Dear Fellow 5 AM Runner....

Options
Since it's pitch black out and there are cars going by, please make SOME kind of noise as you're coming up behind me so that you don't scare the **** out of me and I can keep my heart in my chest, where it belongs, instead of my throat!

A nice "Hello" or "Good Morning" would be MORE than sufficient!

Thank you!

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm envious that you're able to get up for a 5am run :) But even my 6:30am runs are mostly dark and I totally get what you're saying. I try to make sure I'm at least breathing hard or something when I go by someone else, and I'll say "good morning!" if they don't look like they're entranced in their music (in which case I'll smile and give a little nod)

What bothers me more is when someone is out walking their dog and the leash is acting like a trip wire across my path. Do you think you could please not do that?
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Or even a "left" or a cough...
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Runners I can hear... its the people on the bikes that scare the *kitten* out of me!!!!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Since I usually take a dog with me, I notice most other runners cross the street as they pass me. Lol! He's not even scary looking!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    you would think you would see their headlamp coming ?? Do people actually run on the roads in the dark without a headlamp or flashlight ???
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    you would think you would see their headlamp coming ?? Do people actually run on the roads in the dark without a headlamp or flashlight ???

Can't see the light when they're coming up behind me! I'm typically looking forward when I run! :wink:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

Yes, your eyes will adjust after 10 minutes. Also, make sure you go over your path in the daylight.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

I don't run with a light. But when running in the dark I always run the same streets, so I know the holes, curbs, dogs, etc. I run by one house that makes bacon in the morning, ohhhh that is a yummy smell!
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    That's why "on your left" should be used more often.
  • mnstrpc
    mnstrpc Posts: 109
    Options

Yup. :) Mostly on the road back in my subdivision, and then on the sidewalk out by the busier road, but I run in the dark without a light. Just reflective vest so cars can see me.

I'll tell y'all what bug the cr@p out of me, though. It seems like every freaking car on the road in my area has their brights on ALL THE TIME. I dunno, maybe I just have good eyesight, but I only flip to my brights when driving when there's low visibility or if I'm on an especially dark / twisty road that I don't know well. This is a subdivision laid out on a grid and then a very straight road, with streetlights. Does everyone just drive around with their brights on all the time these days?? It can be really blinding to me when I'm running; I look down and away from the car, but some of them are still so bright that I have to slow down or stop running until the car passes because I can't see the sidewalk well enough to avoid cracks / tripping.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have another request-PLEASE don't wear BLACK! I can't tell you how many times I have almost HIT that runner, running down the middle of road (where there ARE sidewalks) at 5 am on my way to work. If all you have is black-at least make sure there is reflector tape on you somewhere or get an orange vest (I REALLY appreciate THAT guy!)
    As a fellow runner-I can appreciate that you want to get that run in whenever you can, just please be safe!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Since I usually take a dog with me, I notice most other runners cross the street as they pass me. Lol! He's not even scary looking!
    A few times I've been out running with my dog (Rottweiler/St Bernard Cross, 47kg) and a friend's American Akita (54kg, though a little smaller apart from bulk) - see people diving cover, especially when going though the more predominately Asian areas of town.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    hummm weird, I can see fellow runners coming up behind me.... their lamp lights up the area.... maybe we all just have big lamps out in the country haha....
  • Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    One early morning I was slowly catching up on a female runner on a long road. Didn't want to scare her, so I started quietly singing to my music. Serial killers don't sing right? she's got to know im not a creep now.
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm a slow runner so this happens to me ALL. THE. TIME. But like someone said, bikes are the worst. Especially because, as I am running on the sidewalk, they are supposed to be in the street. dafuq.
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    One early morning I was slowly catching up on a female runner on a long road. Didn't want to scare her, so I started quietly singing to my music. Serial killers don't sing right? she's got to know im not a creep now.

I always find it interesting what guys do to show women they aren't scary--I had a long convo with the boyfriend once about what he was supposed to do when approaching a woman on a dark street in his hoodie. He's over six foot tall and burly and I don't find him scary but I could see why it would happen. And once a guy was walking an awkwardly close number of paces behind me and he just shouted out "I'm crossing the street so you don't think I'm following you!" and I was like "thanks dude!"

It's just something that, as a girl, never really occurred to me that guys would actually be worried about. And I do appreciate it. :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'll tell y'all what bug the cr@p out of me, though. It seems like every freaking car on the road in my area has their brights on ALL THE TIME.

Oh yeah, definitely. It's not every car, but I swear some drivers think that since it's dark out, their normal headlights aren't enough. Yes, thanks, I run in the dark because I enjoy being blinded

PS: I'm not going running any earlier (read: darker) before my reflective vest comes in :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have another request-PLEASE don't wear BLACK! I can't tell you how many times I have almost HIT that runner, running down the middle of road (where there ARE sidewalks) at 5 am on my way to work. If all you have is black-at least make sure there is reflector tape on you somewhere or get an orange vest (I REALLY appreciate THAT guy!)
    As a fellow runner-I can appreciate that you want to get that run in whenever you can, just please be safe!

That's another thing...why in the HE-double hockey sticks would you be running IN THE DARK with dark clothes on AND not light?? I run with darker pants, but always have a light shirt AND a reflective vest. Plus I wear a finger flashlight (my blinker stopped working). I saw someone running on the other side of the street (not until I was almost on top of them though) with black pants, green shirt and a black zip-up hoodie. Yeah...that green shirt isn't exactly visible when it's all covered up!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have been both the scarer and scaree. I will start saying "on your left" I think, although people could be saying that to me and I wouldn't hear them since I have my headphones on. Side note, I almost got plowed by a kid on a bike this morning, he didn't see me at all, wasn't even looking around, I had to jump off the path to avoid being hit. And yesterday I stepped on a frog. It was gross. The joys of running at 5 am!!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am not brave enough to run at night. Just the thought of it terrifies especially running in the forest preserve in the pitch black. No thank you. I'll wait until daylight.