SOOOOoooooo true!!!
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    bump
  • mreuvers
    mreuvers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I've only been at it for 3 weeks but was a bit worried when I occasionally gained .5 pounds or stayed the same. It make much more sense now and I won't let it get me down.
  • awerewka
    awerewka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    :) thanks for the reminder
  • Slove009
    Slove009 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is feeling discouraged should read this post! Very motivational! Thanks!
  • DesignGrrl
    DesignGrrl Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    So needed this post! My weight's been all over the place since I started C25k but overall still down. Gotta trust the process. Thanks!
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Completely agree. Check out mine. I have been losing on average 1kg per week since 1st jan but some weeks that is 1.5kg some only 0.3kg (this week! Grrr!)

1e2khx.jpg

This is also a reason why I recommend weighing in every day. You will quickly learn it is not linear and understand how your body reacts to your diet/exercise/TOTM (for the ladies). Will help you make right choices.

Good reminder OP, thanks! and THIS^^ is exactly why i weigh myself daily, i've learned how my body reacts to everything now plus it keeps me accountable :bigsmile:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Funny that you fit a straight line to it, rather than an asymptotic curve which is what non-linear weight loss usually means.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I don't have a chart but that is how it worked for me too! :) Thanks for sharing this. Many people need to know this.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I've wanted to do the same thing but was too lazy! Did you eye-ball that line or was it an algorithm? I'm an engineer and even though the weight loss is not falling directly on the line, since a straight line fits the points, it could be argued that weight loss *is* linear. But that's just the geek in me.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this,especially before the weekend. I have been fighting the same 3 lbs. for a month now and know I have been working hard! This was such a great help.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    weight_zps93f29003.png
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love charts! You've inspired me to post mine tonight!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thx so much.. it is members like yourself who take the time to encourage others like us. This can be very discouraging to the point I dread going to the scales to avaoid frustration and disappointment.Im 62 and struggling and on the verge of saying whats the use. Its comments like yours that just make us want to drive on for another week.

I had this moment yesterday and I completely agree. Also, good for you for taking charge of your heath and losing so much weight at 62. You are an inspiration to me and I am sure other members by showing that people of all ages can get healthy and lose weight. Please don't give up/
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that this website has an excellent tool for tracking weight loss over time and trends. It's been pretty accurate for me to help me determine what my TDEE is compared to the calculators.

The more often you weigh yourself, the more accurate the trend tool will be, so for those who weigh daily this is a real great tool.

https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet

You have to create an account but it's free.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yes; this is so true. Sometimes what you see on the scales makes no sense at all. In the past on WW, I'd have a perfect week as far as calories and exercise, and my weight would be up. Another time I'd have a crappy week of too many calories and/or no exercise, and my weight would be down. I know it's the perfect weeks that lead to the weight would be down part, but it can take awhile for efforts to show up. That's why I am deemphasizing the scales by weighing seldome and focusing on doing the right things - tracking calories and exercising.
  • moraldd
    moraldd Posts: 99
    Options
    Great post. Thanks. :happy:
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Great post!!
  • kttaylor
    Options
    I think this is an excellent reminder of the process and the overall journey not the stops along the way.
  • veschrim
    veschrim Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You dont even know how much I needed this post!!!!!
    Seriously im fighting tears.
    Thank you thank you thank you!
    I thought something was wrong with me.
    You're a motivation saver. ;)