Calories burned with weight training?

Options
Does anyone beside me wonder why calories burned with weight/strength training don't get logged/count? seems like only cardio counts.
Surely calories do get burned when you're doing weights!!
Any suggestions?
I'm on a 1,200 cals/day regimen, and get hungry after my workout, which, invariably blows my daily results out of the water (by the time I then have lunch and dinner).
Thx

Replies

• MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    its in cardio as strength training I believe. :)
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only way you get "credit" for the calories burned during weight training is if you log as cardio under the description " Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)".

So every time I do weights I have to log it twice, once as strength training under Cardio and then the actual specific exercises under Strength Training. Pain in the butt, but that's how it is.

Also, I find that the calories they say I burned for weight training are very low, but I guess it somewhat offsets the high estimates for my cardio so I don't worry about it.
  • mickley1
    mickley1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do circuits that are really intense and it is under cardiovascular as is strength training. Try to create circuits and you will be amazed how many calories you earn back!
  • Embooya
    Embooya Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not depending on the intensity of the workout weight training burns more calories than cardio. I generally hit the weights 45 mins to an hour heavy 6 exercises 8-10 reps per set and the research I have gathered over the years tells me this equates to approx. 600-750 calories burned per session.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether it is or isn't because the amount of calories burned would vary so much depending on things like sets, rets, weight used, form, and other factors that any number it came up with would more than likely not even be in the ballpark.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I had to log my circuit training under cardio because a lot of the machines I use aren't in the strength training database. I also cut the number MFP uses because I KNOW I am not burning that many calories. I think I get close enough. What would be really cool is if all the machines were entered and you could set up a personal circuit and be able to enter THAT instead of individual machines, but I am sure that would be time consuming to set up.
  • wanda9501
    wanda9501 Posts: 114
    Options
    I do circuits that are really intense and it is under cardiovascular as is strength training. Try to create circuits and you will be amazed how many calories you earn back!

So true, I made up a circuit workout that I use to do, I guess it's time to bring it back. The best thing about circuit training is that you can make up your own and get a great workout.
  • jehanegray
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that has responded!
    And.....yes, it varies widely: for the same amount of time, when I recorded my weight training under "strength training", I got 95 cals credit; for the same amount of time under circuit training it was 220!!!!
    Not sure which one is right
  • jehanegray
    Options
    How do you 'make a circuit"?
  • soulfulsally
    Options

Yeah, MFP lists it as being almost twice the calorie burn of regular strength training, so I've switching to circuit training to get a better burn. I'm dripping in sweat and nauseous by the end of the workout, so I believe it!
  • jehanegray
    Options
    Okay, for whatever it's worth and for others who wonder how to log their weight training since the cals are so different, here is a description of the difference between "circuit training" and "strength training":

Sets and Reps
    Circuit training involves four to 12 exercise stations within each 20- to 50-minute session, as stated by the American Council on Exercise. According to ACE, weight-training circuits use large muscle groups first and require 10 to 20 repetitions per station. On the other hand, strength-training programs require up to five sets of one to eight repetitions, as defined by the NSCA. Due to increased repetition performance, circuit training enhances muscular endurance.

Load Lifted
    An inverse relationship exists between lifting load and repetitions performed. Circuit-training promotes high-repetition performance using weight-lifting loads of 50 to 70 percent maximal ability, according to ACE. Alternatively, strength training targets heavy lifting with loads of 80 to 100 percent maximal ability. Strength-training loads recruit greater percentages of muscle mass -- resulting in superior strength adaptations.

Rest Intervals
    Rest between sets dictates subsequent set performance. Circuit training targets muscular endurance by employing short rest periods, of 20 to 30 seconds, between stations, or sets. Strength-training success requires maximal-effort lifting during each set. Therefore, strength-training programs use rest periods of two to five minutes between sets, as prescribed by the NSCA. Longer rest periods enable full muscular recovery while shorter periods do not.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/335817-circuit-training-vs-strength-training/#ixzz29fADfXzo

What I do is definitely circuit, so I'll log it as such and not feel guilty for taking more credit than I deserve!!!!
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    About the rest intervals....With circuit training, we're supposed to take a short rest between sets? I always thought you were supposed to quickly move on to the next exercise without resting.
  • jehanegray
    Options
    well....I wouldn't sprint to the next station, but I suppose walking there for a couple of secs gives your heart a little time to calm down!!
    My interpretation anyway LOL
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The machines I use have a timer built in...shows the number of reps and when you stop, a clock starts to count. My trainer told me when it gets to a minute, start the next rep. When I do that, everything resets and it starts to count your reps again. I dont always wait the full minute between reps but I usually do.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    About the rest intervals....With circuit training, we're supposed to take a short rest between sets? I always thought you were supposed to quickly move on to the next exercise without resting.
    It depends on the exercises you are doing. The sets where there is no rest between are the best workouts to burn fat. Some of the other workouts I do, like the total body or specific area workouts are recommended to take a short rest between exercises or groups of exercises.
    I get my workouts form the Men's Health and Fitness Book of 15 minute workouts.
    When in doubt, though, I don't rest between sets.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I do circuit training as well, I just wish I knew if it was accurate and if so, how does it estimate afterburn calories....
    This is the reason I am using TDEE instead of MFP to calculate my calories and adjusting as I go, which is a slooooow process.