What change did you make that helped you most?

Options

Replies

• tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Keep it coming these are great ways that I can start making changes I deserve!
  • ladybug114
    ladybug114 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I first started really trying to lose weight, I just cut back my calories. I lost a few lbs., but after a little while I just stopped losing. I would even be under the calories I was supposed to have- and the scale didn't budge. Then I started running, even just a quarter mile and then some walking, a few days a week. I first noticed that my body shape changed, and then I started losing lbs. as well. I realized that I can't do it just by cutting calories; I have to exercise as well. Even if I'm slightly over calories but I am regularly exercising, I lose weight more consistently.

I've also had to accept that even if I stay within my calorie range, but I eat too much junk food (usually sugar), I don't lose. Which can be frustrating, because I feel like I'm hardly eating anything and am always hungry, yet I am staying the same weight.

Hope this helps!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    when i was plateau'd, someone recommended that I start drinking more water and watch my sodium. It worked.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    No prepacked, canned, frozen food. CLEAN EATING and lowering my carbs increasing fiber and lean protein.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I dropped soda.

This.
  • sweetkeys
    sweetkeys Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Defined weight loss and weight maintenance as a lifestyle and not a diet. Also exercise, exercise, exercise and exercise some more!!
  • LoriBeMe
    LoriBeMe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Honestly.... As much as I hate to say it. Stopping drinking every night. I used to have at least 1 large glass of wine every single night. Since I've stopped I have more energy, can concentrate better, eat better, have a ton more motivation. A close second is lifting weights but that wouldn't of happened without sorting the drinking out anyway, and it's still very early days for the lifting, but so far I'm really pleased with my small results so far!
    ^^ this drinking daily part goes for me too, plus a food scale is my best friend. I also find that prepping my meals in advance helps a lot so I don't grab just any old thing if I'm in a rush.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Stopped eating out so much.......
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    MFP really made me aware of how many extra calories I was eating by finishing the food on my son's plate. After I had him I was only about 10lbs heavier than my pre-preganancy weight. I gained an additonal 10lbs after I had him. If you have a family, make sure you don't this. It is ALOT harder than it sounds. I came from a family where we didn't waste food. So, instead of throwing it out, and being greedy, I was finishing his last chicken nugget or fishstick, last bite of sandwich, etc. After I joined MFP I realized I was eating up to an additonal 250 calories a day extra without realizing it.
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The number one thing that prevents me or allows me to lose weight at this point is eating/not eating food at night. I have always been a snacker and I hate going to bed on an empty stomach. But cutting out food 3 hours before I go to bed has made a huge impact on my weight loss.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My attitude and willingness to step outside of my comfort zone.
  • annasensei
    Options
    Defined weight loss and weight maintenance as a lifestyle and not a diet. Also exercise, exercise, exercise and exercise some more!!

Yes! Lifestyle change!

And also being ok with it being a VERY slow process. Dropping 10 lbs in two weeks is do-able, but not sustainable.

I exercise for fun and energy, rather than for a race or event. I will say, however, that training for an event was a good initial motivation, but just be careful of burnout.
  • Slack2ShortGo
    Slack2ShortGo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Changing my goal from lowering # of pounds to lowering % body fat. Along with that, I have tweaked my diet some and started exercising regularly. I'm no longer a slave to the scale with my every mood tied to it (and the sabotage that comes with that).
    Perfect! I need to think of my weight loss like this. It makes sense when people keep saying "You look thinner", but I don't see the results on the scale.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Realizing it wasn't about the weight. It was about changing my relationship with food and changing the way I see myself.
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Stopped eating out... food taste better when I cook it :)
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    Hate to say it but I hated exercising MFP friends made me love it and cutting back on cals. I hate to know how many I was eating before I started.

Same here but I know and hate how many I was consuming lol.
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    My attitude and willingness to step outside of my comfort zone.

This was definitely true for me as well. I felt so uncomfortable at the gym at first but slowly overcame it.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Paying attention.

I have always been relatively slender and I had started to take it for granted and consequently had become lazy. I went to the gym, but I didn't push myself; I ate very healthily, but simply too much.

Then I joined the MFP and started paying attention. The results are very gratifying. Today my students (girls 20 years younger than me) commented how svelte I looked :smile:
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Logging my food and exercise daily...it made me realize just what I was putting in my mouth and how lazy I had become. I feel so much better and have so much more energy!! I also wear a HRM during every workout so I can challenge myself to burn more calories.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Changing my goal from lowering # of pounds to lowering % body fat. Along with that, I have tweaked my diet some and started exercising regularly. I'm no longer a slave to the scale with my every mood tied to it (and the sabotage that comes with that).
    Perfect! I need to think of my weight loss like this. It makes sense when people keep saying "You look thinner", but I don't see the results on the scale.

That's right. You can be 2 or 3 sizes smaller and still be the same weight. People don't know the number on the scale, only you do.