Question for Vegans......

Options
2»

Replies

• Jujubeez330
    Options
    I am not a Vegan but my father in law is eating a vegan diet while in end stage cancer, it slows the growth of tumors, supposedly. Anywho, he had some radiation to prevent growth of one particular brain tumor giving him migraines and destroying his vision in the left eye (otherwise he's against traditional chemo and radiation, for himself that is.)

The radiation left him with a pretty severe weight loss and I did some online research. I saw there are two very good vegan based (really, not just in title) sprouted grain protein shakes available if your concerned about protein and B. One is Hemp seed (sprouted) based and the other used 12 other sprouted grains to achieve the same.

Both are gluten, dairy, soy and animal free and can be mixed into a fruit or veggie smoothie. If you're interested I'll dig up the links and send them to you.
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options

I know that by going vegan I will need to focus on B-12. My question is to anyone who is currently 100% vegan, do you take other supplements and which ones? I'm going to the doc tonight, so I'd like to be prepared as much as possible, to ask questions and know what I'm talking about.

nutritional yeast works for me and my B12. I just put it in my pasta or beans or salad...
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    Hey, just thought I'd chuck in my 2c. I commend you for thinking bout this and trying to make this change, it can be really good at times. Definatly keep up the nutrient rich green leafy vegetables. They are definatly your friend. Also mushrooms are a good one as they have zinc. Zinc isn't really one you have to watch, but its improtant to make sure you have some high zinc foods that you eat fairly regularily, cause it also helps with the absorption of other nutrients.

Also your already vego so I'm sure you understand the protein sources, legumes etc. etc. Just a reminder to not depend too heavily on soy based products. for a while there I was having a very high soy diet, as being both time and money poor TVP became a very common food for me. Refined soy, like refined everything else is pretty bad for you, so just keep an eye on that one, temeh and fermented or whole soy products are pretty sweet, things a bit more processes like tofu and soy milk need to be watch, and then your fake meats, TVP etc need to be a sometimes food at most. So while they are some of the best places to get calcium etc. Also maybe check out other diary alternatives too once in a while, most of them are fortified with calcium these days and it will stop soy taking over your diet.

Good luck thought, I hope you enjoy the difference :)
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I got the results of my food allergy testing. The foods that must be cut out of my diet are:

Eggs
    Corn
    Milk
    Walnuts
    Yogurt
    Barley
    Cheese
    Peanuts
    Wheat
    Greenbeans
    Gluten
    Rye
    Yeast (Brewer and baker)
    Malt
    Tomato

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    :ohwell:

Wow. This is going to require very careful planning!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I got the results of my food allergy testing. The foods that must be cut out of my diet are:

Eggs
    Corn
    Milk
    Walnuts
    Yogurt
    Barley
    Cheese
    Peanuts
    Wheat
    Greenbeans
    Gluten
    Rye
    Yeast (Brewer and baker)
    Malt
    Tomato

:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    :ohwell:

Wow. This is going to require very careful planning!

All I can say is thank God that soy didn't make that list.