How hard are these programs ? (30 day shred and ripped)??

Options
I see so many post about completing specific programs like 30 day shred, etc. what do they entail and how hard are they for a relative newbie to exercise for someone like myself? I have lost about 50 lbs so far with another 65 to 70 to go and swim and do aerobics, but have never attempted anything like these. Would love some descriptions of what they include and hard you really found it when you started!

Replies

• nsmoker24
    nsmoker24 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i personally love them. I did 30DS over the summer and I am on ripped in 30 now. They are basically 3 sets of 3,2,1. 3 mins strength, 2 mins cardio, and 1 min of abs. and there are 3 sets of those. I would start with 30DS and work your way up from there! All levels of 30DS can be found on youtube so they are free!
  • cwallace0522
    cwallace0522 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love 30 day shred! I I did it about three times a week for about a year and went from 145lbs to 106. I alternated between level 1 and 3 because I never cared for level 2. To me it is a good hard workout. My mom would do it and then run 5 miles or do an hour of tae bo. So I guess it depends on the person. All you need is a pair of handweights. Also I love that it only takes about 25 minutes. The videos are up for free on youtube.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I just started 30DS Monday.

I can't get up the stairs
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have started 30DS and find it difficult. I just cannot manage to do all of the jumping jacks or pushups. There is also a fair amount of getting down on the floor and then back up again. I do ok with it at the beginning of the DVD but by the end it is hard to get up quickly enough. THat said, I do see improvements in what I am able to do. I will need to take longer than 30 days to complete it since I don't think I should move to the next level until I can do the current level. My difficulties with it may be because of my weight (I weigh 293) or they may be because I have not been exercising long as I am just starting out on my weightloss journey.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    no matter how good of a physical condition you are in any new exercise routine should be challenging, all exercises can be modified to match your fitness level so you should be discouraged to try any of them
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! Received a variety of answers, but they all related exactly to what i asked and gave me a good idea of where to start. Truly appreciate the guidance.
  • MSam1205
    Options
    I have started 30DS and find it difficult. I just cannot manage to do all of the jumping jacks or pushups. There is also a fair amount of getting down on the floor and then back up again. I do ok with it at the beginning of the DVD but by the end it is hard to get up quickly enough. THat said, I do see improvements in what I am able to do. I will need to take longer than 30 days to complete it since I don't think I should move to the next level until I can do the current level. My difficulties with it may be because of my weight (I weigh 293) or they may be because I have not been exercising long as I am just starting out on my weightloss journey.

Kudos to you for starting out this way! I was 290 when i started this journey and would never have been brave enough to do what you are doing. Keep up the good work
  • MSam1205
    Options
    i personally love them. I did 30DS over the summer and I am on ripped in 30 now. They are basically 3 sets of 3,2,1. 3 mins strength, 2 mins cardio, and 1 min of abs. and there are 3 sets of those. I would start with 30DS and work your way up from there! All levels of 30DS can be found on youtube so they are free!

Thanks! Did not know about youtube option. Def like trying for free rather than spending a lot and then not using it!
  • niknak730
    Options

The first time I did the 30 DS, I couldnt walk the stairs comfortably for a week!
  • MSam1205
    Options

The first time I did the 30 DS, I couldnt walk the stairs comfortably for a week!

OMG! Had you done any exercising prior to 30DS? I swim a lot and aerobics. You're scaring me :noway:
  • woahitsangie
    woahitsangie Posts: 139 Member
    Options

LOL!! Im starting tomorrow.. im scared! I live on the 3rd apt floor...
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love the 30 Day Shred. Haven't completed it, but have still gotten great results. The first 5-7 days are rough ( not the workout, but moving afterwards) but keep at it and it does get better. Especially great if you are looking to get some muscle tone.

Oh yeah and you asked hat was in it, it is a circuitbtraining sort of thing. A little bit of everything and as others have mentioned, only about 25 mins so doesn't take a lot of time.
  • trickettmomma
    Options
    I'm really out of shape! I personally started with the Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition(bought it at Walmart for $10 not sure if it's on youtube) It has low impact exercises to get you moving. Now I'm doing Biggest Loser Cardio Max and doing the 30 Day Shred next. I have mixed 30DS in a little already. I go at my own pace. Move on when I feel ready and repeat the ones I like! I like Cardio Max it has 10 and 20 min videos and does show some modified moves. They even say repeated in the video to take your time, slow down if you need to.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It depends on your level of fitness. If you are brand new, you might check into the couch to 5k. There is no way I could have gone past the warm-up of thirty day shred if I hadn't done couch to 5k first. C25k builds up your endurance. The thirty day shred is a combination of strength training and cardio. I would rate it difficult for some who is new to exercise.

I highly recommend the C25k program for newbies. It got me started when I was unable to even walk for very long.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Never tried Ripped, but 30DS is wayyyyyy too easy for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

See? It depends on your fitness level. :laugh:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started my fitness journey with 30 Day Shred, and like someone else commented, after the first workout I could barely move for 3 days. :tongue: Now it's no problem - I could still make it a good workout by using heavier weights and pushing as hard as I can through the whole thing.

I did Ripped in 30 a year or so later - challenging again because it was new moves, but nothing like 30DS was for me since I was just starting out.

Either one is a great place to start, in my opinion. These workouts reintroduced me to using weights, even though I started with light weights, I was able to learn the moves, build my strength and endurance, and move on to bigger weights and more challenging workouts.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

then use heavier weights...for 20 minutes...its a great workout
  • warsenic
    Options
    The first day I did 30DS I got super ill and had to lay down or throw up.
    Now, I can do it just fine.
  • MSam1205
    Options
    Great feedback from everyone much appreciated!!:bigsmile: will look into couch to 5 k. Never heard that one before! And will start perusing youtube. Since my exercise room is going to be upstairs, will go slow or may never get back down :laugh: