Is it bad to drink more than 8 glasses of water a day?

Options

Replies

• creampuff2120
    Options
    I have been a lot more active lately and have been drinking about 15 cups of water a day. (I also live in Phoenix AZ. Incredibly dry weather) I've seen many posts saying that amount is dangerous but I feel great. Any advice?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Bad ? no. Pointless ? probably.

The 8 glasses thing has no solid basis, so don't build your castle on that pile of sand.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Also there is theory that caffeinated drink,s like coffee or alcohol actually dehydrates you and you should drink as least a glass of water for every glass of coffee/alcohol you have, that is on top of your normal daily 8. Logging coffee as a glass of water is kind of silly in that regard!

You're right...Coffee and tea are known diuretics, and should most definitely NOT be counted as water. Good Lord, this thread is making me thirsty!!! :drinker:

Wrong

"Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Well, to answer it in short.... This guy drank 9 glasses a day instead of 8:

14-the-blob_imagelarge.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Also there is theory that caffeinated drink,s like coffee or alcohol actually dehydrates you and you should drink as least a glass of water for every glass of coffee/alcohol you have, that is on top of your normal daily 8. Logging coffee as a glass of water is kind of silly in that regard!

You're right...Coffee and tea are known diuretics, and should most definitely NOT be counted as water. Good Lord, this thread is making me thirsty!!! :drinker:

Wrong

"Everyone has heard the advice, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day." That's about 1.9 liters, which isn't that different from the Institute of Medicine recommendations. Although the "8 by 8" rule isn't supported by hard evidence, it remains popular because it's easy to remember. Just keep in mind that the rule should be reframed as: "Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," because all fluids count toward the daily total.

Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive"

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

Sara, for the win.

Only one additional comment - the only place we regularly see water poisoning is in marathons and ultra long bike races because some people stay hydrated without loading electrolytes. If you are feeling faint or sweating a lot from exercise think to replenish electrolytes as you drink water.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It's terrible... you may turn into a cloud.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I drink between 12-16 glasses a day.

Are you drinking because you are thirsty or because you are trying to satisfy a specific number or something else? I'm asking because excessive thirst can be a sign of diabetes. See your doctor.

^^sorry but this is totally ridiculous. I drink around 11-15 cups of water a day. I drink probably 6-7 of those while I'm working out. I drink a lot of water because I LIKE to, it makes my skin look good, and it makes me feel good. Suggesting someone who likes to stay hydrated is likely diabetic and needs to see a doctor is a HUGE leap, and just silly. :grumble:
    How is that "totally ridiculous"? Excessive thirst can indeed be a symptom of diabetes.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, I drink 1/2 my body weight in water which is over 8 glasses. There are benefits to drinking water! My skin has significantly cleared up!
  • issystclaire
    issystclaire Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Gatroade does have sugar in it, so if this is something you are trying to avoid, I would suggest not drinking it. So does vitamin water (in the states). The main reason people drink gatorade is because it has electrolytes in it, which helps you hydrate faster. Well, so does smart water (from the same brand that makes vitamin water). If you don't want extra sugars, I would suggest drinking smart water instead.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    drinking water is good for you especially when working out to flush toxins but it can make hard work on your kidneys as well...there have been people that have went into the hospital for water overload...I think it was from washing out the potassium-magnesium from their bodies but cant swear to that....I drink around 14 a day and havent had any issues yet though :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I doubt it, but this is not a religion.

Remember that you get water from other sources such as fruit and vegetables. What is interesting is that the "8 glasses" rule is not by weight. So someone that weighs 300 pounds gets half as much as someone that weighs 150. It doesn't fit if you do a lot of cardio. After a 10K I drink 5 or more. If it is hot, I drink more.

How would you know if you are not drinking enough? The doc said if the urine it dark yellow drink more. The dermatologist said if your skin is dry drink more. Oh and if you are thirsty, it's OK to drink more.

Is more than 8 OK? It a guideline.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    So I drink enough water so that my skin looks great, my lips don't chap and I don't feel thristy. I drink (now) around 2 cups of coffee, about a pint of ice tea and 6-10 8 oz cups of water a day.

I have found the hardest time to drink water is when it is cold outside.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Unless you're funneling it 3 minutes, there's no problem.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you exercise often it is generally suggested to try an clear a gallon per day.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    The body has no way of storing water so once your hydrated, you're hydrated and you'll just pee the rest of your intake out. If your thirsty then drink and if your pee is straw coloured you know you're good. Everything with liquid in it will count towards your daily intake - including food, tea, coffee, cola etc - you would need to drink A LOT (like a lot, a lot) of tea/coffee for it to have a dehydrating effect.

As for flushing out toxins...isn't that what your kidneys and stuff is there for?!

If you're drinking a moderate amount over the course of the day then it's generally OK, when you start downing a shed load in a small period of time...that's when you usually run in to problems.

But really, you're body is very good a telling you if it need water...learn to listen to it - the "8 glasses per day" will not be the same for everyone...everybody is different after all!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Youll drown!!!!
  • Grenon
    Grenon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I drink between 2L to 4L (8-16 cups) a day, drink more when I am at school just because I always find myself drinking in class, but only drink about 2L when I am home all day.
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The 8 glasses (2 litres) of water is all a myth anyway, don't forget that a lot of your water intake comes from your food...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Youll drown!!!!
    It's cool man, the guy in the cube next to me is a lifeguard. Bottoms up!