Does a banana a day keep weight loss away?

A few months ago I swapped my usual breakfast of oats and milk for a green smoothie - my only fruit intake for the day. The smoothie usually contains banana (greenish not overly ripe), spinach, flaxseed, fruit such as apple, berries or kiwi fruit and water. My weight loss has been quite slow but in the past few weeks I've lost nearly 2kg (4.5 lb). The only thing that has changed diet wise is not having a banana in the smoothie. Do you think a banana a day would make such a difference?

Replies

• I eat two a day and no problem.
  • Ive been told not to eat banana's! made sense at the time but i cant remember now what it was about.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    I personally do not eat bananas often. Only because they are high in sugar. Yes, its a natural sugar, but still has quite a bit. It is hard to say that the removal of the banana caused the increase weight loss, as other factors could have contributed to that. However, you can get potassium from other sources and other fruit choices are much better when it comes to their sugar and carb content, such as berries.

:) Congrats on the 4.5 lbs lost!!
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    If EVERYTHING in your food intake has remained the same except the banana, then yes, it makes sense -- you've increased your deficit by 100 something calories.

But if it fits in your calories/ macros, there's nothing wrong with bananas unless you're allergic.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    I eat at least one every day and I've been doing great! That's not to say it's the same for you, but it's definitely not a rule.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    1 banana has around 100 calories, so if you cut that 100 calories from your daily total, then yes, it could make a difference. If you just exchanged the banana calories for something else, then no, it shouldn't make a difference.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    I highly doubt one fruit would have such a big change, but I used to eat a banana every morning for a year and kind of miss it (I stopped because I just couldn't keep up with bananas going bad/prices went up). I was super regular, never had muscle aches, my weight seemed pretty maintained.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    My banana first thing in the morning before my work out is essential. Ok, I really just like it.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Ive been told not to eat banana's! made sense at the time but i cant remember now what it was about.
    I was told to eat half in a day by doc dont remember why either:huh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I eat one or two every day and just laughwhen I see the banner ad here about the belly fat foods you should never eat that shows the rotting banana....they're good for you (fibre, vitamin C, potassium, manganese and a good source of carbs)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I eat a banana every day for a mid morning snack and I'm still losing. They're high in sugar, but if you aren't watching sugar, what could the problem be?
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    i like one in the morning with cinnamon on it.. yummy
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Sugar is why just looked and remembered for kimthy
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Thanks for the input. My overall calorie intake is the same so I don't have 100 calorie deficit from not eating a banana. So either the weight loss is due to some other reason or bananas are a particular food that my body has an issue with. I have a friend who doesn't eat much pumpkin because it affects her weight quite a lot whereas I don't have a problem with it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I know bananas are high in sugar though I only eat barely ripe ones which I thought were lower in sugar, ie doesn't sugar content increase they riper they get?
  • frostman7
    frostman7 Posts: 7 Member
    I am still losing weight. I am a mid-distance runner. Bananas are a great source of everything I am looking for in a food. Please don't blame the banana. Do you workout? If so, a banana is great fuel pre or post.
  • I highly doubt it is the banana's fault.
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    i eat 1-3 bananas a day and everythings fine. i dont understand why people always blame the bananas :/
  • positivepineapple
    positivepineapple Posts: 87 Member
    I literally eat at least 5 bananas a day on most days. I hardly eat any grains, in my opinion raw fruit and vegetables are the best sources of carbohydrates.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    I also doubt the banana is responsible, unless you are truly just getting that 100 extra deficit.

I usually have half a banana in a smoothie or in oatmeal and freeze the other half. No real reason, though. 1/2 just seems to be enough.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    I eat a banana most days....and find them quite a-peeling! :-)