Almond milk

Options
13»

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I've been debating switching to something other than cow's milk - purely for the sugar/sodium cut. Regular milk has too much sugar in it but I am worried about the 'shelf life' of the alternatives. Do you store it in the fridge? How long does it keep?

Thanks so much for all the answers ;)
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Almond milk rocks! I use either the plain unsweetened or Vanilla unsweetened when I can find it. I'm not one to drink it straight unless I mix a little chocolate syrup in there and then YUM :happy: I use it on my oatmeal daily, I use it when I make mashed potatoes, I use it when I make cook and serve sugar free pudding (doesn't work with the instant)...I'm not sure there isn't much I don't use it in LOL
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Both Blue Diamond Almond Breeze and Silk Purealmond are great. Don't buy the So Delicious brand almond milk with extra protein - it's ghastly.

Unopened half-gallons of almond milk last for ages; the ones I'm buying now have expiration dates in December. I stock up when it goes on sale or if I have coupons - I'll often buy 6 or 8 cartons at a time, as much as my fridge will hold! They also sell it in Tetra-pak quarts that can be stored in the pantry before they are opened.

Once the carton is opened it will last for at least a week in your fridge.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a question about almond milk... What is the difference between the stuff in the refrigerator section by the regular milk and the stuff that is just on the shelf at room temperature? I've always gotten mine from the refrigerator section and never taken the time to try to figure out the difference.
  • lucindasun
    Options
    Both Blue Diamond Almond Breeze and Silk Purealmond are great. Don't buy the So Delicious brand almond milk with extra protein - it's ghastly.

Unopened half-gallons of almond milk last for ages; the ones I'm buying now have expiration dates in December. I stock up when it goes on sale or if I have coupons - I'll often buy 6 or 8 cartons at a time, as much as my fridge will hold! They also sell it in Tetra-pak quarts that can be stored in the pantry before they are opened.

Once the carton is opened it will last for at least a week in your fridge.

I love the Blue Diamond unsweetened as well, drink it straight or in shakes and cook with it like milk , no one notices I even warm it up with a dash of cinnamon for a bedtime treat
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I drink the Blue Diamond unsweetened almond milk. I decided to try it to cut calories (30 cals per cup vs 122 cals per cup of 2%), but also because the older I get, the more intolerant of lactose I become. (thanks, Dad!) I don't drink it plain, though the taste isn't bad at all, but use it in my cereal and protein mixes.
    It is also really easy to make! I love, love, love it!
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Acually, the unsweetened ones as you say no flavor, have plenty of flavor. I use it for cereal and generally neaver add sweetner, sometimes agave depending upon the cereal shoice. I was one to never drink milk straight up so I don't. try the 35 calorie or 40 calorie variety, you may like it! Add me as a friend if you'd like! God bless!
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    sorry for the finger farts! LOL
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened original in all my protein drinks/smoothies, cereal, and drink it straight. I like the taste but husband and son don't. I used to buy the original or vanilla, but not wanting the calories, switched to Silk unsweetened 30 calories. I heard a few on here say they use unsweetened vanilla. What brand makes that? I've never seen unsweetened vanilla.

Blue diamond. I lovr their unsweet vanilla.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I like hemp milk and coconut milk a LOT better.
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I must be one of the odd ones who don't really care for almond milk. I got some and got through the container, giving it a fair chance. It just never grew on me I guess.
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I drink Almond milk and Coconut milk both varieties sweetened and unsweetened. But I have found the perfect blend for us "Blue Diamond Breeze Almondmilk Coconutmilk Blend".

For those who don't like the almond milk give the coconut a try................
  • scarletgenesis
    Options
    I really like almond milk, as it's much creamier than a lot of the non-dairy milks I've tried. Not giving up milk totally, but want to be careful about what kinds I do drink.