Just weighed in and sadly crying like a baby

Options

Replies

• super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Wow your weight loss is amazing, 4lbs is nothing it could just be water weight or

….when was the last time you went for a poo, that could be 2lb right there, don't worry.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I have been on my journey to health since March 3 and have moved through my weight loss loosing 92lbs to date. When I stepped on the scale this a.m. my weight was up four pounds. (I haven't deviated from my food plan and although been exercising irregularly--not everyday as I should but every other day).

I know how hard it's going to be to re-loose those four pounds and it has just devastated me. I'm so, so sad and depressed.

Since I always try to be positive...I am proud that I'm not going to food to find solace.

But, I can't stop crying.....

From looking at your diary, I'm going to say it was bound to happen. You have not been consuming enough calories. You've been consuming too few for long enough that you've put your body into starvation mode. Your body has slowed its metabolism to conserve every calorie you consume. Eating fewer than 1200 calories and some days even fewer than 800 is not healthy. Your organs need calories to function. You need to start eating more calories and yes, you are going to gain some weight back until your body adjusts to "not starving". I'm sorry to tell you, but you've lost the weight the wrong, unhealthy way and it probably will not stay off.

You need to re-assess and start doing it the healthy way...yes this will set you back some, but your body will thank you for it and you will become healthy while you are at it.

Here is a thread you should read regarding eating below your BMR:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr

Since you said you exercise every other day, I'm guessing you are not bed ridden and the American Heart Association does not recommend a person consume fewer than 1200 calories unless they are someone who IS bed ridden and unable to do ANY type of activity. Then their calories are established by a dietitian.

You're starving your body....please look at some of these other sites as well...you are harming your body not helping it.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

http://thefitgirls.com/weight-loss-calculator.aspx

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have been on my journey to health since March 3 and have moved through my weight loss loosing 92lbs to date. When I stepped on the scale this a.m. my weight was up four pounds. (I haven't deviated from my food plan and although been exercising irregularly--not everyday as I should but every other day).

I know how hard it's going to be to re-loose those four pounds and it has just devastated me. I'm so, so sad and depressed.

Since I always try to be positive...I am proud that I'm not going to food to find solace.

But, I can't stop crying.....

You've lost 92lbs. NINETY TWO .

Look in the mirror.
    Go look at your before pictures.
    Go look at the clothes you used to wear that don't even come close to fitting properly anymore.

And when you're done doing that, pull yourself together.

You got this.

I would have to agree with this. This is the way to look at it. You have done such a GREAT job. Don't let this one tiny setback get you down. Just keep moving forward. You've got this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You have lost a HUGE amount of weight - focus on that, its fantastic.

I would however recommend that you take a diet break for a week or two (eat at what should be your maintenance for 2 weeks). You have been on very low calories. Dieting is stressful to us and can cause hormonal imbalances, especially the leaner you get, and especially for women. When you come off it, I would suggest you eat your calorie allotment. This may slow down your weight loss but imo it will be easier on both your body and your hormones (as well as giving you a mental break). You may gain a couple of pounds, but this is temporary and would be food/water weight.

Agreed. Take a small break. You've lost so much - it's very inspiring and you should be proud! But give your body a rest, then come back and eat all your calories. Your body needs fuel :)
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Not to worry. You would have to have consumed an extra 2000 calories a day to have actually gained that much in a week. In looking at your diary, that is not possible.

I agree with others here that you should consider increasing your caloric intake. Calculate your TDEE and subtract 500 calories from that. If it makes you too nervous then slowly increase up to that number. The other way to look at it, is to calculate what your TDEE will be when you have reached your goal weight. As long as you don't go over that number of calories then you would eventually get to your goal too.
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. You eat so little, I see quite a few 800 calorie days in there. I can't imagine that your food intake caused an actual gain. Did you take in more sodium than usual the past couple of days? I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Try to keep in mind all the weight you have lost so far - it's an impressive feat! And good for you for not falling prey to comfort eating right now. You WILL overcome this scale malfunction! (Hey, could your scale need new batteries?)

This might be part of the reason that you're not losing and are gaining. If you're eating too little, your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto the weight. I recommend upping your calories and drinking a lot of water. Regardless, you've made HUGE progress. Try to focus on the big picture rather than the small setback.
  • discoqueen73
    Options
    ok

1. You have done AMAZINGLY WELL to lose 92 bloody lbs!!
    2. I agree with the others, you are not eating enough cals.
    3. I try never to go less than 1200 a day and am consistently losing weight
    4. Stop beating yourself up - I put on a lb the other week (and I had only lost 3lbs at that point so was gutted) but I got myself back on track and lost 2lbs the following week.
    5. Have a good cry today and then pull yourself together and look at tomorrow as a new day!
    6. YOU CAN DO IT!!

