What change did you make that helped you most?

Options

Replies

• TinaS70
    TinaS70 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andreamkelly
    Options
    Weighing my food. I was often eating 2-3 times what they had as a portion on the packet and seriously underestimating my calorie intake!

^this&
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking juice and pop. It makes it way easier to lower my daily calories that way.
  • alvinkunju
    Options
    Spending lots of calories on vegetables. Not fruits!! The veggies make all the difference. Oatmeal for breakfast rather than processed cereals. Making thin soups help, not the rich kind but the ones with a watery broth. Albondigas? Minestrone? :D
    The best change was cutting out most processed foods. It is hard at first but now if I eat too much of anything processed I start feeling sick and I don't finish it.
    But I try and allow myself a day of splurging and then getting back on the program I have created for myself.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Two things for me: increasing my protein (especially breakfast) and making sure to really push my weight up in my strength training.
  • turkdean
    Options
    Putting myself first and knowing I deserve to be in good health. I like to eat clean, it is the food I enjoy most, no soda, more water and move it! Also, my 13 year old has told me over and over how much more she enjoys eating clean!
  • shailiz
    Options
    I started eating something every 2 - 4 hours....no exceptions. Oh, my dietician would be so proud I listened to her!
  • sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    walking 2 30 mins sessions a day
  • JohnnyBLean
    JohnnyBLean Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just tracking my food intake. I was eating way more than I realized. MFP helped me with that.
  • yarninaround
    Options
    the change that's helped me the most is cutting out white stuff: all forms of bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, etc, all the things that convert to glucose and raise blood sugars in the body very quickly and make me feel unhealthy
  • Stila562
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda and eating chips! i had a mad obsession with chips. i could eat 2 family bags in a day, and i would consume around 12 cans of soda a day! so quitting both was really hard on me. I been soda and chips free for months now :).
  • scoilcolm
    scoilcolm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    started going on long mountain hikes with my husband and sister its great fun and keeps my weight down.
  • neda34
    neda34 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love your idea. I will apply this to my diet. Thanks
  • chrisnelsonusa
    chrisnelsonusa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eliminating 3 to 4 20 ounce Mountain Dews per day and replacing it with water. Also trying to limit myself to 400 calories every time I eat, I eat more often now, and with only 400 calories per sitting I have learned to eat food that is healthier because it is generally more filling.

Add to that some moderate exercise (30 minutes per day, 5 days per week) and I feel much healthier than I have in 25 years and the weight is melting off.
  • subtlewhisper
    subtlewhisper Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Finding the foods I love to eat that are good for me.
    I am enjoying my food more now than when I was gaining the weight.

25101989.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Eliminating sugar was huge for me. All sources of it pretty much.
    Changing from processed foods and refined carbs to lean protein and veggies.
    I'd say that was 80% of the equation. The exercise part is just to feel better during the day.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Eating more food and less food-like product.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Avoiding hidden sugars, franken-sugars (Stevia is the only substitute you should use), carbonated drinks, white flour (Quinoa pasta rocks!) and unfortunately, alcohol. *sigh*

Homemade veggie soups fill you up, give you vital nutrition and is low in calories.

Lastly, making last meal of the day the smallest.

Exercise is anything making you just MOVE off your butt
    Hm, Quinoa pasta? Awesome, didn't even know it existed, I bet it IS fabulous.. I'll be on the lookout, thanks!

'joywo' what are your thoughts on Xylitol for baking? I've not yet figured out the Stevia comparison to regular sweetener without it being too sweet.. Tips?

So many great tips shared already, so I won't need to mention too many since I've already seen them brought up. I will pop back on this thread for motivation though! This thread is incredibly motivating, it's like a reminder from where I came from before MFP..
    Wow! I had an ED as well. I hated working out, it was a chore in the beginning. I had to literally psych myself up everyday to work out. So that was (1). The second is eating. After came the joy of working out (I'm addicted to the high, now). I had to eat more because I am hungry every 3 hours. After battling with that food was like poison, now it's my friend.
    :heart:
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cheat day! Cheat day for me used to be an all out, caloric no holds barred affair once every Saturday. Little did I know that I was sabotaging my whole week of hard work with just one day of excess.

It seemed hard to grasp at first how I could ruin 6 days of hard work with just one day but when I started actually looking at the calories I was consuming during that cheat day on MFP then my eyes were really opened.

Ever since then my results have been night and day. Every week I can expect to see noticeable results at weigh in if I have eaten clean,excercised, and eaten only ONE CHEAT MEAL instead of an all day extraveganza.

Now its one cheat meal per week and that cheat meal cannot add up to more calories than my daily allowance which now is 1,900.
  • LadyRhodes01
    LadyRhodes01 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Wow! I had an ED as well. I hated working out, it was a chore in the beginning. I had to literally psych myself up everyday to work out. So that was (1). The second is eating. After came the joy of working out (I'm addicted to the high, now). I had to eat more because I am hungry every 3 hours. After battling with that food was like poison, now it's my friend.