Vitamin D

Options
I've just been told that with my last lot of blood results, I have a Vitamin D deficiency.

I know you get a lot of Vitamin D from the sun, but how would I go about introducing Vitamin D into my diet. I'm already on Forceval (a multi-vitamin) and calcichew tabs, as I've had anorexia in the past. I've been given some Vitamin D tablets now by my GP but I'd like to try and make sure it doesn't happen again as I know this can cause defects in your bones.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• xXxBlissxXx
    xXxBlissxXx Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    *bump* Anyone?
  • preaser
    preaser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been taking vitamin D supplement for a year now and I think I have more energy. Vitamin D is in milk, but I'm not sure what else. You can probably do a google search to find foods rich in Vitamin D.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I take the upper limit of 2000 IU per day. If you are deficient you may need more than that to start. I am not so that is what I take for maintenance.

Make sure to keep getting tested until you are not deficient. Vitamin D is cheap and its really hard to OD on.
  • xXxBlissxXx
    xXxBlissxXx Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ah ok, thanks! Will have to look into it a bit more then.
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am also Vitamin D deficient. Initally my doctor had me on prescription Vitamin D. Now he has me tke 2000 iu of over the counter pills a day. I was diagnosed a year ago. He will be re-testing me in 6 months. When he tested me recently he said that my numbers were coming up but were not fully there yet. He also said that with Vitamin D if you overtake there is a chance of toxicity, so I would make sure to talk to your doctor and make sure if you are going to take a Vitamin you take the proper amount and for the amount of time he/she suggests.
  • Lizsullie
    Lizsullie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi! You probably don't get too much vitamin D from the sun given that you live in England... (I'm from Ireland and have a similar problem). Probably best to take the supplements for now. Dairy products are often fortified with vitamin D so make sure you check the labels and pick ones that have added D. I think there's a Tropicana orange juice that's fortified too... if you're a juice drinker.

Good luck!
  • the7gerbers
    Options
    I take 10,000 a day and no problems. Vitamin D is SO important and the standard recommendations tend to be way too low. If you look at what your body would make in a half hour in the sun, it is wayyyy more than what we are being told to take. The connection between low vitamin D and a number of serious health issues is beginning to be well known. My doc says shes NEVER seen a sign of Vitamin D toxicity, even with folks supplementing at high amounts.

I live in Ohio, where we can't get any sun to make Vitamin D for much of the year. If I lived farther south, I probably would not take as much. Check out http://www.grassrootshealth.net/ for more information on D and disease prevention.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in April 2011 and my vitamin D was under 30. Today, it is over 70 and I feel better than I ever have, even before I was diagnosed. I hope this helps.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    One thing to make sure you are doing is getting enough dietary fat. Vitamin D is fat soluble so you MUST have enough fat in your diet order to absorb it properly.

My wife struggled with anorexia and bulimia as well and had a basic fear of fat (thinking that fat makes you fat) and never ate anything with fat in it. Now she eats a few tablespoons of peanut/almond butter a day and uses some olive oil in her cooking and it is helping her immensely. All her levels are testing well now.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I take 7,0000 IU's of vitamin D3 a day regardless if it's winter or summer. I just got my blood work done and my D levels were right where they should be.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me the only way to have adequate vitamin D levels is with supplementation. I have a prescription pill I take once a week. Even with taking that, my levels are just barely in the "acceptable" range, so I'll be taking that pill forever.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I take D3 every day because I'm a cube rat. As far as I know, my D levels are pretty good.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a vitamin D supplement (gummy chew) daily as well.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    The unfortunate thing is that Vitamin D is not available in many foods naturally, so taking a vitamin D supplement is probably your best bet.

Foods that have Vitamin D:
    Fatty fish (salmon, cod)
    organ meats
    enriched dairy products

get 10-15 minutes direct sunlight every day (without sunscreen) in order to help your body make its own supplies as well.

Be sure not to go crazy with the supplements, because as a fat soluable vitamin it is easy to overdose.
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    2,500iu every day here, regardless of whether I'm in the sun or not. I just take it in a supplement. They're tiny (smaller than half a 5 pence piece) and gel-encased. Easy to take.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What is with all these prescription Vitamin D supplements?? You can get it OTC. No RX needed. If you need a specific amount then you just take more pills.
  • LisaLouisiana
    LisaLouisiana Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't have a deficiency of vitamin D, but since it's so important I take a 1000 I.U. liquid gel each day. My husband also takes them. He had a long hospitalization for pneumonia that almost claimed his life, and needs it in his recovery. Now that he's regaining his healthy, we're outside more, but for a while there we were not getting any sun. I also learned what food sources were naturally high in D and we try to incorporate them into our diets. They are fish, with the best ones being salmon, tuna, and sole (flounder), fortified milk, pork, eggs, mushrooms, beef liver (which I cannot develop a taste for), and cheeses are good, too, but Ricotta cheese is one of the best.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    What is with all these prescription Vitamin D supplements?? You can get it OTC. No RX needed. If you need a specific amount then you just take more pills.

depending on what your blood levels are, you're right.HOWEVER, this is a supplement you've got to be careful with because it is stored in fat cells.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, supplements are not very well regulated so there is no guarantee that you are getting the dose advertised on the label. If someone has a diagnosed deficiency, they're better off with a prescription supplement so the level delivered is known.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The best natural food sources of vitamin D are fatty fish (salmon, swordfish, trout, halibut) but you'd have to eat a lot of it to reach the recommended daily amount. The sun is the best natural source, but that's not always easy to get especially in cold weather/climates. It is often added to milk since most people drink milk and milk has a high fat content. As was mentioned above you need fat to absorb vitamin D.

If you are not getting enough from the sun a supplement is your best bet.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I take prescription for a few reasons
    1. only take it once a week
    2. it's the dosage recommended by my doctor based on my lab results

But the ultimate reason - I do not pay for prescriptions on my insurance plan. Why would I want to pay for something over the counter when I can get it for free as a prescription???