Body fat % needed for abs in women?

Options

Replies

• Tabsta
    Tabsta Posts: 28
    Options
    I will add that to the list of things I should have but don't feel like spending money on.

I think I spent like $38.00 on it. Or they have them at the gym usually if you have a membership. :P

Hmmm.. BF analysers, thats a thread on its own! Haha .. which have you got? The Omron?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    2. Bioelectrical impedance analysis (Handheld/Scale Deviced)
    Mostly I want to look like Zuzanna without the fake boobs.
    There is prob no clear cut answer, it will depend on musculature of your abs and your genetics

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

Checking the link now. I might add I had an 8 pack from ages 8-14, and had about 10% body fat (I was a competitive gymnast). Because of that I started period later (not enough body fat) and it was a really ****ty experience I'd rather not deal with again.

I wonder if that's necissary for me to look like I want again. =\

I think you look nice. I dont think you need to lose to much more body fat.

Thank you. It's just really frusterating to be told "well you don't look fat... But you definetly don't look fit" since then I've been on a vendetta to show that person where they can shove it. From 20% to 17% I haven't seen any changes in my stomache. :(

It feels like making little to no progress.

Your goals are your goals, but FWIW, from the photo you look fit to me. As a woman I personally have never hungered to have a six-pack -- I don't like the Janet Jackson look -- but I guess it's a huge sign of accomplishment for serious exercisers.

I would like to look like her too, but I would need the fake boobs to feel like a woman. Didnt you see the thread earlier that men dont like skinny women. :huh: That is code for they dont like flat women.

Good thing I have a "butt guy" because I'm flat as a board. :P
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Yes, but I've had a caliper test done as well. The Omron surprisingly is within .5% of that test. (I've read they can be innacurate depending on day, water retention, etc)
    I will add that to the list of things I should have but don't feel like spending money on.

I think I spent like $38.00 on it. Or they have them at the gym usually if you have a membership. :P

Hmmm.. BF analysers, thats a thread on its own! Haha .. which have you got? The Omron?
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    And i might add you should work your lower (especially) and middle back too to see the full benefits of your '6 pack' as it gets called. Work the whole core, not just the rectus abdominus

Dont neglect the back of your core and the sides. Good advice.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I just bought a cheap one online. At least if I have one I can try to track if I am losing fat.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    And i might add you should work your lower (especially) and middle back too to see the full benefits of your '6 pack' as it gets called. Work the whole core, not just the rectus abdominus

Anything in particular you guys suggest? I do lemon squeezers, two person throw downs, whole body hollows, planks, and leg lifts.
  • Tabsta
    Options

Anything in particular you guys suggest? I do lemon squeezers, two person throw downs, whole body hollows, planks, and leg lifts.

There are lots of exercises to work the lower back/core/obliques that dont need a gym... things that you can do at home. Youre already doing some by the sounds of it? Try reverse crunches, cycles, leg lifts (with small weights on feet/ankles), advanced side planks, plank (with weight on lower back), plank with alternate knee lift and twist, The 'genie sit' (that hurts :smile: ), medicine ball or weighted oblique twists (sat on floor legs raised), woodchops, oblique twists with cables...etc etc
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If this is you in your pic, I think you look great right now. I would die for those abs.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Looking these up now! Thank you very much!!!

There are lots of exercises to work the lower back/core/obliques that dont need a gym... things that you can do at home. Youre already doing some by the sounds of it? Try reverse crunches, cycles, leg lifts (with small weights on feet/ankles), advanced side planks, plank (with weight on lower back), plank with alternate knee lift and twist, The 'genie sit' (that hurts :smile: ), medicine ball or weighted oblique twists (sat on floor legs raised), woodchops, oblique twists with cables...etc etc
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    If this is you in your pic, I think you look great right now. I would die for those abs.

Thank you! <3 don't die though, you can reach your goals!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a good, heavy, compound move centered, heavy weight lifting routine. I'm doing Strong Lifts 5x5 and I don't ever train my abs specifically.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    I'd suggest a good, heavy, compound move centered, heavy weight lifting routine. I'm doing Strong Lifts 5x5 and I don't ever train my abs specifically.

I'm on New Rules of Lifting. I do deadlifts, barbell squats, lat pull downs, rows, lunges with dumb bells, chest press, and then the ab exercises i mentioned earlier. I also add additional crap I feel like doing such as dumbbell/barbell curls, farmers walks, shoulder shrugs, and calf raises.

I also do practically NO cardio at all.
  • Tabsta
    Options

I agree, you shouldnt be worrying too much :smile: are you after toned (already there), or ripped? :happy:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I'm on New Rules of Lifting. I do deadlifts, barbell squats, lat pull downs, rows, lunges with dumb bells, chest press, and then the ab exercises i mentioned earlier. I also add additional crap I feel like doing such as dumbbell/barbell curls, farmers walks, shoulder shrugs, and calf raises.

I also do practically NO cardio at all.

Then you are doing great. Nice.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Hmm I have a picture for comparison but it's NSFW lol. I'd say ripped but not she hulk. ;)

I agree, you shouldnt be worrying too much :smile: are you after toned (already there), or ripped? :happy:
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am at 16%. I would like to get to 14%. There was good info posted. I will have to check that out too!! Good luck!!
  • gigishiree
    gigishiree Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i think it really depends on your body.....i had a 6 pack with 28% body fat BUT ive never gained weight there. even after 3 kids my belly is flat bc i store fat in other places
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    How are you measuring your body fat?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you carry your weight. Some people's ribs are visible but they have fat other places.
  • kchicka
    kchicka Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well I'm female 24% body fat and I can see my abs after having 4 children. So it must depend I was aiming for 19% body fat cos thats what I read in the net. But yeah we are all different I guess. So maybe genetics I build muscle easy as well. 100% eat clean no grains, pastas or breads. All fresh vege, protein, fruit, shakes.