Self Control

Options
Need Help---I am addicted to food.No matter how much I control myself the minute I am near food I lose control and over eat. Not sure how to change what I feel for food. I want to eat to live and not other way round. Has anyone gone through this. How did you over come your weakness towards food. Thank you in advance for reading this and posting your views.

Replies

• I feel your pain, I tend to do the same thing. I found that forcing myself to count to ten chews with every mouthful slowed down my intake a lot, and I felt fuller after less than if I gorged..
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Portion your food before you cook it.
    Keep limited food in the house
    When you JUST EAT. Don't watch TV. Don't browse the internet. Don't talk on the phone. Don't read. Just eat.
    Eat slowly. Really allow yourself to taste and enjoy the food.
    If there's a certain time of day (like night) that you tend to binge A. Make sure you you're getting enough during the day. or B. Allow extra calorie at night by cutting back a bit on meals where you might not be as hungry.
    Write down your feelings before and after a binge. Try and identify some triggers. Are you bored? Are you sad? What happened before you binged? Did something stress you out?
    Don't cut out your favorite foods, just learn to portion control. If there are foods that you really can't control yourself around, perhaps cut those out or only buy in small portions. For example tiny bags of chips, small pieces of chocolate...etc
    If you're had enough to eat and you really think that you're not hungry physically distract yourself for 20 minutes, with TV or a walk or reading a book.
    Drink A LOT of water! Tea and Black Coffee are a personal favorite of mine as they suppress my apatite. Good luck! I find I binge less when I'm not to strict with myelf and fit the foods I want in my cals by exercise, eating less at other meals or portion control.
    Try planning our your entire day the morning of or a few days before for what you really want BEFORE you binge on something add this to your calories to discourage you from eating it to show you how over you would go. If you can fit in 100 calorie of chips or something get your serving then LEAVE the kitchen
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    There is a support group in the "real" world called overeaters anonymous. I don't know much about it, but it helped a guy who stayed with us a couple of years ago. He was close to 400 lbs. several years ago, couldn't stop himself from eating waaaay too much. Joined OA and learned how. Has maintained a healthy weight for several years. You could probably google the group. Good luck! It has to be really tough since we all must eat. Not like other addictions that are optional.

barb
  • KellyJannine
    KellyJannine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have an issue with your relationship with food (maybe)... I encourage you to find a book on this. Check out the library. Maybe journaling when you are wanting to go crazy will be helpful. OR... maybe you are feeling deprived because you are trying to do too much too fast. It helps me to eat very low calorie foods that I can have a lot of, for less! For example... I can have 1/2 cup of egg whites for 60 calories, instead of two whole eggs for 140... and there are low calorie breads that are 40 calories a slice making your two slices of bread 80 or 90 depending on the brand, plus whatever you put inbetween them. Look for options like these. You can also "pig out" on lower calorie items... I choose kashi go lean mediteranean pizza. It is a tasty pizza and I can eat the whole thing for 870 calories.. sounds like a lot, but if that binge gets me through the rest of the day. I do it!!! You have to give yourself some things.. don't mess with the "I can't have that" it will tear you down, and you will literally crash into the food table, mouth open wide! :) Eat an apple before every meal that you think you are going to go crazy. It fills you up pretty good. Beans are really filling too. I make "bean tacos"... I spread beans on white corn tortillas and fry them in pam.. just a little bit of beans, and I eat four of those. I find ways to make myself feel like i'm being bad but it is low cal... maybe this isn't exactly healthy, but it stops me from going hog wild on the potato chips and stuff.
    Good luck
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    eat slowly...this is key. Put the fork down between each bite and really notice the taste of what you're eating and enjoy it. Try to listen to your hunger signals, and notice when you begin to feel full and stop. When you eat slowly, you are naturally more satisfied! Try to eat filling foods too, not like potato chips on their own for example...it's easy to down a bag of those in front of the tv and not feel a thing. Foods with nutritional value. Choose foods that are tasty and will also make you feel good!
  • KellyJannine
    Options
    Funny thing is (not actually that funny...) when you eat foods, it triggers endorphines like drugs do.. so you FEEL GOOD. It doesn't just taste good. It is crazy how the body reacts to sugars, fats, and salt. If we could just turn those off, it'd be nice.
  • Sanvita58
    Sanvita58 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Cant thank you all enough for sharing your views. I work in a place where we have loads of eatables near coffee area..and its free...I live in a joint family where I have all age groups so house is always stacked with all kinds of food...Have to cook enough for 5 people..so its always quite in abundance...I have noticed I feel like eating when I am alone (at home) or not occupied with work ( depending on each days assignment)...every time I overeat I hate myself for having done that to me...may it be 2 extra cookies...I make up my mind to stop it but then again I am near the coffee area my hand just grabs cookies...I know self control is the key buy I dont have one.. :(
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you are saying. I've always been like this. It's always a struggle -- at least for me it still is -- but, I finally decided I wanted to be healthy more than I wanted food. I have a lot of support from friends and family at home, as well as here on MFP. So far, I've been doing great. And, I don't plan to give up now.
  • KellyJannine
    Options
    that is very difficult.. I have a family of 7.. and I have to cook foods that my young children will eat.. most of the time that means I cook different meals for me! It is costly to do that, and also more time consuming.. it is not easy EVER.. it's difficult. I can only imagine having a coffee bar stocked with free junk food.. lol I buy junk for the family.. but I try to buy the stuff I don't like to eat. Sometimes I eat it even though I don't like it because it is junky.. last night I made cookies that were made out of oats, protien powder, milk and butter.. and of course sugar.. but I used half sugar and half sugar substitute. Maybe you could bring fruit with you so when you go for your coffee you grab some grapes or something equally as easy!

