late night snacking?

Options
Hi everyone! while I was reading other posts on here I ate a snack of almonds (because I needed them to get my calories in) and dark choc m&m's. (I had this in my diary as counted calories already) i had a good day and a good workout so I allowed myself some chocolate! Anyway, did you know that if you eat an almond and an M&M at the same time it reminds you of a hershey bar!!! Just had to share this.
Anyway, my question is, I work out at night, actually just finished at 11pm, and I'm usually up til 1 or 2, do you think its ok to eat a small snack like this, this late at night? I probably don't get to sleep til 2a.m. ( I'm a night owl and do most of my studies for school at night) What types of snacks should I really avoid before bedtime?
thanks in advance!!

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Studies show that it's not what time you eat them, but how many calories you eat.

That said, people are individuals and, for some people, eating at night triggers them to eat too much. So, I'd say, if it's working for you, don't worry about it. But, if it's not... if your weight loss is slower than you'd expect or you find yourself going over your calories a lot, then you need to watch your nighttime eating.
  • koalamommy
    koalamommy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have also wondered about this.
    I work night shift at the hospital and I often eat a full meal at 3 or 4 in the morning and then go home and eat breakfast. I am trying not to eat for the 2-3 hours before I go to bed and I was wondering if anyone had any info on what the best thing to do is.
    P.S. any tips on how to enter this in my diary? I have been including the meal I eat at work as the last of the day and switching to the next day at breakfast
  • samii13
    Options
    for the comment above, if you go to food then settings you can choose what meals you want to show up, So u can add extra meals to ur diary or set it out the way you want (the site has given an example of using times instead of names of the meal. hope that helps.

As for eating before bed. im realy sorry i have no idea what affect that has on our body, i guess if your still staying in your calorie count then its okay, maybe try not to eat anything thats to heavy in carbs, otherwise it will just get stored straight away with the lack of physical activity. they say that breakfast you should always eat lots of carbs and dinner should have next to no carbs because while you sleep the carbs will then have time to turn to fat and be stored in your body. where as if you eat them for breakfast you use them straight away!
    :)