What is the thing that made you say enough?

Options
For me it was a couple weeks ago when I was at the store with my skinny pretty friend and here I was in my tshirt and yoga pants with no makeup on hair all effed up and an old lady stopped me to say that my "daughter" had pretty hair. My friend is 27, 2 years older than me! It really upset me...because I don't recognize myself in the mirror anymore and I really have aged so much in the last 5 years even!

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with acid reflux. It seems like a small thing, but my doctor told me I could either make dietary changes or take Nexium. It seemed ridiculous to take medicine for something that I could fix myself. And at 41 years old and 338, I knew that it was only a matter of time before I was on medicine for diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. So I decided it was time to take control of my health.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    When my most forgiving jammies got too tight.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    when i turned 40!
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    When my thighs started to clap as I ran up/down my stairs. Yeah, I said it.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It was when my daugher (2 at the time) said, "mommy when I grow up, I want to be fat like you". : ( Ummmm...no you don't.
  • LosingWeight64
    Options
    when i looked at the picture i have on my profile.. i knew i was big, but dayuhmmmm i didnt realize i was so roly poly
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This picture-
    29386022_4641.jpg
    That hiking trip with my 3 oldest girls is one of my fondest memories and I love the picture of them with their packs on but I hate my belly. I never thought of myself as fat until then even 6 months before that when my health insurance evaluation told me I was borderline obese based on my BMI.

It still took me almost a year and another 10lbs gained before I started to do something about it.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When my "fat" clothes were too tight. Also, I got a good look at my reflection as I passed a store window in the mall.
  • ariesmom07
    ariesmom07 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It was when my daugher (2 at the time) said, "mommy when I grow up, I want to be fat like you". : ( Ummmm...no you don't.
    My son is 4 and told me he wants to be big like me and holds his arms out...I was like no way dude! also the other day my husband was holding our daughter (3 months) talking to her and she had just finished eating and he said "who's a fatty???" and my son pipes up from his room "MOM IS!!!!" SMH I was like I have got to lose weight or I will be the mom his friends make fun of at school :/
  • wakechick25
    Options
    When I saw a very unflattering picture of myself. I realized I had gained weight but I didn't realize where it had all gone till I saw that picture.
  • ariesmom07
    Options
    when i looked at the picture i have on my profile.. i knew i was big, but dayuhmmmm i didnt realize i was so roly poly
    I haven't allowed any one to snap a picture of me full body for over 6 years and even then I hated it. I just didn't want to see it because I knew it would depress me!
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    About 2 years ago, I had my cholesterol checked. It was sky-high, like "you're going to die soon" high, like "you need medication" high, like "these numbers MUST be wrong they are SO high" high. I was 36. My kids were 4 & 1 at the time. I had just lost a very dear childhood friend (different health issues) who left behind her husband and 2 kids the same age as mine, and it all just really scared me. I tried to get things under control for about a year with very little success except for putting some good habits in place (eating better, exercise, etc). Then I discovered MFP and it was the key I was looking for. YAY!! MFP saved my life.
  • ariesmom07
    Options
    This picture-
    29386022_4641.jpg
    That hiking trip with my 3 oldest girls is one of my fondest memories and I love the picture of them with their packs on but I hate my belly. I never thought of myself as fat until then even 6 months before that when my health insurance evaluation told me I was borderline obese based on my BMI.

It still took me almost a year and another 10lbs gained before I started to do something about it.
    I feel you...I've been complaining about my weight for years ever since I began to gain it..but did nothing if anything I ate worse...I just had a baby 3 months ago at my highest weight ever and that pregnancy was soooo so painful on my body because of my extra weight! So glad to be making a change instead of just wishing I could/would.
  • kothomefries
    Options
    My son was born, high BP and having an anxiety attack that ended me up in the ER.
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Unflattering vacation pics. Having people around me constantly saying "you're not that big" or "you don't need to lose weight," and my favorite, "you don't look like you weight that much." I believed it. And then the shirts started getting tight. And then...those vacation photos. **shudders**

But 22lbs down (started before I joined MFP), here I am. Ready to get to my goal! WHOOOO! :bigsmile:
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    when i turned 40!

^^^^^ this
  • purplepeonypanda
    Options
    My most frightening moment was in January 2011. I went into a cardiac arrhythmia and somehow managed to drive myself to the hospital. When I got there my pulse was going from 240 to 280 beats per minute. Everyone thought it was some kind of miracle that I managed to drive in that condition.

I was hooked up to machines and defibrillator pads were placed on my chest, just in case. I was shot up with a drug that can cause cardiac arrest.

I'd like to point out, my heart condition wasn't caused by being obese.Most of my issues aren't directly caused by obesity. But I can't imagine obesity can help. I realized my own mortality, and that life is fragile. I don't want to waste what little life I have, fat.

I immediately lost 40 pounds after that and have been stuck in the 260's since.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    when i turned 40!

I will be 40 in 6 weeks! Huge wake up call for me!
  • tlo23
    tlo23 Posts: 68
    Options
    When I saw a pic at that time of myself and my fat clothes were getting too small. Not to mention when I realized I was on the fast track to 300 lbs! What really made me take notice was when my husband said in a very kind way if I was going to get back to exercising six months after I had bunion surgery. It worked!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    A terrible end to an even worse relationship that stifled my ability to do anything for myself. Still hurts, but I'm getting back to me...and to my skinny jeans.