1200 is not difficult.

Options

Replies

• leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for a few months. I started out set at a 2 lb. a week loss and was eating 1200 calories. I was going to the gym 3 times a week and was losing. After about a month and a half, I stalled and was feeling hungry much of the time. I had read on some of the forums about stalled weight loss on low calories and how people started losing again after upping calories. I changed my setting to 1 lb. a week and now get 1440 calories a day. I have started losing again and am much happier with my extra 240 calories.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the forums tonight and have read around 10 different posts from people saying that 1200 is impossible, or that unless they workout, there's no calories left for dinner, or that 1200 calories a day translates to starving yourself or living on only salads.

My diary is open- I eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. If you eat healthy, real food, 1200 calories is not difficult and I'm not starving. make good choices and avoid garbage - then if you go over, it's not a big deal. sometimes I'm under 1200 - I get busy and don't want to eat at 10pm just to get calories in.

Btw, I started at 255, 2 months ago and have lost 29lbs and feel good. I'm not saying that a person with less to lose should restrict as much, but for me, and a lot of other people, losing the weight fast is more motivating to stick to their plan than being allowed to eat more but only losing .5 lbs a week.

Are you short? This works for most short people, not tall people. It all depends on your RMR. Taller people have a higher RMR so this would be to low for them.

1200 is such a stupid number to get stuck on. What you need to eat for a deficit is relative to your RMR.

To tell everyone eat more is wrong.

To tell everyone to eat less is wrong.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux and everyone is different.

I was able to handle a pretty deep calorie deficit because I'm very disciplined and eat healthy (good fuel for the body so I can perform well at the gym) and I do not have emotional eating issues. I have a very low RMR so my doctor said I could go lower than 1200.

I'm glad it's working for you sweetheart, but it won't work for bigger people with higher RMR.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    To me yogurt isn't a meal. If you're exercising you need more than 1200 calories.

Yogurt is definitely a snack. (or an add-in)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry OP, but this thread is not going to end well for you.

People are going to jump all over you, you're going to get angry, and it's going to devolve in to a debate about starvation mode.

1200 calories is a BARE MINIMUM to get adequate nutrition. You're likely sacrificing muscle mass by losing so fast, and you're going to hit an early plateau. I don't want to attack you, I'm happy for your success thus far, but that's the truth.

The point should also be made that hunger is not a good barometer for adequate intake. Consider obese people, who eat, say, 7000 calories a day. They still get hungry between meals, despite getting plenty of calories. Also, people on VLCD's lose their regular appetite. Hunger is largely a trained behavior- you get hungry when you're used to eating. Think about when you have a big breakfast- often you'll still be hungry at your regular lunch time. Hunger can't be trusted.
  • oosaah
    oosaah Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I think that I eat big, healthy meals yet consistently find myself below my goal of 1200. I just do my best to hit my macros. Feel free to have a look (maybe look at yesterday and the day before because it's only 11am here so today isn't full yet). Feel free to criticize if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not hungry, I don't feel like I'm starving myself, and if I work out for an extended period of time, I just try to supplement it with a big green smoothie or something in the like.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Glad you can stick with it, but some of us prefer to minimize lean mass losses and would rather lose slower to do so.

If your profile pic is current, you clearly don't have as much fat to lose as I do.
    I have noticed that often when someone posts about eating 1200 cals a day, people are quick to jump in to say it's not enough, but slow to ask how much they have to lose.

When I get closer to a healthier weight, I will slowly increase my calories, but for now, 1200 is working, and not difficult.
    and I'm not in a coma. :)

That is true that someone with a high body fat percentage can safely do 1200 calories. It is also true that without enough protein and strength training, a higher portion of the weight loss will come from lean body mass. That is why I stick to 1800. it is about 100 calories over my BMR. And then I work my *kitten* off three times a week for about a half hour.

I think it's just about your goals. Some people want to lose weight, then get strong. I prefer to gradually get stronger while I gradually burn fat. It's just different goals. :flowerforyou:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    No thanks! I'll stay skinny and eat 1800-2100 calories a day. :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I eat at 1200 too. I eat all the time. Every few hours. I'm never hungry. I feel great, except when I hit "clock in".

