet again), but I know in time it will come.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Organic food is chock full of chemicals and processed as well
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    This is one of the 'hot button' issues here.

For me sugar is sugar. If you're interested in the chemical background and the reactions etc.. you can watch Sugar: The Bitter Truth on you tube -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM I will agree that fruit is better than HFCS but less sugar = better.
  • issystclaire
    Options

I respect your opinion, but I know what I am putting in my body, I read the ingredients on everything I buy.

I would like to know where you get your information from, as you have simply made a statement, yet not backed it up with any evidence?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would like to know where you get your information from, as you have simply made a statement, yet not backed it up with any evidence?
    A foodstuff being "organic" refers to the conditions the agricultural crops are grown in, and doesn't point to a lack of processing. I don't think anyone needs evidence to back that up, for example it's blatantly obvious that organic chocolate has been processed from a number of ingredients. Organic sugar is made the same way as any other sugar, but from an organically grown crop. "Chemicals" are used in its processing.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Recently though, I have been thinking of getting a juicer so I can still have juice at breakfast, butmake it myself every day. That way, I know there is nothing dodgy in it, even if the juices I buy do say "all natural" etc!
    The "all natural" bit is something I try and steer clear of now and reminded me of this article on cracked -- who knew?!

The 6 Most Horrifying Lies The Food Industry is Feeding You
    http://www.cracked.com/article_19433_the-6-most-horrifying-lies-food-industry-feeding-you.html
  • issystclaire
    Options
    A foodstuff being "organic" refers to the conditions the agricultural crops are grown in, and doesn't point to a lack of processing. I don't think anyone needs evidence to back that up, for example it's blatantly obvious that organic chocolate has been processed from a number of ingredients. Organic sugar is made the same way as any other sugar, but from an organically grown crop. "Chemicals" are used in its processing.

I agree with this, but I do not eat chocolate atm (*tear!). I eat very fresh foods. I rarely have anything that comes in a package, unless it is like nuts, peanutbutter, etc.

I think it is more a fact of common sense. If you buy things that say "all natural" "organic", etc, without taking the time to look at the labels or educate yourself on what you are eating, then it is very probable that you are still eating things that aren't exactly good for you.

As others have brought up about juice...I found out recently that even juice which has "no sugar added" and "not from concentrate" are treated with chemicals so they stay "fresher" for long. Real juice which is made straight from fruit, i.e. like from a juicer, has no preservatives in it so will go off very quickly. which is why they have to put them in so their product won't spoil so quickly.

One thing I won't agree with though, are people who immediately attack the "all natural" way of eating without a thought. I hear it time and time again, "it's still not always as healthy as you think" and I have to feel after a while, that it is a bit condescending. I have educated myself on a lot of things in terms of where food comes from and what is done to it, and though I will never get literally 100% all natural unless I grow the stuff, pick it and prepare it myself, that is not to say that what I do eat isn't as close as possible to being as natural as I can hope for living in an urban environment.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I respect your opinion, but I know what I am putting in my body, I read the ingredients on everything I buy.

Are you confused about organic foods containing chemicals or that lots of them are processed?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Are you confused about organic foods containing chemicals or that lots of them are processed?
    They are just one of those people, that believe organic food is grown and just magically appears at the grocery store.

The term organic has to be the biggest scam in the food industry.
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes, all sugar is the same in the end and the effects it has on the human body.

False.

Ultimately all sugar gets converted to glucose, but there are some major differences.

Refined / Processed Sugar (sucrose) - Completely void of any nutritional benefit, spikes insulin.
    Fruit (fructose) - Typically has some nutritional content, elevates and then moderates insulin (read this again, it has big implications)

If you suffer from poor insulin response, limiting all forms of sugar is a good idea.
    If you are running a caloric deficit, you can eat any type of sugar you want with minimal harm.
    If you are an average person looking to lose weight, limiting your sugar intake to fructose is a good idea. Basically minimize processed sugar.

Timing of sugar is very relevant. Eating a pound of gummy bears immediately following intense exercise is not the same as eating gummy bears before bed.

