Quick Add Calories - Cheating?

Options
2»

Replies

• schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I tend to add 200 quick add calories to make up for bites of my kids food or a few bites when I make food to taste it. sometimes its because its not listed and i know how many calories are in it.

I add 100-200 from bites of my daughter's food, or sometimes the calorie count of things I buy here in Canada is higher than the US
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have used this a few times at lunch. If I am buying a sandwich from a well known store, I will take the time to search for it on the database and log it properly. However, there have been times when I had to rush my lunch and grab something from the canteen and the pack does not always have all the nutritional information.
  • kaytbaggs
    kaytbaggs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use quick calories, not out of being lazy or padding my counts, but because I am a restaurant manager and we are obligated to test certain items every half hour for taste and freshness. I would love to have every exact ingredient for everything I eat, but unfortunately I think I might be near to impossible to record a taste of Alfredo sauce , one bite of Mexican rice, half a bite of mashed potatoes, one french fry, etc.
    I actually wish there was an allowance for fat, carbs, sugar, etc. that you could also put in with the quick calories. The only bad thing about mfp is that you can put in 1200 calories under quick or log everything thing you eat and have 100 grams of fat or 9 grams and when you complete your dairy it still gives you the same weight 5 weeks out. It's only going by the calories and nothing else.
    I try to use all of that as a guide to keep me on track for calorie amounts only, the fat, etc. I know about what I'm eating and keep that in mind with my other choices throughout the day.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    never used it. I think its important to have a clear micro nutrient breakdown.
    I used to use it all the time.....because I was not tracking (and did not care about) and of the macros. All I was focused on was my calories. I dropped a lot of weight back then. That was a few years back.

I had gastric bypass surgery 9 weeks ago. So now I am in reverse. I could care less about total calories. I can't get in more than 600 a day anyway....so it doesnt matter. What does matter is my protein, and every number other than the calories.

the defence rests.

Trying to understand why exactly you quoted me on this and what your response meant. Can you please clear that up for me. Curious to know if it is because you agreed with something I said...or because you were using me as some sort of example.

you have learnt that micronutrient balance is of vital importance over just counting calories alone.

Not at all. For ME as a post weight loss surgery patient it IS vitally important. I can no longer absorb a good percentage of what I eat....because my surgery bypassed nearly 2 feet of my intestines. So for me the micronutrients are important...and are the difference between me being healthy, or me being deathly ill in a hospital bed. The micronutrients focus for me has nothing to do with weight loss. With my surgery I will lose weight regardless. I think for the general population of people who still have normal digestive tracts counting calories alone can and does work just fine. I lost 70 pounds last time I was counting calories alone. That diet didnt fail. I failed when I stopped following it.

you might want to read this again:

you have learnt that micronutrient balance is of vital importance over just counting calories alone.

"So for me the micronutrients are important...and are the difference between me being healthy, or me being deathly ill in a hospital bed."

so once again you have learnt that micronutrient balance is of vital importance over just counting calories alone - or else you would be "deathly ill in a hospital bed"

I guess that would make it pretty important.

the reason people benefit from understanding micronutrient balance, is thats the core of a balanced diet. once you learn about what your body needs in this way it can give you a better understanding of food as you know what it means when you read the back of a packet. there is a lot of nutritionally empty food out there and a lot of stuff that is just flat out bad for you, and understanding the micronutrient side of things really showed me that, and made it easy to cut things like chocolate or potato chips or candy out of my diet completely. if I hadn't gained that understanding, I would have struggled to stay away from those foods forever and probably gone back to my old eating habits eventually out of laziness.

in the end of the day its pretty simple, if you asked any doctor, or any nutritionist, or health professional weather its important to track your micronutrients, they would all say a resounding yes. you can guarantee that. if you asked them if you could just track calories they would probably answer "if you are eating a balanced diet" which again means keeping an eye on your micronutrients. I think you would struggle to find a doctor that would say a balanced diet is not important and infact you are proof of that as for you now, a balanced and carefully managed diet is vitally important to your health and well being, like you said.

in terms of every day life, yep, sure you can add some quick calories for whatever reason, thats not going to hurt. but ignoring it all together you will miss out on some important information and also miss out on learning about a how to have a balanced diet.

because the truth is, you have to eat every day. if you do it wrong it literally will kill you.
  • jennifermwb
    jennifermwb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I used to use it all the time.....because I was not tracking (and did not care about) and of the macros. All I was focused on was my calories. I dropped a lot of weight back then. That was a few years back.

I had gastric bypass surgery 9 weeks ago. So now I am in reverse. I could care less about total calories. I can't get in more than 600 a day anyway....so it doesnt matter. What does matter is my protein, and every number other than the calories.

the defence rests.

Trying to understand why exactly you quoted me on this and what your response meant. Can you please clear that up for me. Curious to know if it is because you agreed with something I said...or because you were using me as some sort of example.