Good luck!
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    What I've always find interesting is if someone said exactly what this poster said except replaced "food" with "alcohol" we'd immediately tell them to go into rehab or seek professional help. however, because it is "food" that is the addiction, we think it is only "willpower" that will solve it. If you really are addicted to food, you need to seek real professional help with this issue. If you feel you CAN'T control yourself around food, and you eat alone so as to hide your habit, those are signs of addiction(very rarely do alcoholics get drunk in large groups, they usually drink alone). Please contact a medical professional and see if there are any groups in your area that can help you talk through your problems with people that know all about it. I admire you being honest about your problem, but an internet forum is no place to get this type of help.
  • KellyJannine
    Options
    I personally didn't read her post as food addiction... I read it as not knowing when to stop. Self control is real in every area of people's lives. Look at anger, cleanliness, tact... its everywhere.. some people can't control what comes out of their mouth... cursing, truths they really shouldn't be saying.. whatever.. I really think it is just a mental block she's got to get passed. She says NO i can't have it... and ends up wanting it.. don't you always want what you can't have? It's mind over matter. YOU have to say I don't need it. You have to tell yourself, "no, I don't want it" ... or "no, i'm not really hungry" or just stay away from the coffee bar altogether if it is a trigger.. let's face it... we didn't all gain the extra poundage by having self control. we lost our self control somewhere along the way, and it takes a long time for some people get past the fact that they can't just get whatever they want anymore. You are doing it for yourself, though... and therefor your motivation AND will power is there.. you just have to be conscious of it, and acknowledge it. :)
  • Sanvita58
    Options
    Thank you all once again..I found a colleague in office who lost a lot of weight and is quite determined and has good self control...I have thought that I will always take her along in coffee breaks so that she motivates me and stops me from putting my hand in cookie jars...and yes at home I have to think of something similar but difficult to control when all others can have whatever they want and how much ever they want...atleast with this new friend in office I can control this habit 5 days a week and 12 hrs a day when I am in office....but I will still need some help from people who have been in the same situation and come out of it...thank you all....
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you all once again..I found a colleague in office who lost a lot of weight and is quite determined and has good self control...I have thought that I will always take her along in coffee breaks so that she motivates me and stops me from putting my hand in cookie jars...and yes at home I have to think of something similar but difficult to control when all others can have whatever they want and how much ever they want...atleast with this new friend in office I can control this habit 5 days a week and 12 hrs a day when I am in office....but I will still need some help from people who have been in the same situation and come out of it...thank you all....

