Last 10 Pounds?

Options
SO... If you're reading this you most likely are down to your last ten pounds, which deserves a great big CONGRATULATIONS!!! Yippee for everyone! That being said, however- If any of you are like me, you have been working on these last ten pounds for a lot longer that you had been planning. You change your diet, you burn more calories...you get into a rhythm and everything is going as planned. Your confidence boosts and you are on top of the freaking world. But then- just when you are just getting used to your new rhythm you need to change it AGAIN because the last ten pounds require a much stricter regimen. (At least if your last ten land you at your "ideal" weight)

Does anyone have any advice? What to cut out and what to add or change to my diet or exercise? Besides the fact that I have a sweet tooth that I give in to here and there (and the occasional friday night at the bar)- I eat quite Healthily. I DO go over on my 1200 calorie/day goal fairly regularly- which I am okay with because its usually only by 100-300 and 1500 cals is still enough to lose weight. I am also a dance minor in college so I am definitely active. But I haven't BUDGED since late July/August! I really do not want to completely cut out carbs or sugar or alcohol or whatever else...how boring!? I can't help but think there are other ways.

Have any of you finally gotten over that last hump and if so, can you help a sista out? I am 5' 3.75'' at 125 and want to be 115-118lbs. SO CLOSE!!! And I know I am not alone- So please speak up!

Replies

• CoachJenniferM
    Options
    My husband went through a similar plateau. This is what worked for him:

Are you doing roughly the same type of workouts over and over? If so, try switching it up. For example, if you do mostly cardio, consider adding strength training, or vice versa. Your body can adapt to what you've been doing for awhile to a point where it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Have you been eating mostly low-fat? If so, try adding some good fats back into your diet. Your body adapts in this way, too. If you haven't been giving it much fat, it may be holding on to whatever little bit it gets. But if you introduce some good fats back in (avocados, almonds, peanut butter, etc.) it will learn to start letting go of it again.

These are just suggestions and like I said, it worked for my husband!

Good luck!!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have been at that plateau! I don't know how much you've already lost, what your workouts are like, and where you are in your goals, other than 10lbs away from the "ideal weight", but it's possible that 1200 calories a day isn't enough. Eating too little gives your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

When I got stuck, I found this topic and ran all my numbers through the tools there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Turns out I needed a lot more calories than what I had been eating. Upped them, following the guidelines in the thread, and the scale started moving again. But even better than that - I have recently realized that while I'm still hovering a few pounds above my "goal weight", my clothes are fitting more loosely, I'm seeing more muscle and definition on my arms, legs, and even my stomach, because the fat is coming off!

As we lose the weight, exercise and become more fit, our calorie needs change, especially if we're working harder to get that high calorie burn. Which is also a common problem, and another one I had to overcome - over training can give you the opposite results as well. I don't know if that's an issue for you, but just in case, here's a great article on that: http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out but really try eating more.

Listen I'm older than you so my metabolism isn't so great and I have a desk job so I'm not as active plus I'm a couple inches shorter but I eat 1300 and lose! I lose about .7 pounds a week which I think is great.You seem to understand you could eat 1500 and still lose so why not try it?

Also you do a lot of dance so you do enough cardio, so I think weights would help you change things up. You have to be strong to to be a dancer so lifting should be a good workout for you. Or have you tied bootcamp. I love bootcamp.
  • Gogretchen1
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it.

I think that I might change my "plan" on here to allow for more calories. I also do pretty much do cardio for my exercise... so perhaps it is time for me to switch things up and add some cardio in. It is so hard for me to find time outside of class and work to work out (I just count my 90 min. dance classes towards my daily work outs). But even if it is only a small amount each day- I think that is maybe all that I need.

Thanks Again!!