Are You Bloated? No I'm Just Fat

Options
Are You Bloated? No I’m Just Fat
Richard Ward

Abstract
Being overweight is very common in most people’s lives. Living in a society where fatty foods are in everyone’s possession, it makes dieting that much harder. This story is about the decisions I made and the results that comes out of each decision, good or bad, while living an unhealthy lifestyle.

Are You Bloated? No I’m Just Fat
Did you know that being overweight is the worst feeling ever? Some people may say that they’re comfortable in their skin, but that clearly can’t be the case…right?! Okay, okay I can’t speak for everyone, but I can definitely speak for myself, and let me tell you…being overweight is the worst feeling ever! The reason I say this is because I was once overweight. Was it fun? Eating the food definitely was, but the person I was transforming into was not. Being 5’5” and weighing 230 (no it’s not a typo) is life threatening. You’re borderline everything. It’s like sitting on the couch with unwelcome family who’s asking to crash at your house for a couple of days. For the last time Uncle Diabetes and Aunt Heart failure, NO! This is not me sitting on a pedestal; this is me simply venting about the struggles I went through and the ongoing journey of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Moderation/Shmoderation
Did you know that if your BMI is greater than or equal to 25 is overweight and greater than or equal to 30 is obesity? Well based on my height and weight I was obese. Shocked?! Of course not! Look I’m not going to lie and tell you that every time I stuffed my face I was miserable, oh quite the contraire it was all I could think about. Fried this, and smothered that, I was always experimenting with food, the cook book was the only book I’ve read in years, and don’t get me started on Vanilla Cokes…too late! Vanilla Cokes and I were like a guitar with strings, a car with tires, Frankie Beverly with Maze. Think I’m over exaggerating? Let’s do the math. For breakfast I would drink one before I ate and another to wash the food down, one as a snack, one with lunch, one with dinner, and about two before the day was over. You lost count already?! Ugh keep up. This was clearly taking over my body and you could notice. Pant size was getting larger, and how many X’s can I get on my shirt before someone says, “Rich, we need to talk”?
Coming to the realization that you’re overweight
Well let’s be honest, I always knew that I was overweight but was definitely in denial. I mean seriously if I can step on the scale and I barely see the numbers, or my toes don’t you think that’s a dead giveaway that I’m overweight? I would always ask my wife, “Am I fat?” in this role reversal relationship, and she would always reply, “Yes, but you hide it very well.” What does that even mean? Is she in denial too? I don’t understand, I look at my brother and he is eating everything, he never lifts a finger, and never gains weight. We share the same DNA why didn’t I get some of his metabolism? Well now that I’m questioning myself, I pretty much know that the answer. So what should I do? Well you do what any normal person does, eat everything in sight during the holidays and start a New Year’s Resolution.
New Year’s Resolution
It’s January 1st, 2012 and it’s time to make a change. I cut Vanilla Cokes off cold turkey, I’m throwing flour away to prevent myself from cooking fried foods, I’m throwing out the butter, bacon, hot dogs etc. Now I’m regretting it, not because I want to eat, but because the refrigerator is literally empty! “This is really happening,” I’m thinking to myself as I approach the cashier for the second time this week, only this time I have the 24 case of Dasani, whole grain breads, brown rice, chicken breast and fish. With this humongous headache due to caffeine withdrawals, I’m proud of myself for taking the initiative to better myself not only as a man but to show others that our body is not a toy, and what you put in your body is what you will get out.
Saying Goodbye to an Old Enemy
Normally when you start a New Year’s Resolution you’re only on it for a couple of weeks before you slowly transition back to that old lifestyle. It’s not because you’re weak or you don’t have the willpower, it’s because you’re scared. Now once again I’m not speaking for everyone, but I know that feeling. That feeling of doing everything right and stepping on that scale only to have lost half a pound, the fear of letting yourself down and letting down everyone else who was rooting for you. It’s not worth the hassle, I get it…but there’s also this amazing feeling you get when you overcome all obstacles, and weathered the storms. As I type this, 75 lbs. lighter, I’m a walking testimony whereas 10 months ago I was a walking heart attack. The one thing I noticed when losing weight is not to do it for short term purposes i.e. wedding dresses, high school reunions, etc. Just remember one thing when you decide to make that lifestyle change, you’re doing this for you and only you.

Replies

• CBrook04
    CBrook04 Posts: 107
    Options
    Great motivational story! & I agree with everything you have to say, especially "being overweight is the worse feeling ever". Living life stuck in your own body is exhausting. & being afraid is definitely a factor for me. Because I've went all my life eating junk (& getting away with it) I'm afraid I won't be able to make the permanent changes needed. Thanks so much for posting this.
  • RichWard22
    Options
    Thank you! You can do it, that's why we're all here.
  • RichWard22
    Options
    :smile:
  • eleblanc999
    Options
    Love this!!! We share so many of the same feelings. I was looking at pictures of me from last year and I was just like "woah... I knew I was fat but I had no idea I was THAT fat!!!" i would constantly ask my husband "am i fat?" and he would always say "you're not fat you just have a little extra meat on you... it's fine don't worry about it" i think there was a point in time where i was almost 180lbs.... i'm only 5 feet tall. Now I'm sitting here at 120 with maybe 10 or so more lbs to go and I seriously feel awesome! And in all honesty, it's because of friends like YOU that help keep up my motivation!! So now, not only do you feel successful for yourself, but you should know that you have also helped someone else make a huge change in their life! So THANK YOU!!!
  • RichWard22
    Options
    :) I'm glad and proud of you.
  • panamasammii
    panamasammii Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    How about this.. A lady in the bank said to me... Oh Congratulations.... I said, For what? Reply: on your Pregnancy!!!!!!!!!!!

Errm no Im not pregnant, Im just fat!!!!!!!!

I was in denial too, I didnt even own a scale! It took a trip to the beach for me to "get" it. How awful I felt in my swim suit. I felt and looked like shamu!
    When we got home, I looked at the photos, and there was one of me that literally stopped me dead in my tracks. I could not believe that whale was me. I sobbed uncontrollably for a while and then vowed I would do something about it..

And I have...

Finally, Im on the right track!
  • RichWard22
    Options
    A picture of me was my motivation too.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    this is a good story! it's hard to be honest with yourself, but when you are great things happen! lookin' good man!
  • iroze
    iroze Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Very nice article! Congratulations on getting it published :)
  • RichWard22
    Options
    Thank you everyone