Language Please

Options

Replies

• jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It is odd, I am from the east coast of Scotland and a lot of the words I used were just not understood by people down in England. Here is just a few that they had issues with. I would tend to not know why they were having such a problem understanding me.

sweetie = candy (fairly self explanitory)
    messages = groceries
    scaffy = person who picks up the bins
    fish supper = fish and chips
    clegg = horse fly
    burn = stream
    chuckie = pebble
    workie = builder
    clype = telltale
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I'm from south africa and i've picked up a few chatting to americans on here

SA - US
    bonnet - hood
    Boot - trunk
    biscuits - cookies
    scones - biscuit

Even though we are all speaking English i often need a translator!
  • k2charmed4u
    Options
    "stones" instead of lbs or kg

1 stone is 16 lbs. Just one of the insane and random measurements that we Brits use.

One I learnt recently is that some South Africans call traffic lights 'red robots'.

In the UK 1 stone = 14 lbs
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    actually, i didn't know that elevator was one of them. i assumed that was just b/c that's what it does.

the one i don't get is "Lollypop man" for crossing gaurd. makes me do the quizical head tilt every time.

I've never heard that! Maybe they used to give lollypops to the kids?

I didn't know about elevator, either, until I read that article.

Noooooo.....They don't give sweets to kids......The poles they carry with a sign on top look like lollypops!!!
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything off the top of my head... but, there are many different words that people use for different things. I like seeing the differences though. This should be a fun thread.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    actually, i didn't know that elevator was one of them. i assumed that was just b/c that's what it does.

the one i don't get is "Lollypop man" for crossing gaurd. makes me do the quizical head tilt every time.

I've never heard that! Maybe they used to give lollypops to the kids?

I didn't know about elevator, either, until I read that article.

Because the long stick with a circular sign on the end looks like a lollypop!! haha I'm sure someone more technical than me could find a picture and post it...
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The crossing sign he carries looks like a giant lollipop, wish they did give out sweeties!
  • DollyPocket
    DollyPocket Posts: 33 Member
    Options

1 stone is 16 lbs. Just one of the insane and random measurements that we Brits use.

One I learnt recently is that some South Africans call traffic lights 'red robots'.

1 stone is 14lbs where I live in GB
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Options

hahha that we do! confuses the hell out of foreigners especially when giving directions "turn left at the 2nd robot" :noway:
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Options
    It is odd, I am from the east coast of Scotland and a lot of the words I used were just not understood by people down in England. Here is just a few that they had issues with. I would tend to not know why they were having such a problem understanding me.

messages = groceries
    clegg = horse fly
    burn = stream
    chuckie = pebble
    workie = builder
    clype = telltale

I;d have a problem deciphering this too - never mind the accent! :happy:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the elevator one, and a quick Google seems to back me up here.

There was the Otis family of engineers, who did make elevators, and so one can talk about an "Otis Elevator", but the name comes from the word "elevate" meaning to lift.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    not only is it confusing between countries but I live in England, in the midlands... i went to uni up North and dated a northerner for a while (3 years) so many heated discussions were had over what to call things...

Cupcake he called a bun, id eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, he'd have breakfast, dinner, tea... tea to me is a drink.

and complete mental block! there are loads of them...
  • jeffryjirraf
    jeffryjirraf Posts: 179 Member
    Options

messages = groceries
    clegg = horse fly
    burn = stream
    chuckie = pebble
    workie = builder
    clype = telltale

I;d have a problem deciphering this too - never mind the accent! :happy:

haha my accent isn't actually that strong. You can tell I am scottish, but I will explain things that people don't understand. Even if I don't understand why you don't understand.
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I get funny looks at work when I ask for the gully! Its a big sharp kitchen knife, apparently its something that miners used to say (my grandad was a miner) so its come down the generations!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the elevator one, and a quick Google seems to back me up here.

Well, then, I guess the journalist who wrote the article for a respected newspaper wire service lied. *shrug*
    Apart from in the United States, an elevator is known as a lift. The term "elevator" is actually the brand name of a lift by a company within the United States. The company was so successful and installed them in so many places, that people started to refer to lifts as elevators. This in turn caused the company to lose its "Elevator" trademark and it became the common name in the United States for a lift.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior:How_Things_Work/Elevator
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My family has always called the TV remote a "clicker". I was shocked when someone was confused about what I was asking for.

My folks used to call it that too! My SIL started the term "Hankydank" for the remote. I have no idea why but I think it's along the lines of thingamajig or whatchamacallit. I
  • samlankford
    Options
    lol took me a good few days to realize that people meant when they asked me "do yo have a *kitten*" when I was over in london (totally unrelated I know)... still don't get why they call smokes *kitten* though? anyone know?
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I think the spelling differences are more interesting.

curb vs. kerb
    tire vs. tyre
    misspelled vs. misspelt
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I use Brekky for breakfast - since I used to live in the UK

Australia has a lot of words that were new to me when I started having to read Aussie news articles. (my definitions my not be quite correct)

compo - work related employee compensation
    hoon - racing around in a car in a dangerous way
    yobbo - unsavoury person (UK also)
    Fair dinkum - the real thing
    digger - soldier
    jumper - sweater (UK also)
    never never - in the wilderness (outback)
    tucker - food (in the UK tuck)
    singlet - T-shirt
    sheila - girl
    bikkie - biscuit->cookie
    pokie - poker gambling machine
  • DollyPocket
    DollyPocket Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I live in England and last year me and my friend went to America. We were in a shopping centre and my friend asked a sales helper 'were the loos where'. she was met with a blank look so she then translated that 'wheres the loo' meant 'wheres the toilet'. later we found out it was rude to you the word toilet and that you should ask for the 'bathroom' even if your just going for a pee and not a bath! seems very strange to me! I hope we didnt deeply offend the poor girl!! haha