Slow loss for mod ovrwt (40 lb) short people? (5'2")

Options
2»

Replies

• LorMuldoon81
    LorMuldoon81 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 4ft 11 and have 24 pounds to lose until I get to my goal. Now, I have tall friends who, if they put on 24 pounds wouldnt look anywhere near as much as it has with me.

I did MFP before and lost 8lbs....that was a rate at roughly 1lb a week.....it was frustrating at times and I remember someone saying to me 'Why are you doing my fitness pal when you could go to Slimming world and lose 3/4lbs a week'....but the fact is, I probably wouldnt because of my size.

Its frustrating at times and it seems like it will take forever to get to our goals....but the main thing is we are losing weight at a healthy rate, so it's not going to pile back on as soon as it can.
  • tamba01
    tamba01 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Yeah, I actually have to be conscious to *hit* my calorie goal for the day sometimes, because the things I eat end up not being very calorie dense, even though I feel satisfied. I guess I technically could not hit the goal (and be around 1200 as opposed to 1500) but I feel like I need to stick with the goal in order to succeed.

You might want to make sure and eat nuts, and the good fats and that will help you hit your calorie goal and they are really good for you in moderation.
  • imcatbear
    Options
    : Remember, we're not short; we're Fun Size! :)

Teehee! Fun Size! I love it. Kinda like Jessica Rabbit, I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

I'll join you in the holy sisterhood of thinking too much ;)

Anyway, back to topic. I'm the same height as you are. I don't think it is unrealistic to believe you will lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks strictly from calorie reduction as long as you do not lose muscle mass in the process. Muscle uses more energy to maintain than fat. It is also denser than fat so you appear smaller when your muscles are strong.

In terms of tall vs short: What I think you're talking about is muscle and the bulk associated with it. Consider two people of the same weight, but different height. I know I'm making a lot of assumptions, but go along with what I'm saying, you'll see where I'm going with this. Theoretically, muscles are the same size on everyone when we are born (more or less). Take a tall person and a short person at the same weight. Both have to carry around the same amnt of weight so theoretically their muscles have the same amount of strength to them. Tall people's muscle has to stretch further across their bones so they will look leaner/thinner than a shorter person. So they will appear leaner.
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I think in general the weight comes off more slowly the closer you are to goal no matter your height. I guess it's possible that a taller person might burn more calories because they'll weigh a bit more than us shorties. I'm averaging a lb a week weight loss and am totally thrilled with it. I was anticipating .5 lbs a week and am thinking that it will be coming to that soon.
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! What everyone is saying makes a lot of sense.

Also, in NO WAY am I unhappy with my 1lb a week loss!! It just seems like a lot to expect for me to be down 10 lbs in 2 months. Like everyone said, 10 lbs on a short person is a lot!

I'll keep watching the thread to hear more stories or opinions. Thanks!
  • feefie04
    feefie04 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    : Remember, we're not short; we're Fun Size! :)

Teehee! Fun Size! I love it. Kinda like Jessica Rabbit, I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

I'll join you in the holy sisterhood of thinking too much ;)

Anyway, back to topic. I'm the same height as you are. I don't think it is unrealistic to believe you will lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks strictly from calorie reduction as long as you do not lose muscle mass in the process. Muscle uses more energy to maintain than fat. It is also denser than fat so you appear smaller when your muscles are strong.

In terms of tall vs short: What I think you're talking about is muscle and the bulk associated with it. Consider two people of the same weight, but different height. I know I'm making a lot of assumptions, but go along with what I'm saying, you'll see where I'm going with this. Theoretically, muscles are the same size on everyone when we are born (more or less). Take a tall person and a short person at the same weight. Both have to carry around the same amnt of weight so theoretically their muscles have the same amount of strength to them. Tall people's muscle has to stretch further across their bones so they will look leaner/thinner than a shorter person. So they will appear leaner.

Hey, I totally forgot about that muscle vs fat calorie burning fact (which I totally already knew, but apparently proceeded to lose lol). I try to keep my protein up, but having more muscle for burning makes a good case for trying harder to work out.