Zombies! Run!? Anyone?

Options
I am looking at this app as I want to try running again. When I first started down this road....I tried to run but my knees and my feet said "NO!" Now that I have dropped a few pounds I would like to try it again to mix in with my biking.

The app looks like a fun way to get out there....has anyone tried it and do you like it?

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    bump because I'm interested in seeing what people say about this app too.

and OP, I ran a 5K before I lost weight (more like crawled a 5K by the end haha) and then I didn't run at all until last week, after I lost 18 lbs. I'm not sure if it was in my head but I felt lighter while running, and it was a lot easier on my joints and was generally a much more enjoyable experience! I'd say definitely give it a try and see if you experience the same thing.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the app. I started running in May and picked up this app a couple week later.

At first running was so hard that it was somewhat difficult to concentrate on the story but as I got better at running it helps me to zone out and pass the time. I don't use it every run, more like once a week.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I bought the app when it was on sale for half price. It actually helped me get through a rough week of running.

It would be best used outside and on a path or trail. Somewhere without traffic.

I used it on the treadmill and it wasn't as interesting because the zombies didnt actually chase you. But the story line is clever.

I think I'll use it today on some trails :)
  • vikingchix
    vikingchix Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will go ahead and get it....what can it hurt? I love my biking, but would like to shake things up a bit! And since we are closing in on Halloween....it could be fun!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I really like it! However, it's currently not working well with Apple's iOS6. So I haven't used it since I got my new iPhone. I keep waiting for an update, but haven't seen one yet.

Basically, now, if you play music in between the story line (through the app) it doesn't recognize the end of songs appropriately. My "30 minute" workouts are over in 15 minutes (so it switches to radio Abel) and it plays the same song over and over and over.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm about half way through the story missions and LOVE this app. The downside is that it doesn't really monitor your runs/walk if you're working your way up to running. They have however just come out with a zombie 5k training app that's like a prequel to Zombies, Run! It sounds interesting and I might buy it once I finish my C25K app.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I really like it! However, it's currently not working well with Apple's iOS6. So I haven't used it since I got my new iPhone. I keep waiting for an update, but haven't seen one yet.

Basically, now, if you play music in between the story line (through the app) it doesn't recognize the end of songs appropriately. My "30 minute" workouts are over in 15 minutes (so it switches to radio Abel) and it plays the same song over and over and over.

well darn! I havent tried the app since I got my 5.

are you using iTunes or streaming when you noticed the problem?
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    We have a great group you can come hang with. I love the app. I use mine on the treadmill, with the iPhone and accelerometer they will chase you :) I trip over my shadow so running outside is a danger to myself LOL.

Come check it out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6558-zombies-run-group
  • omma_to_3
    Options

well darn! I havent tried the app since I got my 5.

are you using iTunes or streaming when you noticed the problem?

It's iTunes. This is the response I got from them, but I never had the iTunes app open so that wasn't the issue:

Thanks for your email! We are aware of some music playback issues with iOS6 and are working hard to fix them in a future update. In the meantime, we recommend closing the iPhone Music app from the multitasking bar and seeing if that helps fix anything.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I haven't tried it streaming in a while because my streaming wasn't working well for a while (I think weather related). But streaming has been working well lately, so maybe I need to try it again! I'm planning on running tomorrow so maybe I'll try it.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I was so busy trying to outrun a horde yesterday that I didn't notice I'd been listening to one song looping for almost 45 minutes. Good to know I'm not crazy.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I was so busy trying to outrun a horde yesterday that I didn't notice I'd been listening to one song looping for almost 45 minutes. Good to know I'm not crazy.

Hope it was a song you liked LOL. But no, you're not crazy. Normally, it waits until the end of the song to interrupt with the story line. Now, it interrupts mid-song and then when the story line is complete, it restarts the song. Over...and over...and over...because the time between story lines is greatly reduced for some reason.
  • hypotrochoid
    Options

Hope it was a song you liked LOL. But no, you're not crazy. Normally, it waits until the end of the song to interrupt with the story line. Now, it interrupts mid-song and then when the story line is complete, it restarts the song. Over...and over...and over...because the time between story lines is greatly reduced for some reason.

The beauty of electronica... it all sounds the same. :D

I'll have to pay more attention next time. Hopefully they get it fixed soon, that could get old. Plus they need to add more missions. I swear, if they leave it where they did and don't give us more I'm going to be horribly, horribly displeased.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We have a great group you can come hang with. I love the app. I use mine on the treadmill, with the iPhone and accelerometer they will chase you :) I trip over my shadow so running outside is a danger to myself LOL.

Come check it out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6558-zombies-run-group
    I can't run due to a bad ankle (injury years ago). I do, however, like the elliptical - though I'm needing some motivation to get myself consistently on it. Something fun like this might be just the ticket.

Has anybody tried it to see if it would be able to register motion on an elliptical?
    Thanks!
  • hypotrochoid
    Options

I can't run due to a bad ankle (injury years ago). I do, however, like the elliptical - though I'm needing some motivation to get myself consistently on it. Something fun like this might be just the ticket.

Has anybody tried it to see if it would be able to register motion on an elliptical?
    Thanks!

I doesn't need GPS to work, so you can just listen to it like a radio program. The only downside to that is no zombie chases.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

The beauty of electronica... it all sounds the same. :D

I'll have to pay more attention next time. Hopefully they get it fixed soon, that could get old. Plus they need to add more missions. I swear, if they leave it where they did and don't give us more I'm going to be horribly, horribly displeased.

I'm only half way through the regular missions. But that's why I quit doing it when the problems arose - I didn't want to waste it!
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I doesn't need GPS to work, so you can just listen to it like a radio program. The only downside to that is no zombie chases.

But... isn't that kind of like saying that the only downside to a car without wheels is that it won't go anywhere - but you can still enjoy the great air conditioning. It seems like the zombie chases are what would make it fun/motivating

Eight bucks seems kind of expensive for a radio program.

*sigh*
  • hypotrochoid
    Options

But... isn't that kind of like saying that the only downside to a car without wheels is that it won't go anywhere - but you can still enjoy the great air conditioning. It seems like the zombie chases are what would make it fun/motivating

*sigh*

Not necessarily true. The missions are interesting and listening to the story unfold is pretty darn awesome. They have a Zombie 5K app that is only 3.99, maybe look into that to see if you like it before laying out the $8? (Though seeing as audio books run anywhere from 12 + dollars, it's a bargain).
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options

*sigh*

I use mine with an arm band thingy and just use the accelerometer setting and I do get chases. I however have not tried it on the elliptical, but thinking of the dynamics of it, it should work. Here is the secret to being chased and not getting caught is to increase your speed/motion of your arm by 20%. So the faster you run/elliptical the faster your arm speed is and you shouldn't get caught. You can use it in your pocket but it's not as effective. So yes you will get zombie chases using it on the treadmill and potentially on the elliptical.
    I am currently visiting family in the US once I get back to the UK and get in the gym I will try it and see if it works if you want to hold off on buying it now.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

*sigh*

I use mine with an arm band thingy and just use the accelerometer setting and I do get chases. I however have not tried it on the elliptical, but thinking of the dynamics of it, it should work. Here is the secret to being chased and not getting caught is to increase your speed/motion of your arm by 20%. So the faster you run/elliptical the faster your arm speed is and you shouldn't get caught. You can use it in your pocket but it's not as effective. So yes you will get zombie chases using it on the treadmill and potentially on the elliptical.
    I am currently visiting family in the US once I get back to the UK and get in the gym I will try it and see if it works if you want to hold off on buying it now.

OK, I'll pump my arms harder next time LOL. I usually get eaten LOL