Not at all. For ME as a post weight loss surgery patient it IS vitally important. I can no longer absorb a good percentage of what I eat....because my surgery bypassed nearly 2 feet of my intestines. So for me the micronutrients are important...and are the difference between me being healthy, or me being deathly ill in a hospital bed. The micronutrients focus for me has nothing to do with weight loss. With my surgery I will lose weight regardless. I think for the general population of people who still have normal digestive tracts counting calories alone can and does work just fine. I lost 70 pounds last time I was counting calories alone. That diet didnt fail. I failed when I stopped following it.

"So for me the micronutrients are important...and are the difference between me being healthy, or me being deathly ill in a hospital bed."

so once again you have learnt that micronutrient balance is of vital importance over just counting calories alone - or else you would be "deathly ill in a hospital bed"

the reason people benefit from understanding micronutrient balance, is thats the core of a balanced diet. once you learn about what your body needs in this way it can give you a better understanding of food as you know what it means when you read the back of a packet. there is a lot of nutritionally empty food out there and a lot of stuff that is just flat out bad for you, and understanding the micronutrient side of things really showed me that, and made it easy to cut things like chocolate or potato chips or candy out of my diet completely. if I hadn't gained that understanding, I would have struggled to stay away from those foods forever and probably gone back to my old eating habits eventually out of laziness.

in the end of the day its pretty simple, if you asked any doctor, or any nutritionist, or health professional weather its important to track your micronutrients, they would all say a resounding yes. you can guarantee that. if you asked them if you could just track calories they would probably answer "if you are eating a balanced diet" which again means keeping an eye on your micronutrients. I think you would struggle to find a doctor that would say a balanced diet is not important and infact you are proof of that as for you now, a balanced and carefully managed diet is vitally important to your health and well being, like you said.

in terms of every day life, yep, sure you can add some quick calories for whatever reason, thats not going to hurt. but ignoring it all together you will miss out on some important information and also miss out on learning about a how to have a balanced diet.

because the truth is, you have to eat every day. if you do it wrong it literally will kill you.

No. You still are choosing NOT to read the important part of what I wrote. I HAD GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY. I do NOT have a normal digestive tract anymore. I can not absorb many of my nutrients. What is dangerous for ME, is not the same thing as what is dangerous for a normal person with a normal digestive tract. Sure.....its nice if you have all your ducks in a row and your micronutrients are in order. But for someone who is morbidly obese it is FAR more important to worry about getting the calories down to the point where they can lose weight, regardless of what the micronutrients say. What is important for ME and other weight loss surgery patients are not the same things that are important to the general population.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I use it sometimes when I have a recipe that I need to enter but haven't done it yet. I always figure the recipe calories and then just put those in until I can input the entire recipe. I wouldn't say I rely on it/ use it a ton but it is helpful sometimes.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Do you think using Quick Add calories as cheating or is it just convenient? I think it's a way to bypass adding fat and carbs. I don't know why people use these instead of taking 2 minutes to log correctly.

It's better than not logging at all.
  • nikilis
    Options

the defence rests.

No. You still are choosing NOT to read the important part of what I wrote. I HAD GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY. I do NOT have a normal digestive tract anymore. I can not absorb many of my nutrients. What is dangerous for ME, is not the same thing as what is dangerous for a normal person with a normal digestive tract. Sure.....its nice if you have all your ducks in a row and your micronutrients are in order. But for someone who is morbidly obese it is FAR more important to worry about getting the calories down to the point where they can lose weight, regardless of what the micronutrients say. What is important for ME and other weight loss surgery patients are not the same things that are important to the general population.

I know you had a gastric bypass. you said it like 5 times. ill simplify.

this isn't about you. don't know if you understand that yet.

you would find it very difficult to find a doctor, nutritionist or healthcare professional what would agree with only counting calories. that would apply to everyone.

i dont think you are qualified to tell people to go against doctors advice.

weather YOU had a bypass or not it doesn't change the fact that calorie counting alone is not supported by medical professionals.

"Counting calories only tells one side of a multi-sided story, explains Pritikin registered dietitian Tracy Wilczek. Sure, you could easily count out – and only eat – 1,500 calories a day, but you’re not taking into consideration where those calories came from. If you’re eating an Egg McMuffin and a couple of slices of pizza, you’re probably coming in under 1,500 calories, but you’re going WAY OVERBOARD on artery-clogging saturated fat and stroke-inducing sodium. As one of our dietitians Dr. Jay Kenney likes to say: "You’ll die young, but you’ll look nice and thin in your coffin."

source: http://www.pritikin.com/your-health/health-benefits/healthy-weight-loss/1318-why-not-just-count-calories.html

but yeh... sure, keep recommending something that "worked" for you over the factual statements of medical professionals.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Not everyone cares to monitor fat or carbs though.
  • nikilis
    Options
    Not everyone cares to monitor fat or carbs though.

its cool if you or anyone doesn't want to, whats not cool is saying that you dont need to, especially to people who are looking for truthful information because medicine says otherwise.

what people do is up to them. recommending to someone else / saying something that is wrong and could make someone unwell over time is another thing.
  • jennifermwb
    jennifermwb Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I know you had a gastric bypass. you said it like 5 times. ill simplify.

this isn't about you. don't know if you understand that yet.

you would find it very difficult to find a doctor, nutritionist or healthcare professional what would agree with only counting calories. that would apply to everyone.

i dont think you are qualified to tell people to go against doctors advice.

weather YOU had a bypass or not it doesn't change the fact that calorie counting alone is not supported by medical professionals.

