Is too few calories possible???

Options
2»

Replies

• gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Try it for a few months then say you feel ok on 1000 cals a day. :frown:

I've been at it for 2 months and don't eat more than 1200. Feel good. losing weight, blood pressure down, skin and hair look good, brain function is high, and full of energy. gastric Bypass patients don't usually eat much more than 1000 and probably eat a lot less than that. (not that i've had gastric bypass, but I have friends who have).

10 years ago, I lost around 100 lbs in a year by eating 900-1100 calories per day.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Simple answer, yes!

Need food to live :)
  • emmajohnson747
    emmajohnson747 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been eating under my cals for awhile,I have experienced a lot of weight loss and i am still keeping it off!
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    True Story:

My mom, who has a very physically demanding job, started eating one meal a day. For 6 months to a year, she lost lost lost. She went from a size 18 to a size 12 She is 5'7 and was down to 180lbs. Now, another year later, she hasn't changed anything, still demanding job, same eating habits, and she is back up to a size 16, and 204lbs. So, yes, you will loose, and eventually, after your body is getting enough nutrients it will take whatever you put into it and store it as fat, and you will gain.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    The idea that your body's metabolism will slow down to such an extend that you will not lose weight on a large caloric deficit is complete myth. Some people can make it seem like a reasonable assumption citing metabolic processes, and hormone functions but the real world result is that eating less makes you lose weight. If you are overweight, you do not need to worry about "starvation mode"

But the myth keeps getting posted day after day
  • swopely
    swopely Posts: 28
    Options
    I am on a very low calorie and low carb diet and am under a physician's supervision through a hospital program I started out about 160 lbs overweight and although my diet is pretty drastic and not for everyone it has worked really well for me. So far , I have lost 40 lbs in about 2 months . So it is possible to lose a lot of weight on this type of diet as long as it is only a temporary situation.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    True Story:

My mom, who has a very physically demanding job, started eating one meal a day. For 6 months to a year, she lost lost lost. She went from a size 18 to a size 12 She is 5'7 and was down to 180lbs. Now, another year later, she hasn't changed anything, still demanding job, same eating habits, and she is back up to a size 16, and 204lbs. So, yes, you will loose, and eventually, after your body is getting enough nutrients it will take whatever you put into it and store it as fat, and you will gain.

Unless you are with your mother 24/7, we don't really know if that's a true story. Not that I think you or your mother is lying, but study after study demonstrates that most people underestimate what they eat or forget items if they aren't tracking them. I'm very conscious of what I eat, and I find that if I don't log at the beginning and follow that plan, I will be tracking and thinking I'm done and then doh! Remember. Doh! Remember that too. Tomorrow--doh! Forgot that yesterday! This is also why I take the anecdotal evidence cited earlier in this thread about metabolic slowdown with a big chunk of rock salt.

Women also lose muscle mass as they age unless they take specific steps through exercise to prevent that. That can lead to gaining weight on the same calories. But your mother is likely not producing 25 lbs of fat from one meal a day, unless that meal is quite substantial, because before that can go to fat, her organs need to work. I'd be interested to see what her hormones, including stress hormones, are up to if she is truly eating as she says.

That said, eat enough. Too few is possible from a few perspectives, including micro and macros. Some people can eat enough to support their bodies on 1200. Some can't. I don't need as many calories as someone who weighs 100-200 lbs than me, so why would we eat the same number of calories? I believe the 1200 number is a good rough estimate, to account for micronutrients at least. But we should remember--people can be obese and malnourished. Someone eating 1,800 calories is not necessarily doing better in the micro or macro nutrient department than someone on 1200.

I've never experienced starvation mode at 1200 calories. (To be fair, take that anecdotal bit with a big chunk of rock salt.) I'm not suffering or miserable. I believe that it's not a good number for everyone, but it is so often automatically assumed to be wrong here, even without any information about the person in question.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Because it's not all about how you feel, it's about what's best for your body. Experts are experts because they know better than the rest of us... listen to them.
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    True Story:

Unless you are with your mother 24/7, we don't really know if that's a true story. Not that I think you or your mother is lying, but study after study demonstrates that most people underestimate what they eat or forget items if they aren't tracking them. I'm very conscious of what I eat, and I find that if I don't log at the beginning and follow that plan, I will be tracking and thinking I'm done and then doh! Remember. Doh! Remember that too. Tomorrow--doh! Forgot that yesterday! This is also why I take the anecdotal evidence cited earlier in this thread about metabolic slowdown with a big chunk of rock salt.

Women also lose muscle mass as they age unless they take specific steps through exercise to prevent that. That can lead to gaining weight on the same calories. But your mother is likely not producing 25 lbs of fat from one meal a day, unless that meal is quite substantial, because before that can go to fat, her organs need to work. I'd be interested to see what her hormones, including stress hormones, are up to if she is truly eating as she says.

That said, eat enough. Too few is possible from a few perspectives, including micro and macros. Some people can eat enough to support their bodies on 1200. Some can't. I don't need as many calories as someone who weighs 100-200 lbs than me, so why would we eat the same number of calories? I believe the 1200 number is a good rough estimate, to account for micronutrients at least. But we should remember--people can be obese and malnourished. Someone eating 1,800 calories is not necessarily doing better in the micro or macro nutrient department than someone on 1200.

