PROTEIN! GAH! HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    On one hand, you may be over- thinking it; a lot of people are hypothyroid. It's really not expensive nor a big deal to take synthroid everyday.

On the other hand, you can look into making your own greek yogurts. The ones I've seen are full of sugar and high in calories. It's really not hard to make, just a little time consuming.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    you can bake flaxseed into muffins and breads or add to smoothies. adds a decent amount of protein (about 30g protein per cup of flax).

also i eat my whey protein in oatmeal made with almond milk. to me it's a lot more palatable than drinking it in a shake.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    How vegetarian are you?

If you are an ovo-lacto vegetarian, then eggs and milk can provide quite a bit of protein.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Savi seeds! The first one tastes really weird for some reason (each...and...every...time), but these things are actually quite delicious AND the protein to calorie ratio is great!

I know that you can get them through the Vega brand or maybe just google them. At least this way you aren't drinking all of your protein calories.

As for protein shakes that don't have soy or whey, you can try Garden of Life RAW. It is completely plant-based, gluten and soy free. I get bored and sometimes switch it up and drink Plantfusion. Pretty much the same, but not as hearty as the RAW. I think it's pea protein.

Finally, here is a vegan on-line store. You can browse around and maybe find some good protein options: http://veganessentials.com/

Oooh! and, if you want to just try the Plantfusion, they have a cheap sampler pack, you can try all four flavor for $5. The protein is pretty high: http://store.veganessentials.com/plantfusion-protein-sampler-pack-p3673.aspx

Whew! hope that helps!
  • CPAUTISM24
    CPAUTISM24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Check out the Hallelujah Acres Diet on hallelujahacres.com. They are 100% Vegan. Hopefully this will help you.:blushing:
  • malcontent
    malcontent Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein powder has a decent amount of protein, and you can mix it in other foods, like oatmeal or muffins ... Doesn't have a ton of calories, also. I use this one: http://manitobaharvest.com/category/16/Hemp-Protein-Powder.html, and it tastes pretty good (i have vanilla) just mixed up in a shake with a banana or something. It is a bit gritty but not in a nasty way, at least it doesn't bother me.

Oh, and I'm not sure on this one, but isn't fermented soy "safer"? Like tempeh?

Good luck!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest hemp powder too. I like the Nutiva one the best, it also has lots of iron. I mix it with raw cacao powder, a banana, and some almond milk (or eden organic soy....it's not genetically modified and no hexane in the extraction process, one of the only soy products I will touch...I am vegan. The eden unsweetened has 12 protein in 1 cup.)

Chia, flax are easy additions to smoothies, oatmeal, etc. Nutritional yeast also has a good amount (and b12 too.) Split peas and black eyed peas are great, chuck them in the crockpot with spices and veggies, makes a great lunch. I notice the dried ones have more protein than anything canned....
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Try legumes they are chock full of proteins. I am trying to become a vegetarian because I can't have milk, digest meat, and eat bread products because of my IBS. We are basically in the same boat. I read a book called Eat to live that really helped.
  • LotusInTheSky
    LotusInTheSky Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey there, Im vego and always looking for alternative non-soy protein sources as well. I think Quinoa is great. I also make lots of dhals (or lentil and vege soups) using red lentils or mung beans ( a bit easier to digest), Chia seeds are also supposed to be amazing, and I have some cottage cheese and/or yogurt everyday. Nuts are also great, but the calories add up quickly!
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Quorn products?