TDEE/BMR vs. MFP calculator

Options
hello all!
So i have a question/confusion. MFP tells me i should eat 1200 (and obviously eat my exercise cals back) but my TDEE/BMR tell me otherwise. My BMR is BMR=1540 and my is TDEE-2387. So 30% of that would be 1671. That is a HUGE difference. I have not lost any weight for a very long time and I have been strict on it all. I'm thinking I should change my goal to 1600. any ideas? THANKS!

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The 1600 would include your exercise already, so the differences might not be that much.

However, with 20 pounds you want to lose a 30% deficit might be a bit much. Aim for 15-20% below instead. Or set your MFP goal to one pound a week, and eat most of your exercise calories, and as you get closer to your goal, switch it to a half pound a week.

And be sure to track your progress through more than just the scale. If that's a recent photo, I can't see where you could possibly take 20 pounds from... you look great! If you track measurements, how clothes fit and photos, you might find you reach your dream body long before you reach your goal weight.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I'll be the first to give you the only true sound advice that anyone can give you, everyones body is different, online TDEE/BMR and especially MFP calculations can be a vague and inaccurate, and you will probably never get a definitive answer on this forum. ever.

Go see a nutritionist. they will give you a solid plan that you know is healthy and its tailored for you.

1200 is ok for some (usually more petit women) but it can also lead to health problems in others. MFP may have also set you at 1200 because you set your weekly weight loss goal too high.

1600-1800 would be safer and better for you and much more sustainable.

BUT, like I said before its not going to get any clearer than this on here really. it never does.

so if you are looking for a definitive answer, NUTRITIONIST. also if you still think 1200, definitely nutritionist.

:)
  • nikilis
    Options
    The 1600 would include your exercise already, so the differences might not be that much.

However, with 20 pounds you want to lose a 30% deficit might be a bit much. Aim for 15-20% below instead. Or set your MFP goal to one pound a week, and eat most of your exercise calories, and as you get closer to your goal, switch it to a half pound a week.

And be sure to track your progress through more than just the scale. If that's a recent photo, I can't see where you could possibly take 20 pounds from... you look great! If you track measurements, how clothes fit and photos, you might find you reach your dream body long before you reach your goal weight.

this girl speaks the truth, and look at her results :) you look great!
  • merso001
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will try to up my cals a little and see how that goes and try to see a nutritionist as well!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Based on what you said, I'd put you at 2,000. That's a 15% deficit. I don't believe you are in any rush. Just slow and easy. Eating 2,000, you should lose and should not stall.

Everyone is not different. LOL. Everyone is the same. That's why modern medicine works. That's why pot makes everyone high, and alcohol makes everyone drunk. Everyone is the same. This 'everyone is different' crap is stupid. Don't buy into that myth. Eat at a deficit, and you will lose. It's that simple. While the TDEE estimate might be off a bit, it's not a big deal. Everything is off. Your scale is off, the calories on packages are off by at least 20% or more. Everything is just estimates. Just relaz and take it slow. If you eat at 2000 and dont lose any weight in a couple weeks, drop 100 calories, and try that. Keep making small adjustments until it starts working. It's really simple. Don't over complicate it.
  • nikilis
    Options
    Everyone is not different. LOL. Everyone is the same. That's why modern medicine works. That's why pot makes everyone high, and alcohol makes everyone drunk. Everyone is the same. This 'everyone is different' crap is stupid. Don't buy into that myth.

yah... we're all the same height and the same build and on the same medications with the same health concerns.

cause everyones allergic to penicillin, or peanuts, or anesthetic, or bees.

we all must have the same metabolism, speak the same language and are the same sex.

TELL THE UNITED NATIONS! WE ARE ALL ONE. IT WAS A MYTH.

dafuq5.jpg

Eat at a deficit, and you will lose. It's that simple.

everything after that is good advice, and you are right, for most people using TDEE / BMR online is fine. I just tell people to go to a nutritionist when people say "1200"
  • Rabbit914
    Rabbit914 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have the same question with the same issue. I've been eating 1200 for 5 weeks with a loss of only 2lbs and my tdee-20% is 1580 so i have upped my calories to 1500 and i'm gonna see how that goes. This is all confusing and conflicting to me so I should probably see a nutritionalist as well. It wasn't this hard packing on the lbs, wish it was easier taking them off. hehe
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would recommend upping it 200 calories for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference. If not up it by 200 again. I had the exact same problem and started upping my calories every few weeks until I reached 1800. At 1800 I started to lose again.
  • nikilis
    Options
    I have the same question with the same issue. I've been eating 1200 for 5 weeks with a loss of only 2lbs and my tdee-20% is 1580 so i have upped my calories to 1500 and i'm gonna see how that goes. This is all confusing and conflicting to me so I should probably see a nutritionalist as well. It wasn't this hard packing on the lbs, wish it was easier taking them off. hehe

I've been in the same position as you, and I've searched exhaustively for definitive information, asked on this forum and in the end it is a definitely worth seeing a nutritionist.

your 1500 plan sounds like a good idea tho :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Everyone is not different. LOL. Everyone is the same. That's why modern medicine works. That's why pot makes everyone high, and alcohol makes everyone drunk. Everyone is the same. This 'everyone is different' crap is stupid. Don't buy into that myth.

yah... we're all the same height and the same build and on the same medications with the same health concerns.

we all must have the same metabolism, speak the same language and are the same sex.

dafuq5.jpg

everything after that is good advice, and you are right, for most people using TDEE / BMR online is fine. I just tell people to go to a nutritionist when people say "1200"

Since you don't understand, there's no point discussing it. Everyone is not different. Yes, some people have some unique issues that are different from the mean. But most people are the same. Its just a fact. Physics and biochemistry prove it over and over.

I know you are passionate and think you are right, so I'm not going to sit here and debate. You're not right. Everyone, meaning the majority of people are pretty much exactly the same in terms of what we are talking about...eating less than you burn.
  • nikilis
    Options

dafuq5.jpg

Since you don't understand, there's no point discussing it. Everyone is not different. Yes, some people have some unique issues that are different from the mean. But most people are the same. Its just a fact. Physics and biochemistry prove it over and over.

I know you are passionate and think you are right, so I'm not going to sit here and debate. You're not right. Everyone, meaning the majority of people are pretty much exactly the same in terms of what we are talking about...eating less than you burn.

After I replied I thought "actually everyone is not vastly different, the vast majority are similar and and most are close enough to call the same"

hats off to you good sir/madam :glasses:
  • merso001
    Options
    ALSO! one more question, hehe.
    If i up my cals to 1500-1600 do I still eat back my workout calories or is that already calculated in? When I entered my info in i said i was moderately(lightly) active. I exercise every day though but didnt want to say I was very active since I am a student and do spend time sitting! thanks again guys (:
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have the same questions..
    When your eating between BMR & TDEE or TDEE - 15% (for example).. should you still log exercise and eat those calories back or its all part of the intial calories?
  • merso001
    Options
    annyonnne?!
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    No, in theory, at least, your exercise is figured in, but if you put in fewer days than you actually exercise, then your TDEE will be low. I actually average mine between moderately and very active (I work out 5 or 6 days a week and walk around a lot at work). So why not figure TDEE at both and give yourself somewhere in between the two.