Chrons?

Options
So Ive been a victim of chronic GI issues ever since I was a kid. I was hospitalized countless times, I've had to have NG tubes, countless scopes and tests, Ive had enough CT scans, Xrays and MRI's to glow in the dark. I finally had surgery to remove endometriosis, and at the time the doctor decided to take out my appendix while he was there. Turns out my bowel had wrapped itself around my appendix and become full of lesions. After having this removed I thought all my issues were gone. I was then diagnosed with IBS when symptoms didn't completely subside.
My reason for posting is I want to hear stories of those with chrons. I have a strong family history of it and I'm yet again getting sick very quickly. I am going to my doctor but other stories, ideas, thoughts would be great. I have a feeling that I am not just suffering from IBS, this is too severe, too debilitating and just doesn't make sense.

Replies

• juncture
    juncture Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean Crohn's?

Personally I have no experience of it but as it's an IBD part of the testing would involve checking for inflammation in the gut. Have you had a colonoscopy or any other tests for gut inflammation? (There's a blood test that just shows up inflammatory markers for inflammation anywhere in the body but there is also a test they run on stool samples (faecal calprotectin I think) that shows up inflammation specifically in the gut).

Edit: Just saw that you said you have had scopes, so ignore that bit.
  • My older brother has Crohn's. There is a genetic link so it's possible that you do have it.

His initial symptoms were severe stomach pain down one side (from memory, I think the right) and overall not feeling well. But only a doctor can confirm, it has pretty general symptoms.
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Ever try going gluten free in your diet? My younger brother also has Crohn's and eating gluten has been a godsend for him. I will say, however, it's not the easiest diet to follow in the beginning :/