I've never experienced starvation mode at 1200 calories. (To be fair, take that anecdotal bit with a big chunk of rock salt.) I'm not suffering or miserable. I believe that it's not a good number for everyone, but it is so often automatically assumed to be wrong here, even without any information about the person in question.

Purely an observation I have made. I wasn't attacking, I didn't specify calories, not really sure why you decided to tell me I am all wrong. There is no magic number. If the OP is that worried about it she can talk to a dietician or her doctor.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Purely an observation I have made. I wasn't attacking, I didn't specify calories, not really sure why you decided to tell me I am all wrong. There is no magic number. If the OP is that worried about it she can talk to a dietician or her doctor.

Because you used your observation to back up a claim in a discussion where you told someone she would gain fat? I disagreed with you and explained why. I likewise did not attack you, so I'm not sure why you're upset.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Very low calorie diets should be medically supervised. It can be dangerous. I think you would be more successful if you regard this as a lifestyle change though. You cant and shouldn't try to live on a low calorie diet for the rest of your life. You can live happily ever after making reasonable choices..and living normally.
  • HotDolphinMama
    HotDolphinMama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You need adequate nutrition to maintain bodily functions at optimum levels. Too few calories possible? Absolutely... Can you still lose weight at 1000 calorie diet... certainly... However, the weight you may be losing will be the weight associated with your lean mass... not what you want to lose... I am currently about 233 lbs... Several years ago, I went on a strict diet and ate like 750-1200 cals per day... The result? I lost weight quickly (and regained it quickly too).... I wore a medium shirt and a size 34 pant... I was also 170 lbs... Right now? I weigh 233 and my clothes? size 34 (loose fit) and large shirt (because my shoulders are not comfortable in a medium.... Hmmmm difference? Muscle/lean mass. A cubic inch of muscle is much heavier than a cubic inch of fat. Maintain a really low calorie diet and you will likely lose weight pretty fast... but if you do it a bit more sensibly and eat a little more with good protein stores, I think you will like your eventual results quite a bit better....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Why do many of the studies with VLCD include comments regarding their participants that they selected those that had no previous dieting attempts. Been noticing that lately on several of the studies posted. And even on those that make no comments one way or another, why is is overweight young women many times? Same reason?

Anyway, just been noticing that lately.

Christian Weyer, Roy L Walford, Inge T Harper, Mike Milner, Taber MacCallum, P Antonio Tataranni and Eric Ravussin, "Energy metabolism after 2 y of energy restriction: the Biosphere 2 experiment", American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 72, No. 4, 946-953, October 2000.

Friedlander AL, et al. "Three weeks of caloric restriction alters protein metabolism in normal-weight, young men" Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab., 2005 Sep;

Welle SL, Seaton TB, Campbell RG. "Some metabolic effects of overeating in man", Am J Clin Nutr. 1986 Dec;

That one is interesting - because their metabolism went back UP after eating more. Which means it was lower than it needed to be for the weight they were at.

Martin CK, Heilbronn LK, de Jonge L, Delany JP, Volaufova J, Anton SD, Redman LM, Smith SR, Ravussin E. "Effect of calorie restriction on resting metabolic rate and spontaneous physical activity", Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007

Rosenbaum M, Hirsch J, Gallagher DA, Leibel RL., Long-term persistence of adaptive thermogenesis in subjects who have maintained a reduced body weight. Am J Clin Nutr., 2008 Oct;
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oh look, it's this thread again....
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Try it for a few months then say you feel ok on 1000 cals a day. :frown:

This^ 150%. I did this, really stupidly, and unintentionally a few years ago. I was eating 1,200 calories (but actually went to a nutritionist and found out I was eating more like 900 calories and I was overestimating my calorie intake), would burn 400-600 calories in the gym every day with MAYBE one day off a week. So, basically I was only netting 600-700 calories a day, if I was lucky. I found this out because I had horrible symptoms that were right up in line with hypothyroidism, and trust me, if you know someone who is hypo, it's NOT fun. My nails were horrible, my hair was falling out, I was breaking out like crazy, I was super lethargic, super depressed and moody, and I just started feeling HORRIBLE. But in the beginning I felt great, and thought "well, if I'm full, it shouldn't matter". Seriously, losing weight in means that puts your health in risk is NEVER EVER okay. There are perfectly healthy ways, and MPF is set up in a way so you have those tools to utilize that my ignorant self didn't have. I ended up going from 170 at the beginning of my diet and jumping up to over 190. After I started eating "normal" again, it took 3-4 months to get my metabolism back to normal, and in that time frame I was putting on weight like you wouldn't believe. Please, be careful.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    When I eat at or over 1000 calories, I feel too full and overall uncomfortable. I'm not starving myself either. I eat a hearty breakfast and a decent lunch and dinner. I'm rarely hungry.

Do you like fluffy things and pink too? How super awesome you are just stuffed on 1000 cals!! It's a wonder you have any fat anyway when you eat so little. Don't promote your muscle eating bad habits. If you must starve yourself please keep it to yourself.