This is probaby really disgusting..

Options
and completely embarrassing, but does anyone else feel they really stink when they workout? I take showers every day after workouts but I don't know what else to do. Maybe I'm just super selfconscious. I've even considered taking showers before workouts. I get really sweating. I wear clinical strength deodorant too. Is this normal?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Google 'urea and sweat'. ywia.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    This thread did not deliver.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    it happens. thats why i shower after the gym.......

most of my gym shirts smell even after washing.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This thread did not deliver.

QFT
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    If I notice a smell before working out, I shower. Then again after working out.
    It's odd. Sometimes I stink to high heaven, other times barely at all. I guess it depends on what I'm working through my system at the time.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I stink and look like I got caught in the rain after working out. Seems normal to me.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Eh, everyone stinks at the gym, that's what you do at the gym. Go about your business and don't worry about it!
  • njohnson1966
    njohnson1966 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eh, everyone stinks at the gym, that's what you do at the gym. Go about your business and don't worry about it!

^this.
  • jonesdav254
    jonesdav254 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Body odor can vary from person to person. Obviously, the level of activity can impact the amount of perspiration. When the prespiration hits the air, bacteria mixes with it and this mixture causes the smell. An environment with lots of bacteria will also cause a higher level of foul smell. You'll notice many gyms spray air cleaners and anti bacteria to keep the smell down. Locations that don't get a good air exchange or are not cleaned regularly, can have a consistent and long lasting smell.

As to your issue of sweating and smell, it could be the impurities from your diet that are mixed into your sweat combined with the airborne bacteria Difficult to say for sure. .
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Seriously! Is there some industrial strength detergent out there for this or do I just have to buy new shirts every month?
  • HeidiSnow
    HeidiSnow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If your stink is from your arm pits, make sure your arm pits are completely dry before you apply any deoderant/antipersperant. That was the fix for me. I always run my blow dryer on my pits just to make sure they are super dry. Then apply. Before that, I went through every female brand (including the clincial stuff) and most male brands and nothing worked long term.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.

I was "blessed" (?) that I usually don't stink, even when I get all kinds of sweaty. Probably some wonderfully complicated medical explanation for it.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are you getting an ammonia smell? That may mean you are not getting enough carbohydrates.
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/information/nutrition/ammonia-sweat-smell.htm
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Do you eat GARLIC? it probably is something you are eating so you are sweating out that strong sent
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Seriously! Is there some industrial strength detergent out there for this or do I just have to buy new shirts every month?

I've heard vinegar can get the smell out. I guess you wash it once in vinegar to get the smell out and then wash it again with detergent to get rid of the vinegar smell. I've never tried it though.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Cup of white vinegar with the detergent. If you have pit stains soak in vinegar first then wash.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.

I was "blessed" (?) that I usually don't stink, even when I get all kinds of sweaty. Probably some wonderfully complicated medical explanation for it.

I am the same way. And if i DO smell like B.O. it isn't stanky funky BO it is a slightly acidic/acetone smell. *shrug*
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options

Maybe adding some borax to the laundry would help?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    and completely embarrassing, but does anyone else feel they really stink when they workout? ... I get really sweating.

If it's 70+ outside I lose about 2 pounds on a 5 mile run. It's pretty much all sweat. Nothing weird about that. Your body needs to stay cool.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Cup of white vinegar with the detergent. If you have pit stains soak in vinegar first then wash.
    I'll give that a try. What's weird for me (and this only happens with older shirts) is that they will come out of the dryer smelling nice and fabric softener-y, but the second I get sweat on them, they go from zero to stank in a second. Even if I smell fine. It's like the sweat is just hiding in there after a wash waiting to come out again. Anyways, gross! Hahaha