How does one learn to be OK with being hungry?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Cassandrat83
    Options
    Since starting on mfp it's a very rare occasion that I am actually hungry- I still eat between 1200-1300 cals a day and I don't eat back the cals I work off. This may be due to the years of trying to starve my waistline into submission (most days previously Id eat around 700 cals). Now I eat every 3-4 hours (3 meals and 3 snacks per day) and I find that I am just starting to get hungry in the 20 min lead up. All I can suggest is that if you are hungry- eat! Just make better decisions with what you eat.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough calories...maybe you're t eating enough? Eat more protein and fat.. Helps you feel less hungry. Perhaps eat smaller meals or snacks... Increase fiber content.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Ummm, I don't know what your day-to-day eating habits are, but I eat at a deficit every day of 1300 cals, and I am never hungry . I mean I get a good healthy appetite worked up right before mealtime, but that is not the same as "being hungry all the time".

If you are still always hungry, you need to change up what you are eating. It's not how much food you eat, it's really what KIND you eat. Whole grains, fresh fruits and clean ingredients are going to stick with you and keep you full much longer than junk, even though you may be eating the same calorie amount.
  • nashvilledragonfly
    nashvilledragonfly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be hungry all the time in order to lose weight. If you are eating at a reasonable caloric deficit for your size, and mainly choosing lower calorie nutrient dense foods, then you should be able to feel full while staying within your calorie range.

When I feel hungry, I eat something, I just make sure that what I choose to eat doesn't take up a huge number of my daily calories. I might have veggies for a snack, but usually I'll go for something like nuts or cheese -- something with a bit of protein and fat that will fill me up quicker and leave me feeling full longer. I try to save the veggies for actual meals when I can eat them along with something more substantial.

When I started out eating lower calorie meals, I did feel hungry more often, but I got used to having small snacks to take the hunger away. If you feel hungry all the time, you might have chosen too low a calorie target or be eating too many empty calories (soda was always my downfall) that use up a lot of calories without giving you much in return.

I agree with this....I also eat snacks in between each meal.I eat grapes,apple slices with peanut butter anything that is healthy but has fewer calories.What this site makes you aware of is your food choices and how many calories you take in each day.You should not be starving but if you have been over eating for some time then I can say from experience that as your stomach shrinks you will feel less and less hungry.that is where eating less but more often comes in.Your stomach will get smaller and you will feel less hungry,this doesn't happen over night and you have to motivate yourself to do what you need to do to lose weight.No one ever said it was easy....if it was,non of us would be on here.You can do this!!!!! I think you do need to talk with your dr. and make sure that you are realistic about your calorie intake,don't take it down too low too quick.This takes time and we are all here to help. Good luck!
  • Shrelana
    Shrelana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't think you guys are getting it. It's not just when I'm dieting (although it is much worse then). I am always hungry. For example,I could eat two double-cheeseburgers with fries and still be hungry. The only reason I stop eating is because I think I'm supposed to. I'm always hungry. I mean ALWAYS. Have any of you ever actually been obese?

I am currently considered obese. I would recommend talking to your doctor about the hunger thing...I don't think it's normal to be ALWAYS hungry no matter how you are eating...
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't think you guys are getting it. It's not just when I'm dieting (although it is much worse then). I am always hungry. For example,I could eat two double-cheeseburgers with fries and still be hungry. The only reason I stop eating is because I think I'm supposed to. I'm always hungry. I mean ALWAYS. Have any of you ever actually been obese?

I get this way, or got this way rather, when my blood glucose levels are/were high. As they drop the body thinks is hungry because it doesn't *know* what normal levels should be...I mayn't have explained that properly. See your Doctor, get checked for diabetes, take a diabetes class. I started this journey morbidly obese, HBP, Triglycerides off the charts.

It takes TIME for the body and mind to get used to eating healthy and less.

Best to you.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Yes. BMI of 33.3 is the top that I've recorded (not counting pregnancy). Obese starts at 30.

I was 31.1 3 weeks ago. Today I'm 29.3 (so barely not obese).

I'm never hungry. I do get the urge to eat - primarily triggered by eating concentrated sugars, and less so heavily fatty foods. I'd suggest starting by keeping your diary here with notes about subtle differences in how hungry you feel. That may help you figure out if you have triggers that create a sensation of being hungry.

But - you may never not be hungry. It is that way for my mother. She is always hungry, and her world is organized around meals because if she skips one (or it is late) she heads toward being non-functional. She has just learned to put up with being hungry all the time.
  • nashvilledragonfly
    nashvilledragonfly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I take my frustrations out on other people.

Kids are a good target, they rarely fight back.

Best response. Ever.

No it isn't - I find it offensive.

