Getting Ill When Starting Work Out Regime

Options
Has anyone else experienced this? I have heard that fat can store things, especially toxins, so it is quite common for people to get ill frequently when you are at the beginning of gettting fit, since you are starting to burn fat and all the nasties are getting released.

Well this is happening to me atm, and I have to say, it is quite frustraing! It's like I just start to get a good momentum and then, bam! I am sick again! It is usually just like a sore throat/common cold, etc type symptoms.

Has this happened for anyone else?

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Only fat is stored in fat... you have organs that keep your body clean. If they are not functioning properly, you will know VERY quickly.

Sounds like you are pushing your body too hard. Mentally you can take it, physically you cannot. That is alright. When you feel yourself starting to get sick, take a 5 or 10 minute break. Grab some water, walk around, and relax a tad.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Toxins in fat isn't the cause. You may just be pushing too hard too fast and it is affecting your immune system. What kind of routine have you started?
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    A few weeks into this, I got Walking Pneumonia! It probably didn't have much to do with my working out, but who knows! It put a real bummer on my workouts for WEEKS! Yikes!
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It might be that you are detoxing since you are probably eating healthier. Not so much that your fat is releasing toxins, but that your body is adjusting to your new diet and routine. Doesn't hurt to take some extra vitamins if you think you need them.

It also is that time of year where it's getting cooler, people aren't outside as much and you are cooped up inside more. therefore you are being exposed to more germs etc. Take it easy if you aren't feeling 100%. Do a lighter workout, go for a long walk in the fresh air vs. heavy gym work.

Eat healthy and over time you will feel better and it will get easier.
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I do bikram yoga - it does stimulate detoxification, so I expect to a feel a little icky as my system gets cleaned out, but this is just upsetting. I have done bikram in the past quite regularly and not had any issues like this, so I am wondering if it is the exercise or "just that time of year". I was ill last month for about 4-5 days, then got better. Then everyone at my job started getting ill as well, and now since last night I am having symptoms again.

I am wondering if it is a combination of the work out plus being aroiund loads of unwell people?
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    what they all said.....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It might be that you are detoxing since you are probably eating healthier. Not so much that your fat is releasing toxins, but that your body is adjusting to your new diet and routine. Doesn't hurt to take some extra vitamins if you think you need them.

Unless you have impaired liver function, you don't suddenly start detoxing because you start eating healthy. You detox every day, all day. That is the function of your liver. The whole concept of needing to "detox" is myth.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Working out per se will not make you ill. You may be trying to hard for the level you're at. Take a rest drink some water. If you're already ill, don't work out for a few days. Keep aware of your body and don't push yourself too hard.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't had that issue.

The people I see getting ill regularly on MFP are typically the ones who undereat and exercise like crazy. For example, sticking to 1200 calories religiously and then burning off 400+ in exercise daily when they have a relatively small amount of weight to lose (say fewer than 50 lbs.). Eventually, those people get sick because they are undereating.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    There is an episode of House about this but I think it was a parasite. You can Google House to find the episode
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Viruses are not "stored" in fat. Some toxins are sequestered in fat in a process called bioaccumulation. In humans it should not be a major concern as you lose fat because the process of bioaccumulation does not suddenly release this to the organs, it gets eliminated. In other tissues, bioaccumulation also exists - in the 80's when we made silicone implants by injection I saw inter-lumbar drift and nodules of pure silicone - not so nice.

It is incorrect to say only fat is stored in fat. Fat is a an organ with lots of function including storage and production of certain hormones.

Bioaccumulation is a reason one should NOT eat their dogs in a polar expedition (there is a great book on this...) the fat and liver of carnivores stores vitamin A at levels that are toxic to humans. Don't eat wolf liver or bear liver either.

Warning: Referenced Peer-reviewed article:

In general, the toxins sequestered in tissue are not an issue during weight loss except for some research on organochlorines which might have higher concentrations in the blood plasma and in the remaining fat. This might also be an issue as it has been suggested that this has an impact on metabolism... It could be a reason for stalls. And no, "detoxing" will not remove this. This just takes time.

Here is the article: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/11961215?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn

edit: typo
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    There is an episode of House about this but I think it was a parasite. You can Google House to find the episode
    Or poison that was stored in the fat and when they lost weight it was released into the blood stream.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced this? I have heard that fat can store things, especially toxins, so it is quite common for people to get ill frequently when you are at the beginning of gettting fit, since you are starting to burn fat and all the nasties are getting released.

Well this is happening to me atm, and I have to say, it is quite frustraing! It's like I just start to get a good momentum and then, bam! I am sick again! It is usually just like a sore throat/common cold, etc type symptoms.

Has this happened for anyone else?

so you're just getting a sore throat? a Cough? maybe you just need a drink of water. I use chewing gum when I exercise, helps keep my throat lubricated.
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone - I can say I drink loads of water, especially during my bikram sessions as you sweat like crazy. i don't "work out like crazy" or eat too few calroies - esp with the bikram as it has really speeded up my metabolism and I am eating healthy snakcs throughout the day. Aside from sore throat though, I just feel generally icky all over with no energy. Perhaps it is just that time of year and unfortunately I am catching bugs frequently!