Protein powder on a college budget!

Options
Well I never thought I'd see the day I was going to buy protein powder. I always associated it with the no neck goofballs that constantly bolstered the "GET BIG!" Motto - and that is definitely NOT what I want to do.

In saying this, I have started to work out and I will be trying to build a bit of muscle while trying to lower my bf 2.3% so I can see some definition. I've been able to hit about 120-140 g of protein a day naturally through chicken and nuts, but I need to get that extra 20g to hit my 1g to 1lb of my 160 lb body. I've decided to turn to a protein shake as a snack once per day to help. After looking up the highly recommended GNC whey protein powder, I nearly **** my pants at the sight of the price.

So what's a good (vanilla flavor please) whey protein powder that contains a decent amount of protein per serving, not a lot of extra crap, and won't break this already broke college students wallet?

Thanks!

Replies

• AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    bump, cause i need to know this for the same reason !
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Walmart has Jillian Michaels Whey Protein for a reasonable price and is reasonable on calories also. I'm unemployed so I understand finances.
  • Jdo13
    Jdo13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just went to BJ's wholesale club and was able to get a giant bad of EAS Whey Protein (26g protein per 2 scoops) for less then 30, I know this kind is also at Target (prices vary)! Speaking from experience, I have tried many different types of protein and this one is by far my favorite. Not too chalky and easy to get down! Good luck!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I use the Jillian Michaels whey protein stuff.

The price really isn't any better though.

Yes it's only $10 compared to $20, but you are also getting half as much.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Do some research on the type of whey your buying. There is a reason some of it is more expensive than others. Also check the nutrient information.

Lots of ways to get more protein. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, slim fast drinks, fish, lean meats.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Whey Protein is $15 for a huge tub at Walmart. It tastes really good, especially mixed with milk. It's 140 calories per scoop and has 26g of protein (per scoop).

I don't use it every day but it's a nice post workout snack/drink.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Everything at GNC is expensive. Try going to some online sites, (Bodybuilding.com has decent prices, but I've heard there are other sites that are cheaper.) or Walmart has Body fortress for around $15 for about 2 lbs. The vanilla is good, and the nice thing about vanilla is: it is versatile. You can make any kind of shake with different flavors of fruit, extracts, puddings, or other things.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Whey Protein is $15 for a huge tub at Walmart. It tastes really good, especially mixed with milk. It's 140 calories per scoop and has 26g of protein (per scoop).

this stuff.. NOT the jillian michaels (that stuff has a really weird, yucky flavor). my fav power is the EAS whey (but body fortress is cheaper for more product)

PS: where do you go to school?
  • dave4d
    Options

this stuff.. NOT the jillian michaels (that stuff has a really weird, yucky flavor). my fav power is the EAS whey (but body fortress is cheaper for more product)

When I had a Sam's Club membership, I used to buy the EAS protein, there. It was only about $30 for 5 lbs. Which was cheaper than the Walmart Body Fortress. I'm not sure if they still sell it, though.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

^ ^ ^ This stuff taste great in all flavors, reasonably priced for the amount you get, and every college has a walmart nearby:laugh:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Do some research on the type of whey your buying. There is a reason some of it is more expensive than others. Also check the nutrient information.

Lots of ways to get more protein. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, slim fast drinks, fish, lean meats.

I personally find these real foods easier to digest as well as cheaper (except the slim fast I like all of that)
  • sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Haha yes I live within 30 minutes of 5 walmarts, no joke.

But the vanilla body fortress sounds like exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks guys, MFP never let's me down ^.^
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    muscle milk light is my jam but I also like rice protein powder for smoothies
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    EAS Lean 15.. 100 calories, 15 g protein, 5 g fiber per serving.. it is a mix of whey and casein protein, so you get a full feeling from the fast digesting whey, but you will feel full longer from the slow digesting casein.

I swear by it, and the fudge flavor is smooth and chocolaty, even with just water.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition gold standard from amazon. It's about ~$45 for a 5 pound tub of it which isn't too bad. It tastes great, the quality is excellent, it dissolves extremely well in all the liquids I've put it in and never tastes chalky or weird.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I just keep an eye out for good specials, but most the time go without.
    I think you are probably getting enough protein anyway, I think its 1g protein per lb of lean body mass, not your enitre weight. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
  • MayFartDuringSquats
    Options
    Save your money - especially if you aren't going to buy quality because you kind of get what you pay for with the powders. The cheap stuff is full of fillers (corn syrup etc) and the protein sources are questionable.
    You're also already eating enough protein through natural sources. The 1-1lb ratio is nonsense - where is that from ? usually there's a ratio for weight in kg too.
    So, 160/2.2 = 72kg
    Now for strength and/or athletes you're looking at about 1.4-1.8gm per kg so let's just say, you're at the upper end here with what you are doing. 72x1.8=130g of protein. This is also about 0.8 per pound. NOT 1:1 which is very generous. This is also for someone hitting it pretty hard too.

I'd check and recheck the sources for your protein needs.

If you really want to build some muscle, consider adding a few carbs post workout (not fruit or fructose). Have a like 20g of sweet potato afterwards and you'll fuel your muscles. You can add some protein here too ... but it's unnecessary really as you're getting plenty. I do understand the convenience of it all though.
  • dave4d
    Options
    Save your money - especially if you aren't going to buy quality because you kind of get what you pay for with the powders. The cheap stuff is full of fillers (corn syrup etc) and the protein sources are questionable.
    You're also already eating enough protein through natural sources. The 1-1lb ratio is nonsense - where is that from ? usually there's a ratio for weight in kg too.
    So, 160/2.2 = 72kg
    Now for strength and/or athletes you're looking at about 1.4-1.8gm per kg so let's just say, you're at the upper end here with what you are doing. 72x1.8=130g of protein. This is also about 0.8 per pound. NOT 1:1 which is very generous. This is also for someone hitting it pretty hard too.

I'd check and recheck the sources for your protein needs.

If you really want to build some muscle, consider adding a few carbs post workout (not fruit or fructose). Have a like 20g of sweet potato afterwards and you'll fuel your muscles. You can add some protein here too ... but it's unnecessary really as you're getting plenty. I do understand the convenience of it all though.

I believe most nutritionists recommend the 1.2 to 1.8 per kg of lean mass. Most bodybuilders recommend 1 g. per lb. of lean mass. Maybe it is because the math is easier. If my memory is correct: 1 kg= 2.2 lbs, so it is pretty close, and either way will work.

I have also heard that if you are going to have fruit for post workout to have a banana. Bananas go real well in protein shakes...especially if you freeze them. Other fruits are higher in fructose, and will feed the liver instead of the muscles.