I'm also short. I can't even reach the cereal. :sad:

I understand that taller people need to eat more.

I'm satisfied at 1200. I don't like people telling me I need to eat more.

Different strokes for different folks.

:drinker:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Calories are not a one size fits all thing. It all depends on your BMR and TDEE. How tall you are, what lean muscle mass you have?

1200 is completely sustainable for some and not for others.

And I agree that it's not hard to do and I could choose foods to stay around 1000 calories but I know it's not healthy and that I will lose a higher amount of lean muscle mass then I want. I want fat loss, not just weight loss.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and I think that I eat big, healthy meals yet consistently find myself below my goal of 1200. I just do my best to hit my macros. Feel free to have a look (maybe look at yesterday and the day before because it's only 11am here so today isn't full yet). Feel free to criticize if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not hungry, I don't feel like I'm starving myself, and if I work out for an extended period of time, I just try to supplement it with a big green smoothie or something in the like.

80 grams of corned beef (I think, I googled coles silverside), a tomato and some cucumber is not my idea of a big healthy meal.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I suggest more protein. You are getting 60ish grams on your best days and as low as 19 grams on others. A spoonful of hemp seeds in your green smoothies will bump up both protein and Omega 3 and Omega 6 that work with protein in your body. :flowerforyou:
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Wow I have a issue going from 1680 to 1440 to 2 lbs lost per week ...

1440 I feel like I am starving but 1680 I dont have an issue at all..

210 lbs 29 years old...

1200 I would be murdering people
    Pfff i pitty you hard lol....im 162 and im cutting at 2200 lol and still dropping easy if i had to eat 1400 id quit
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options

80 grams of corned beef (I think, I googled coles silverside), a tomato and some cucumber is not my idea of a big healthy meal.

corned beef? I don't remember the last time I had corned beef. If you're referring to my lunch today- I was at a luncheon and had roast beef and a salad. Chose the closest thing I could find.
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I come in well under 1200 day. I feel full and satisfied. I've been losing weight. I exercise. Maybe it won't always work. But then I will change things to work again. People are all different, which is fine - even great. If someone wants advice, then give it. Otherwise, some of us figure it out for ourselves. :/
  • oosaah
    Options

It was actually a small steak with a greek salad on the side. To be fair, I was brokenhearted that I was out of feta. And it was due to the fact that I had finished eating lunch two hours prior and was heading off to a class until 9pm. I try not to eat too much in the evenings because it makes me feel nauseous when I lie down if I'm too full, but I'm doing my best to supplement that by eating the bulk of my calories earlier in the day. A steak with a side salad is a perfectly reasonable dinner for me. I went to class feeling satiated and happy, and the protein kept me alert and awake all throughout the lecture.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Since that works for you, that makes sense. For me, those numbers would pass my maintenance and be in weight gain territory.
  • oosaah
    Options

I suggest more protein. You are getting 60ish grams on your best days and as low as 19 grams on others. A spoonful of hemp seeds in your green smoothies will bump up both protein and Omega 3 and Omega 6 that work with protein in your body. :flowerforyou:

Thank you!! That's so helpful! I'm not a huge fan of red meat and I'm just beginning to look for other high protein alternatives! You're the best :D
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

corned beef? I don't remember the last time I had corned beef. If you're referring to my lunch today- I was at a luncheon and had roast beef and a salad. Chose the closest thing I could find.

For supper you had logged Coles Silverside. As I said, I googled it, wasn't sure what that was. It came up as corned beef.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

And I'll continue losing 1 pound a week eating 1800-2000 calories a day :drinker: HIGH FIVE!
  • oosaah
    Options

For supper you had logged Coles Silverside. As I said, I googled it, wasn't sure what that was. It came up as corned beef.

I think y'all are getting a little confused with whose diary is whose. Sorry I hijacked this thread a little :/ My bad.