I used to nosh constantly on carbohydrate- and sugar-laden foods....I have been low-carb (high protein/high-fat) for two weeks now, and the cravings are gone. No more do I eat the crusts from my kids' sandwiches, the leftover pasta in the pot, the crackers in the cupboard at 10:00 at night.... I have even cut the sugar from my coffee in the morning (a large feat), and I find I don't really get hungry until lunch, and then I am stuffed for hours on my meat-and-veggie lunch. I think it is carbs that are addictive, and they are always hanging around in offices, be it bagels, donuts, cookies. They are quick, easy and satisfying, and when you need a little pick-me-up, they are always there. You have to make a conscious effort in the beginning, I even went through some nasty withdrawals for a few days. But every time I dump leftover bread or pasta in the trash I feel proud. I downloaded a little reminder that says "My stomach is not a garbage can." It helps keep me focused.
  • melmonroe
    melmonroe Posts: 111
    Options
    Self control is great in the mind -- but the body acts like a totally different person. Like someone else is taking over and stuffin' the pie hole. LOL! Yep, when my blood sugar levels drop and whammm!

I'm doing a near fast for several days trying to figure out what triggers that binge monster in my body. I cannot win using willpower against the body.. it ALWAYS WINS! I must find foods that keep that monster happy and keep my brain sane.

For me, increases in fats (without sugar or complex carbs) works best. Example might be hard boiled eggs or a simple tablespoon of olive oil. Those cookies on my tongue probably would make my monster emerge instantly and gobble up the whole tray. LOL!
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Self control is a definite struggle. I've faced it, and I still do to this day. But it takes baby steps. Just as a baby learns to walk by first crawling, and then standing, you've gotta take baby steps. Self control won't just appear out of thin air. You've got to work your way there. Tell yourself no more of the cookies and stick to it. When you grab for a cookie, think about that - you've told yourself you wouldn't do it, and stick to it. And when you get through the day, think about the victory that you've had. You've beaten the cookie, or whatever else it is that you've said no to. And then let that continue to fuel you to say no to other things. Just take it one day at a time.

A prime example of this is what happened to me yesterday. My mom is uber supportive of my weight loss, but she decided to bring me a big old box of assorted donuts and a smaller box of powdered donut bites to share at work. Before I started losing weight, I would have taken the small box of powdered donut bites and had them all to myself. And when I quit focusing on losing weight, I would have told myself that just one donut would be okay. But yesterday, I had already eaten breakfast, and it was about time for my morning snack, which I pack and keep in the fridge with my lunch. So, I told myself no. Even though the donuts were in the cubicle I share with my co-workers and I would have to stare it in the face all day long, I told myself no, and I stuck to it. So every time I looked at it, or walked by it, or smelled the donuts, I thought to myself - before I could even think about grabbing one - "you told yourself no, and that's that. You've already eaten, and you'll be having your lunch before you know it. No need to spoil your lunch on one measly donut." And that's what helped me get through the day. And so this morning, the last of the donuts were eaten, and I relished in the fact that I avoided them at all costs. Now, my self control's not perfect. I still struggle at times, but its something that I am slowly but surely building up.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I find that making myself see what calories are in everything before I eat it, gives me much more self control. I didn't realize just how many calories were in certain things until I started reading labels and measuring portions.
    I suggest to people that can't get started on a diet and stick with it more than a few hours, to first start logging everything. For a week, you can eat normally and have anything you want, but you must write it down. This gives them an idea of how many calories are in the foods they eat and exactly how much they actually are eating, but without the pressure to stay below a calorie level. Once they know how much they are eating and become educated on calorie counts, they can start to make better choices and slowly lowering their calories. For some people, trying to make huge changes at one time is just too difficult for them. They have to 'lean' into it.

And once you start seeing that one cookie can have more calories than a whole chicken breast and a side vegetable, it makes those choices a little easier.

