Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
I've become intrigued by the amount of people having shakes in the morning time either for breakfast or a mid morning snack if they don't do breakfast. I don't have an awful lot of time in the morning to make breakfast as I work super early and to be honest i'm not overly into a whole lot of food in the morning time although I do always have something the only reason I do is so im not running on empty until lunch and I find I concentrate better.

My boyfriend told me to use his protein shakes but I'm not looking for some protein overload and I don't work out enough to justify them therefore I'd put on weight and we don't want that :/ i've seen in some chemists and shops these meal replacement shakes that are low in calories and fat but aren't for bulking up etc. I was wondering if anyone uses these and can give me some advice?
I've never really tried anything like this so I'm totally new to it! im really just looking for something to fill me up and give me the energy to get through the morning but not like protein shake..

maybe i'm making up that these exist haha but i'd appreciate some help or advice..does anyone use them and have a good brand? I'm from the UK so I don't have access to a lot if any american brands :/

Replies

• neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm generally against them. Yesterday I made a smoothie for breakfast and had the runs all morning. Just eat food. It's better, more nutritious, and it's natural.
  • spreag
    spreag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    yeahh see i've heard this! my boyfriend had to harden himself to his protein shakes (i know thats not what im looking for) the first day he had one he drank and just as he went to go to the gym had really really bad sickness and runs and for some reason he kept torturing himself to get used to them and it worked a little bit but every time he had one he ended up unable to go to the gym and inevitably put on a few pounds..although with all the tummy upset im unsure how :/

more to the point...why did he offer me them then.... -.-
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Slimfast and the like claim to provide all the minerals and vitamins (pro rata to the calories) so if you need an instant breakfast they may give the nutrition you might otherwise miss.
  • kimnur
    kimnur Posts: 1
    Options
    I work with a physician who has a weight loss clinic. He strongly believes that we should start each morning with protein. He recommends protein shakes. These will no make you bulk up with just on in the am. I have some powder by "bariatric Advantage" that is pretty good. You can get in on the internet. Sort of expensive, but alot of servings per container.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if they're available in the UK but Boost & Ensure are a couple of "meal replacement" products available here across the pond and both get used in hospitals, old age homes etc (they both have a number of different versions depending on your specific requirements).

I suspect it would be a lot less expensive though to just pack yourself a healthy mid-morning snack (some almonds and a piece of fruit for example) or a scoop of protein powder in juice (I use Kaizen for my post workout drink with fruit juice - about 260 cal & 35 g protein)
  • mlcharb
    mlcharb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I make myself a shake most mornings. I am short on time in the morning and don't like a bunch of food. Instead of using protein powder I will use greek yogurt. I mix it in the blender with frozen berries and a banana. There are so many other options as well. This way I am having a quick, easy 'meal' but not using the store bought 'gimmick' meal replacement shakes.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Even if you aren't weight lifting, high protein intake is not going to cause fat storage unless you're eating in a calorie surplus over time.

I'm not suggesting that you start taking whey, just mentioning that it's not going to cause fat storage. Excess calories will.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    For me its protein that keeps me sustained throughout the morning. I dont have much time in the morning and i generally have to have breakfast 6.30am and last with small snacks until 12. I have a shake (with water not milk) and 2 low calorie buscuits and it does keep me going and its a total of 220 cals.

You dont have to be bulking/building muscle to use protein shakes. Its generally good to make you feel full for longer and for relatively low calories.
  • spreag
    spreag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your advice! think I may just dig the smoothie maker out and mix up some fruit, yogurt and something like flaxseed!

thanks all (:
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs on protein shakes. :) They dont make you bulk up they help you maintain your muscle for serious weight loss. I dont know what I would do with out my shakes. :D
  • kirsto3
    kirsto3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hiya. ive been drinking Tesco Ultra Slim shakes since april and have lost 3 stone so far,
    Im like you i go to work early most mornings and dont want to eat so take 1 for breakfast and 1 for lunch
    it does take a lot of willpower not to want real food but i drink plenty of water and try to ignore what others have to eat,
    hope this helps kirst
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I occasionally have them if I am out and about during the day visiting clients and know I want get time for a proper lunch. They stop me buying something to eat in a hurry, that I will regret later.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Protein won't make you put on weight; excess calories will. Protein will keep you sated longer, say through til lunch, so you'll be less likely to eat a surplus of calories. Best thing to have for breakfast when losing fat is protein and healthy fats - keeps you full.

That being said, whey protein (I'm assuming it's whey) isn't very filling, so you might want to consider adding something else. Like half a frozen banana and/or cottage cheese with a few nuts and some berries. Get creative, making smoothies and thick shakes is fun, and they're damn tasty.
  • djcuts
    djcuts Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast (I follow a 16:8 fasting protocol which has worked wonders for me personally). I get all my calorific needs for the day in an 8 hour feeding window.

I have protein shakes after my weight training to get extra protein. I don't believe you should replace a meal with a shake, only to add more nutrients if you can't consume enough in a day to reach your calorie goal (I guess I'm saying supplement is ok if needed, replacement, no way).

:smile:
  • ErzaScarlet
    ErzaScarlet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try Tesco Ultra slim! it's cheap and full of nutrients however it is quite sugary but it's nice as a once off but I wouldn't recommend living off shakes if you're taking protein shakes be careful you'll have to drink alot of water good luck!
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    Also try Atkins shakes for protein, they contain enough calories and fat, without loads of sugar.