"Counting calories only tells one side of a multi-sided story, explains Pritikin registered dietitian Tracy Wilczek. Sure, you could easily count out – and only eat – 1,500 calories a day, but you’re not taking into consideration where those calories came from. If you’re eating an Egg McMuffin and a couple of slices of pizza, you’re probably coming in under 1,500 calories, but you’re going WAY OVERBOARD on artery-clogging saturated fat and stroke-inducing sodium. As one of our dietitians Dr. Jay Kenney likes to say: "You’ll die young, but you’ll look nice and thin in your coffin."

source: http://www.pritikin.com/your-health/health-benefits/healthy-weight-loss/1318-why-not-just-count-calories.html

but yeh... sure, keep recommending something that "worked" for you over the factual statements of medical professionals.

Have you ever been obese? I have been to no less than 20 doctors in the last few years. Every single one of them including the surgeon who performed my surgery advised me to go on a low calorie diet, not one of them asked me to track anything other than calories. So I know exactly what the medical community advises for severely obese patients.
    I know it is not about me. YOU are the one who wanted to talked about what I learned. You twisted what I said to fit your own beliefs, and then continued to tell me what exactly it was that I had learned. I was simply informing you that you are wrong. That is not what I learned. You twisted my words about what micronutrients meant to MY health and took it completely out of the context I meant it in. So YES, I had to point out several times that I had weight loss surgery.....because you repeatedly tried to take that fact out of the equation to prove your own beliefs. We are all entitled to our own opinions. My opinions are based on working in the medical field most of my adult life, living as a morbidly obese woman most of my adult life, talking to dozens of doctors, and trying EVERY diet and lifestyle change in the book. I have counted everything there is to count. By far, the best success I had losing weight before my surgery was counting calories alone.

My point is that if you are looking for someone to prove your point I am not that person. We do not believe the same things. I didnt learn these things you seem to want to push. I learned that my body is different, and I have to treat it differently. That is all. My beliefs about diet and weight loss for the general population have not changed.

As for your stupid comment about what "worked" for me...keep your judgement to yourself. I failed. I am aware that I failed. It did work for me. Until I stopped doing it. Period. The fact is that a lot of diets work...as long as you actually follow them. I did, and then I didnt. But you go ahead and sit up there and pretend you are better than anyone else. I am on my own journey. I have counted calories, counted carbs, counted protien. I have done atkins, south beach, calorie counting, weight watchers. I have done jenny craig and nutrisystem. I have taken enough otc and prescription diet pills to kill a small army. I have seen 5 nutritionists, 3 surgeons, and countless others. So yes, I know what medical professionals have to say.

I dont recommend ANY diet. I recommend talking to your own doctor, doing your own research, and doing what is right for yourself. I just think that for someone who is 300 pounds and hopeless and overwhelmed that jumping all over them to keep track of so many things at once can be counter productive.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Do you think using Quick Add calories as cheating or is it just convenient? I think it's a way to bypass adding fat and carbs. I don't know why people use these instead of taking 2 minutes to log correctly.

Whoa.....take it easy! Not everyone cares or needs to track fat and carbs as religiously as calories. I think you're assuming a whole lot about people who use QuickAdd (Lazy? Sneaky? I'm neither).

I'm mindful of the carbs & fat but the calories are what's really important to me at this stage. Some foods/portions are not in the database and cannot be easily calculated, just estimated.

So you're one of those near-perfect people who knows the nutritional value of every crumb that passes your lips--great! The rest of us may not be but we're doing just fine! :smile:

P.S. It's folks with your mindset which prevent some of us from unlocking our food diaries. Again, not all of us care about perfect "micronutrient balance". We *may* care someday when we're further along on our journeys, but perhaps not now. I'm perfectly satisfied with what I eat and my weight loss and my fitness. I don't need the self-righteous judgmental attitude from a stranger.

I'm going to assume that you're probably not a self-righteous judging person, just someone who doesn't understand where someone else is coming from--and that can be fixed.

Very well said!
  • nikilis
    Options
    But you go ahead and sit up there and pretend you are better than anyone else. I am on my own journey. I have counted calories, counted carbs, counted protien. I have done atkins, south beach, calorie counting, weight watchers. I have done jenny craig and nutrisystem. I have taken enough otc and prescription diet pills to kill a small army. I have seen 5 nutritionists, 3 surgeons, and countless others. So yes, I know what medical professionals have to say.

wow, I feel lucky after reading that. For me it just took a calorie controlled diet, light exercise and occasionally checking on micronutrients so I make sure I get a balanced diet.

you seem to think this is about me criticizing your diet or making comments about how you in particular should conduct yourself. I assure you that this is not so. I am stating the answer to the following simple question, is a balanced diet important to overall health?

stop thinking im attacking your diet, which im not and answer the simple question, in general, for everyone. because thats what im talking about. the question above is a yes or no question that applies to human beings, and probably mammals in general.

so... yes or no?

looking forward to your answer.