:bigsmile:
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Is this your normal weight in time/day? i weigh in on a sunday morning between 10 and 11am. I actually put on weight during the week and drop back down to a loss by the time sunday comes around. Say i'm 259 on a sunday, i can go up to 263 on wednesday and be back down for an overall loss to 257 by the next sunday. Its really crazy but thats why i keep my weigh in date and time the same otherwise it;d drive me crazy.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    1. I can guarantee you that it's not 4 pounds of fat that you gained (unless you ate 2000 calories more every single day for a week than you were supposed to, which clearly you didn't).
    2. Several factors could cause it, but maybe you were dehydrated at your first weigh-in and had some water retention at your second, or a range of other things.
    3. You do need to start eating some more if you don't want to screw up your metabolism and cause your body to hold on to every single possible nutrient you put in. Your body is under a lot of stress even when just losing a little bit of weight, by undereating so much, you are putting it under a lot more stress. Put some more in, you don't have to be scared - you won't pick up weight if you start increasing calories.

Good luck with the rest of your journey, you have done amazingly well so far!!!
  • nursenae1
    nursenae1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Keep your head up!!! u have lost weight before, and can do again!! trust me I know discouraging. take a couple days off..set a day after w/e & hit it hard... and stay away fm scale for a bit.i went on treadmill everyday, 30 days straight 30 min.. felt great!! thought for sure couldnt wait to see result on scale.. I gained 4. and almost gave up , just cuz I saw the numer.. as long as ur eating right and exercising, stay away fm it for bit :happy:
  • lacismomma
    Options
    I'm in TOTAL agreement with this---you can't be eating so little and expect to lose---you're body thinks you're starving it. More than a couple days in a row like this and your body will just hang on to the calories/fat and store it for fear you are starving it. Try making sure to net the 1200 calories.
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If any of you come back to the thread--I wish to extend my personal thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I went for an hour+ walk and reflected upon these words...and I am more determined than ever. Thank you!!!!
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Be careful being under by too many calories. As a diabetic and someone with pancreatitis I have seen a few dieticians in my life. One thing they have always said your body needs energy to work and if you starve your body it will store fat to have something to burn in times of a deficit. Make sure you get enough carbs, fat, and calroies. You have lost A LOT of weight and your body is adjusting to everything...Widhing you continued success in this journey!
  • LiliWray
    LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think it's very inspirational that you have lost 92 pounds. Keep in mind that your weight can fluctuate somewhere around +/- 2 pounds any given day. You are a work in progress. Your 92-pound loss didn't happen overnight, and you have been working very hard to reach where you are right now. I wouldn't even consider this a set-back right now. It's just a number on the scale that was, at one point, the smallest number you had seen for a long time, or maybe ever. Just use it as a reminder to stay in-check with yourself, and to stay focused on your long-term goals. YOU GOT THIS!
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Could be any number of reasons - body retaining water, maybe a cold coming on, etc. - get back to it, and next week weigh in again! :D You can do it! <3
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If any of you come back to the thread--I wish to extend my personal thanks for your words of wisdom and encouragement. I went for an hour+ walk and reflected upon these words...and I am more determined than ever. Thank you!!!!

Bless you <3 Go get it!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. You have lost a HUGE amount of weight - focus on that, its fantastic.

I would however recommend that you take a diet break for a week or two (eat at what should be your maintenance for 2 weeks). You have been on very low calories. Dieting is stressful to us and can cause hormonal imbalances, especially the leaner you get, and especially for women. When you come off it, I would suggest you eat your calorie allotment. This may slow down your weight loss but imo it will be easier on both your body and your hormones (as well as giving you a mental break). You may gain a couple of pounds, but this is temporary and would be food/water weight.

^ EXCELLENT advice!

Also, if you've managed to make it down 92 lbs without hitting a plateau, you are very lucky. Most people hit several before getting down that far. Patience. Education. Perspective. They go a long way.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    You have come such a long way. Don't let 4 lbs get you down. Everyone has ups and downs and it could be anything. Stick to what you've been doing since it has worked so well. You will see more progress, just give it time. Hugs
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    If it helps, I have only managed to lose 41 lbs since February!! See, I will make you feel better at my expense!

Seriously though, 90+ pounds since March.....are you kidding me? That is nuts...........................you are kicking the crap out of it!!

Now may be a good time to refocus your approach to whatever weight you have left to lose (or want to lose).

Maybe the new you can handle things differently than the old one who needed to lose the first 90 lbs. Think about what the thinner you can do and forget what the old one was limited to.

AMAZING JOB.
  • Goldie2u2
    Goldie2u2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful job you've done with your weight loss...I am so proud of you

BUT......You need to EAT! My goodness..you are running many, many days at 800-900 calories...that's not enough to survive on and your body is sending you a serious message! You eat very healthy..you just need to eat a bit more-without the fuel to burn your body is afraid to let go of anything..hence the gain. I know it's said a million times on these boards but here we go again--YOU MUST EAT.