I Laugh at the fact that some people have no sense of humor.LOL :)
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yeah, definitely talk to your doctor. Thyroid problems can cause constant hunger pangs, and so can things like SSRIs if you're on those. Some of it could just be your stomach getting used to eating less. As you decrease the volume of food you intake, your stomach has to shrink so the stretch-receptors can send a message to your brain telling you you're full (that's the reason behind the wait 20 minutes after your first helping rule).

I feel hungry a lot, and I find that snacking on a handful of almonds does the most to take away the pangs for me temporarily. The other thing that works for me is exercising or just doing something busy. It's easier to ignore the pangs if you're preoccupied with some activity.

Take care of yourself and stick with it. We are all stronger than our stomachs would like us to believe.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

You just made my coffee come out of my nose :laugh:
  • joycehostetler
    Options
    Usually when one is hungry you need protein. Have hard boiled eggs on hand, cheese, or almonds. There is no reason why a peron should be hungry when eating enough food intake.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    when i eat right i rarely feel hungry.. i dont starve myself either .. i eat six meals a day when im doing things the right way..if i dont then i do get hungry and i eat anything that is in sight.. planning is the best preventionfrom being hungry
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Well, if you are hungry no matter what you do, talking to us isn't the answer. Talking to your doctor is. There are many medical conditions that can cause this, and besides medications, different diets (way of eating, not means to lose weight) can help, but your doctor has to tell you that.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You don't learn to deal with being hungry. You learn to eat smaller meals, indulge in foods high in fiber, drink plenty of water (not fluids because caffeine and sugar have effects on you) eat more often, and to make healthy choices.

When I was eating low carb/high fat I tried that (smaller meals, high fiber-ie filling up on loads of celery etc) and it wasn't effective or sustainable for me.

Now I eat however much I want, when I want. I usually eat two big meals per day and if I didn't get close to my calories, I have a snack at bed time. High fat satisfies me, and I drink the amount of water my body needs, I don't have to force myself to drink to feel full. In fact I do NOT drink water with my meals, only between. I never "fill up" on low calorie foods. When one is no longer hungry all the time, no more need to eat 10 cups of celery. lol
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people subscribe to this idea that "if you're hungry, you're not doing it right," as if being hungry was somehow an indication that you're developing an eating disorder. I believe that if you're going from eating in a completely unhealthy way, giving your body whatever it wants whenever it wants it, there is going to be a transition period where your body and mind has to adjust to eating a healthy amount of calories.

This means that there will be times when your mind will be telling you that you're "hungry." As you eat in a healthy way (1200 net cals at the absolute minimum) more regularly and make that your new normal, your body and mind will finally sync up and you'll begin to feel hungry only when you actually need food instead of when you're bored, stressed, etc. So much of what makes us feel "hungry" has to do with psychological factors like our emotional state and our established eating schedule.

Unfortunately, there will be a transition period where you will be fighting "hunger" pains that have nothing to do with what your body needs. Some people approach this by eating micro-meals (5-6 200-400 calorie meals per day). For a while, though, eating carrots is just not going to feel as satisfying as a cheeseburger. Once that transition period is over and your body has recalibrated itself to a more healthy way of registering hunger, you'll stop feeling hungry all the time and start to feel really good. You'll have a ton of energy and less food will satisfy you than you needed before.

No, with the way I choose to eat, I did not, and do not, fight "hunger". This coming from a true BINGER. Eating low fat micro meals didn't work for me either. I'm not sure that eating just carrots should be a satisfying meal; where's the fat and protein? lol For me, personally, I never did have the benefits you describe from micro meals and choosing to "fight the hunger". With cravings and binging such a problem for me, no amount of "will power" ever helped.
  • gc2951
    gc2951 Posts: 30
    Options
    Turn off the tv or do what I do: record your shows and dvr through the food propaganda.
    I start the day with a glass of water while I make breakfast. Then I keep a glass of water on the counter so evrytime I go to the kitchen, I sip it while I try to figure out why I am there.
    I limit my meals to one serving-no refills. (One exception: Healthy request soups for lunch. I usually eat most of the can.)
    Every bread or cracker and most pasta I put in my mouth is whole grain. Cereals too.
    I limit eating out to once a week, at most.
    Don't drink carbonated beverages. Regular soda has too much sugar and no nutrition. Sugar free has those artificial sweeteners that no one has proved are good for you and have been proven to increase your hunger. Besides which, the carbonation leaches the calcium out of your bones and I like my bones strong the way they are, thank you.
    Find things you like to do that have nothing to do with food. Ever notice you don't get hungry when you're doing something you love?
    And remember, you do not want to diet, you want to start a new lifestyle...something that you can do for the rest of your healthy life. The weight will come off slowly but it will stay off. I am obese now but I know people who have changed their eating habits and I want to be like them.
    I hope this helps.
  • ariesmom07
    ariesmom07 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Lmao
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am finding the more I move, yoga, Pilates, stretching, the less I find myself hungry.