Almond milk

Options

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    the original almond milk is quite good and only has 60 calories per cup.

i've move to unsweetened recently (30 calories per cup) but it definitely doesnt taste quite as nice.

anything in the flavored category is going to rack your calories up a little bit higher (e.g. the Dark Chocolate flavor is 120 calories per cup).

I use original almond milk in all my baking now as well =)
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It could have been disastrous if I had gone with say a no flavored 40 calorie one.

DONT THINK SO!

But I love almond milk.
  • greeneyedKat
    Options
    I use unsweetened original in all my protein drinks/smoothies, cereal, and drink it straight. I like the taste but husband and son don't. I used to buy the original or vanilla, but not wanting the calories, switched to Silk unsweetened 30 calories. I heard a few on here say they use unsweetened vanilla. What brand makes that? I've never seen unsweetened vanilla.
  • mindy_0879
    Options
    I dont even remember the last time I drank milk. I have been drinking almond coconut milk which I really love. I mix it with my shakes in the morning and when I want to drink something besides water this is what I choose to drink.. :)
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I adore almond milk! I never thought I would enjoy anything other than regular cow's milk. But, I'm a total convert. I drink the Silk unsweetened vanilla.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    i have started drinking sweetened almond milk...i doubt i will ever go back to regular milk.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk! The chocolate one is delicious, and the plain one that is half coconut milk is great for cooking :3 Plus dairy upsets my stomach if I have too much.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to find that I really like the Silk vanilla almond milk! I tried soy milk once and it just didnt work for me..bleh.
    Im glad that something made me try it!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit lactose intolerant and never really liked soy, was soo happy when I came across almond milk! I love almonds, I consider it dessert in a cup - without the guilt (when it's the unsweetened version anyway, haha). I also really like coconut milk, little bit higher in calories, but eh, I personally think it has a lot more nutritional value than cows milk. Both almond and coconut are great for cooking as well!
  • kmmagik
    kmmagik Posts: 25
    Options
    I just discovered almond milk, too! I am buying the unsweetened one which is only 30 calories per cup. I was never a milk person so I would never drink a glass of milk so I can't speak to that but in oatmeal and cereal the almond milk is really delicious!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    LOVE almond milk!!! I get either the unsweetened vanilla (40 calories) or the unsweetened almond/coconut blend (45 calories). SOOOO delicious! I don't drink cow's milk at all anymore (personal choice, I do eat cheese and yogurt and ice cream) and almond milk is my favorite substitute. <3
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla. 60 calories/cup and I could drink it by the gallons. So. Delicious. :)
  • sjeannie
    sjeannie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Too funny!!!:laugh:

:heart: Love it, DanaDark!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Ive tried a few different almond milks and have found i like blue diamond unsweetened original or vanilla.. Only 40 calories per cup. Silk has one that is only 30 per cup but i dont like it quite as much. I try to avoid the ones with added sugar and or fat and extra calories.
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened original in all my protein drinks/smoothies, cereal, and drink it straight. I like the taste but husband and son don't. I used to buy the original or vanilla, but not wanting the calories, switched to Silk unsweetened 30 calories. I heard a few on here say they use unsweetened vanilla. What brand makes that? I've never seen unsweetened vanilla.
    it is by silk and has the same calories as the regular unsweetened (30) :)
  • babsb121
    babsb121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Having read this discussion, I bought some almond milk today; Blue Diamond (it was cheapest - on offer) unflavoured, unsweetened. Have just enjoyed my first cup of coffee made with it & I also took a sip raw from the carton. Now I actively DISlike cow's milk raw, so it was a very pleasant surprise. Can't see any reason at all to go back to cow's milk, ever.
  • Villy17
    Villy17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk bought in stores still contains many preservatives. It's best if you make your own, and it's really easy!

1: Start with 1 Cup of Raw Almonds.
    2: Soak them overnight (5-8 hours)
    3: Drain
    4: Blend Almonds with 4 cups of water for 2 minutes.
    5: Add a natural sweetener (Honey, Stevia etc.)
    6: Pour into milk nut bag or layered cheese cloth
    7: Voila! Milk usually lasts about 4 days in the fridge.
  • babsb121
    babsb121 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have filched that recipe to try at a future date xxx
  • dmg051202
    dmg051202 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk! It's amazing in chai tea lattes, mmm!
  • khelm31
    khelm31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking the almond/coconut milk that Blue Diamond makes. It's 40 calories for the unsweetened and 60 calories for the sweetened one. Both are great to me. I like it better than the plain almond milk.