Like others have said, if you truly feel you are dealing with an addiction, ask your doctor for help, or look for an OA group in your area.
  • MakeitAWFUL
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way you do.
    I was thin in high school. I wasn't the best eater but I didn't overeat and I was really active.
    I graduated, moved out on my own, got pregnant, became a full time stay at home mom while my fiance worked. I am only 23 so while all of my now-old friends (when your the only mom in a group of young people you tend to drift apart) are out partying, staying out late, going out and doing other things I stay home with my little girl. To top it all off we moved away when my fiance got a new job so we are in a new town, new state where I know nobody and am still figuring my way around. My comfort has been food. The most exciting thing I do is eat. Of course I love my daughter, I love being with her. She is so happy and wonderful but she's only 16 months and we can't have conversations, she wants to watch her cartoons and explore, play with her toys, nap all the things young toddlers do so when I am home alone with her I eat and being someone who used to just eat when I needed to otherwise I was too busy being young and on the go I feel like for the first time I'm really discovering all the great foods out there, I'm really tasting things and unfortunately I feel I have become a food addict. Even since I've started this program I will put together my food list in the beginning of the day, make sure I have my 1200 calories but towards the end of the night when my fiance gets home, after dinner he will pull out a bag of chips, or ask if I can grab him some ice cream and there I am starting to nibble on things. As soon as he takes the chips out I'm like "Oh that sounds good" or I start scooping the ice cream for him and "wow that looks amazing" and then I go ahead and have the chips or the ice cream and say its okay tomorrow will be better. Lately it seems to be getting into a routine.So while are situation differs I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have an unhealthy relationship with food as well where I love to eat, I love food and I have the worst self-control in the world. I always start off the day saying okay today I'm going to do it and by the end of the night the food always wins. But I know what I need to work on. It's my self-control. I know I have none. ZERO self-control. And I envy people who have great self control. I am very ashamed of the fact that my self-control is so horrible. But that is my motivation, I know the problem, I know what I need to work on. Today has been a good day. Today I was really able to reel in all my cravings, I finally was able to stick to my 1200. I am so proud of myself, hopefully this is the start in a good pattern. The thing I found to be very helpful is thinking about how I felt the night before. I don't know about you but every night when I know I've eaten more then I should have I lay in bed and I feel incredibly guilty and I feel disgusted with myself. Today whenever I had the urge to just go for it and eat this or that I just reminded myself of how bad I felt the night before and promised tonight I would not feel that way. Tonight I would go to bed feeling good about myself and that's what I am going to do.
    Sorry for the long post. I guess I need some support myself!
    But I hope that helps you as well.
    Just whenever you think of grabbing that extra cookie or whatever it may be just think of how good you will feel about your day if you don't do it. How much closer you will feel to meeting your goals not just to lose weight or be healthier but to gaining your self-control.
    I really hope that helps you.
    I wish you the best of luck in everything!
  • Sanvita58
    Options
    Hi..Thank you so much for your post...Yes I am going to make it work..today I just grabbed black coffee....and no cookies....so it is a small step...its just mid morning and have long 6 more hours to go to control my cravings..but I have to do it as every time I break lose..I just hate myself...so I would want to make myself proud at the end of every day for being strong enough to say not to those extra eating....Thank you
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Need Help---I am addicted to food.No matter how much I control myself the minute I am near food I lose control and over eat. Not sure how to change what I feel for food. I want to eat to live and not other way round. Has anyone gone through this. How did you over come your weakness towards food. Thank you in advance for reading this and posting your views.

Change the type of food. I bet you can't eat too much baked chicken, broccoli, and blueberries. Go ahead...try it.
  • MakeitAWFUL
    Options
    It is hard. It's really really hard! Trust me I know! But you can do it! And honestly if you start the morning good it usually makes the rest of the day easier! I noticed that if I started the day off with a protein shake or some fruit that I am motivated to continue having a good day vs. if I have a donut and then I feel bad for the donut and get off track the rest of the day. So the fact that you had a good start this morning is really good!! Just keep it up!! Good luck!