I eat around 400g of carbs on training days, with at least 125 grams coming from delicious sugar.

Several trainers I know eat huge amounts of candy following their workouts - they have 6% bf or less. The point - sugar is not bad, just use intelligence regarding the amounts and timing.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is not entirely tru though. Iodized salt is chemical - natural sea salt will be straight from the ocean. I believe very strongly in eating all natural/no chemical foods so I tend to stay away from anything that is procssed.

So now you've piqued my interest. Iodised salt exists for a reason, iodine is a trace element required in the diet to prevent iodine deficiency, which is associated with mental retardation, and it affects 2 billion people worldwide. Many of the 2 billion people that are affected subside on foodstuffs that you'd label 'all natural' and 'unprocessed', so...kind of a self-defeating argument.

There's a difference between 'processed' food and 'all natural / no chemical' foods.

All natural - Did you know all citrus fruit contain very high levels of ascorbic acid - a chemical which is added to many other foodstuffs? You'd also know ascorbic acid as Vitamin C. Without it, food rots / degrades far quicker. So how is consuming citrus any different from consuming a foodstuff with Vitamin C as an additive?

What about either sodium or potassium nitrite? These are commonly-used preservatives. You know where they originate from? Salts. Not sodium chloride salt, but other salts (originally mined from caves; now produced in much purer form in bulk commercially). The reason they're used is they are adept at preventing bacterial infection of meats. The original form of treatment - adding salts to prevent the meat from going off - could loosely be described as 'natural'; if the treatment changes to using a purer substance than is available in nature, and maximising the benefit of the treatment, is there any real difference?

Almost all standard foods are processed in some ways. Cheese? A process. Butter? A process. Milk? A process (pasteurisation). Slaughtered food? Process. Process is required to turn the raw product into a finished product, and process is required to make some foodstuffs safe. Cooking is a process! Fermentation is a process! Curing is a process!

Unless you're digging vegetables straight out of the ground and eating them raw, slaughtering your own animals and eating the meat raw, drinking milk straight out of the cow's teat, picking your own fruit and eating them on the spot, you're not actually avoiding the 'processing' part of the equation.

The final thing which I find really, really hard to reconcile between natural / processed is the amount of processing which is attached to things that actually directly have an impact on our health. Antibiotics and medicines are 100% processed, and even those that are touted as 'natural' are so heavily processed as to not be recognisable as the original form whatsoever. Yet these have a huge net benefit on health and wellbeing - so surely processing cannot be the evil it's made out to be.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

One thing I won't agree with though, are people who immediately attack the "all natural" way of eating without a thought. I hear it time and time again, "it's still not always as healthy as you think" and I have to feel after a while, that it is a bit condescending. I have educated myself on a lot of things in terms of where food comes from and what is done to it, and though I will never get literally 100% all natural unless I grow the stuff, pick it and prepare it myself, that is not to say that what I do eat isn't as close as possible to being as natural as I can hope for living in an urban environment.

Eat what you want, and feel good about it. It's your body! :flowerforyou:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar. It's not that important to me.
  • sallysuze
    sallysuze Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sugar is Sugar. Same same I would have guessed.

Like Salt v "thats sea salt, natural" smae thing mate

This is not entirely tru though. Iodized salt is chemical - natural sea salt will be straight from the ocean. I believe very strongly in eating all natural/no chemical foods so I tend to stay away from anything that is procssed.
    So what do you do with water? It is natural, and also a chemical... H2O.
    Everything is chemistry - I think you get confused perhaps with your definations.
    If chemicals are so bad, then try living without any lol. You won't last too long.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I would clarify that fructose is processed almost entirely by the liver. Eating too much of it places a load on the liver that may be unhealthy.

Having a cup of strawberries (maybe 9 g of sugar) won't be an issue, but a granola bar or cereal (25+g of sugar) plus all the other food, beverages, condiments etc that contain fructose as the sugar ... it adds up over a day. If one can reduce the foods that contain sugar (including too much of fresh & dried fruit), it becomes easier to lose weight.