Weight lifting and pushing too hard?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend splitting your workouts (leg day, back day, chest day, etc.) to give your larger muscle groups time to recover. Yanicka's suggestions were also good. If this happens every time, I'd suggest upping your calories a bit. If not, suck it up buttercup :wink: I puked after my first real weight-training session with compound lifts. It got better in time.

I disagree here. Most beginner programs are full body 3 days/week working all major muscle groups with compound movements. If you are advanced or maybe intermediate, split days may be the way to go, but that is even subject to debate
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    And wtf at the yoga comment.

Never tried - nothing gained eh? :flowerforyou:

Don't knock it til you try it...

She was asking if her feeling sh1tty later in the day was a result of pushing too hard lifting. No one knocked yoga. Yoga wasn't part of the question.
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would think "splitting" would be dependent on what routine you are following. I just started Starting Strength and there are only 3 lifts per day, all compound lifts so you cant split them really. I like the compound lift/whole body idea because the workout is short but hits everything.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend splitting your workouts (leg day, back day, chest day, etc.) to give your larger muscle groups time to recover. Yanicka's suggestions were also good. If this happens every time, I'd suggest upping your calories a bit. If not, suck it up buttercup :wink: I puked after my first real weight-training session with compound lifts. It got better in time.

I disagree here. Most beginner programs are full body 3 days/week working all major muscle groups with compound movements. If you are advanced or maybe intermediate, split days may be the way to go, but that is even subject to debate

I did stronglifts for a while (a program designed as you said as full body 3 days/week), and I made some big gains on it, but I also had a lot of difficulty with recovery and stalled out on the program as written. I ended up modifying to the program to not do squats 3x per week (giving my quads a break) and switched to doing some cable work instead, and made bigger gains especially on my DL. Programs like that can be good for beginners or not. It really depends on your goals and how you respond to the program. I probably would've been able to stick to the program as written if not for the calorie deficit I was on as well. I still have a lot of body fat to drop before I think about bulking.

I am a beginner-intermediate level lifter.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    And wtf at the yoga comment.

Never tried - nothing gained eh? :flowerforyou:

Don't knock it til you try it...

She was asking if her feeling sh1tty later in the day was a result of pushing too hard lifting. No one knocked yoga. Yoga wasn't part of the question.

Yoga wasn't part of the question I agree, but considering the OP was reporting feeling sick, possibly after lifting heavy, I thought I might offer an alternative suggestion as a possible answer.

Sorry if my enthusiasm for my chosen health path has caused so much anger; my apologies to anyone offended and my sincere best wishes to firstsip (OP).
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'd look at your diet and everything outside of the gym first.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'd look at your diet and everything outside of the gym first.

You can take a look at my diary, it's public. Monday/Tuesday were unusual days in that I ate out both days from being with family, so I don't know if that could have just worn down my body (although generally the higher carbs make me power through everything the next day).

Otherwise, what Prega-Rex said: I may be starting to get to a point where I'm lifting too heavy at a calorie deficit? I'm still trying to lose a good 15 pounds, and I've been eating at my BMR for about 4-5 weeks (up from 1200 that I was on for months). I may need to up more (which will be difficult), but now I'm wondering if that ultimately is what's contributing.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Otherwise, what Prega-Rex said: I may be starting to get to a point where I'm lifting too heavy at a calorie deficit? I'm still trying to lose a good 15 pounds, and I've been eating at my BMR for about 4-5 weeks (up from 1200 that I was on for months). I may need to up more (which will be difficult), but now I'm wondering if that ultimately is what's contributing.

This was something I encountered and subsequently upped my calorie intake along the way.

I was doing 1200-1350 at first. Upped it to 1700-1900 and did better (BMR was 1650ish), but I still think I really needed to be at maintenance or a surplus for a program like Stronglifts to work as intended. Don't be afraid to modify your program to suit your goals and needs. Just experiment, read up on what others have done, and be patient.

What is your BMR and TDEE?
  • jiminellie
    jiminellie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MY HUBBY goes to the gym and alternates his workouts. ONE DAY HEAVY WEIGHT LESS REPS. NEXT DAY LIGHTER WEIGHTS MORE REPS. THEN NEXT DAY CARDIO EITHER CYCLING OR TREADMILL. BEFORE AND AFTER weights though he takes bcaa branched chain amino acid.. sold at gnc. It helps with recovery .. Another thought might be make sure you are eating a little something before your workout. I do SHAKES CHOCOLATE BEFORE MY WORKOUT IN THE A.M AND THEN BREAKFAST WHEN I GET BACK. try biking too it is fun and good for your cardio and strength. good luck
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I was doing 1200-1350 at first. Upped it to 1700-1900 and did better (BMR was 1650ish), but I still think I really needed to be at maintenance or a surplus for a program like Stronglifts to work as intended. Don't be afraid to modify your program to suit your goals and needs. Just experiment, read up on what others have done, and be patient.

Stronglifts is really a program targeted toward teenage boys that need to get bigger and stronger. I think 3x5 would be superior for someone in a calorie deficit and even that might be pushing it if you're not a beginner.
  • bigknight78
    Options
    I think it could just be diet related. If you are on a significant calorie deficit and have a hard session, it can leave you feeling like death, and can even hit you later on if your blood sugars dip. I know it has happened to me a few times, esp after playing a football match that started after a long delay, then went into over time. Only so much gatorade helped.

Make sure you get adequate carbs & protein after you lift hard (ratio of carbs:protein 2:1), and you should be ok :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

This was something I encountered and subsequently upped my calorie intake along the way.

What is your BMR and TDEE?

In NROLFW, the author recommends a 300 calorie cut from TDEE if you are obese and lifting.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    In NROLFW, the author recommends a 300 calorie cut from TDEE if you are obese and lifting.

In my case, I was not obese, but I was mid-range overweight. It appears the OP is not obese either, but closer to a healthy BMI.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    At a brief glance, you appear to be under eating, low carbing, recovering from illness, and trying to push yourself hard in the gym.

My advise would be that you should seek help from a professional RD or your doctor.
  • NoSkinnyFat
    Options
    Agree with Ironsmasher. Not sure your weight/height,etc... but I'm petite and currently at 24% BF and I am eating 1500 calories. I believe you are not eating enough calories for your activity level. Figured out your TDEE and your activity level needs to be spot on. minus 15% and try eating those calories for 4 weeks. I'm on a 0.5 lb per week reduction (because I am 5ft3 and 119 lbs), you could choose more weight to lose, but it's already giving you a daily 15% calorie deficit regardless of whether you lift that day. Personally, I have my protein shakes after working out. Within 20 minutes. I've never felt sick after lifting. Sore, sure. :)

IMO you should never eat at your BMR, because that's the minimum your body needs to just stay in bed all day... then add ANY activity and you are in a deficit. Add strength training and forget it. Starvation mode and overexhaustion.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    At a brief glance, you appear to be under eating, low carbing, recovering from illness, and trying to push yourself hard in the gym.

My advise would be that you should seek help from a professional RD or your doctor.

Err...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    It only happened once? Then I would not worry about it. So many things can explain it.

If it happen all the time you lift, I would try upping your calories a bit, or more carbs.

You'll be fine.

This. Id blame diet before the lifting.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    traing hard = feeling like crap afterwards.

it happens. youll be fine.

This. And as your body adapts to it, most of the worst symptoms will decrease or go away completely. Keep doing what you're doing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I think your body is trying to tell you it would like to try some Yoga instead - :flowerforyou:

Hijack Fail
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell if what you are feeling is training or diet related. I schedule deload weeks into my programming to make sure I recover well.