Pumpkin?

Options

Replies

• ElinaCarroll
    Options
    Here is a healthy recipe I found that I am trying next week :)

Individual baked pumpkin custards

450 g Pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks

Custard Seasonings
    4 medium Egg, Whole
    4 individual Egg White
    120 ml Milk, Skimmed
    130 ml Milk, Evaporated, low fat
    2 teaspoons (level) Vanilla Extract
    2 teaspoons Artificial Sweetener
    1 teaspoons Cinnamon, ground

Topping
    450 g Yogurt, Greek, 0% Fat
    2 teaspoons Artificial Sweetener, powdered
    1/2 teaspoons (level) Vanilla Extract
    1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon, ground
    1/2 teaspoons (level) Nutmeg, Ground
    1/2 teaspoons (level) Cloves, Whole or Ground
    Instructions

Preheat oven to Gas Mark 3/170ºC/325ºF.

Put the chopped pumpkin in a saucepan and add 150ml water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 mins or until tender. Drain thoroughly, return to the pan and use a hand blender to blend until smooth. Alternatively blend in a food processor or liquidiser.

To make custard, spoon pumpkin into a large bowl; whisk in custard seasonings.

Place eight ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet; fill each ramekin about 3/4 full with custard. Bake for 20 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a knife in centre of a custard — if it comes out clean, custards are finished. If not, bake for 5 minutes more and check for donesness again; repeat until cooked through. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.

Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients in a medium bowl; mix well and set aside.

When custards are cool, top each with yogurt mixture and serve.

Notes

You can make the custards one day in advance and store them in the refrigerator. Top with yogurt mixture just before serving.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I know October is all festive with the pumpkin carving, halloween decorating and trick or treating but does anyone have any yummy food or sweets recipes that aren't too unhealthy? I've never eaten anything pumpkin and now that October is here I wanted to try some so unhealthy doesn't mean bad in this case. lol. Thanks everyone!

Sometimes I love just steaming it and mashing it with a fork, adding some sugar free maple syrup (or real maple syrup if you have room for the calories in your calorie budget!), a dab of butter (or butter spuds), some pumpkin pie spice, maybe a dash of almond milk, coconut milk, or coconut water.

My friend and I came up with this because she is allergic to gluten. Oh my gosh it's yummy. The trick is to only eat one slice!!!! So hard to not eat the whole thing!

Pumpkin Pie 2012
    Ingredients:
    1 x 227g (1/2 lb) packet Mi-del GF Gingersnap cookies
    1.5 to 2 TBSP butter
    1/2 cup stevia in the raw
    1/4 cup Joseph's SF maple syrup
    1-2 tsp pie spice (depends on how you like it)
    pinch of salt
    1 x 15 oz / 400g tin pumpkin puree
    3/4 x 12 oz / 400g tin of reduced / low / zero fat evaporated milk
    2 eggs

Directions:
    Preheat over to 325F / 160C. Process cookies to crumbs, melt butter and mix together. Press into a 9 inch pie dish. Bake for 5-7 mins and the cool for about 15 mins.

Meanwhile in one small bowl mix sugar, spice and salt. In another bigger bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add sugar mix, pumpkin and syrup to eggs and mix well. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie crust. Bake in a 350F / 180C oven for about 40 mins.....or until set.

pie: 210 calories (1/8 of pie)

Full leaded gingersnap version (1/8 of pie): 315 cals (real sugar and full fat evap milk)

Normal pumpkin pie (1/8 of pie): 490 calories (rich shortcrust pastry)
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just roasted pumpkin in the oven, I used pumpkin, acorn squash & sweet potato, chopped them up, added 1 tbsp olive oil and some oregano, mixed it about and roasted it for 45 mins at 200 C. You could add garlic, sprinkle with spices, anything really. It's pretty healthy. Came out at 175 Kcal per portion.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Angel Food Cake

1 (18.25 ounce) package angel food cake mix
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1. Combine pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, and mix well. Set aside.
    2. Mix cake as directed on package. Fold in pumpkin mixture. Pour into an ungreased tube pan.
    3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until lightly browned, using the box directions as a guide to cooking time.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins

1 20oz can of pumpkin (or 20 oz of pureed pumpkin...blenders are wonderful for that)
    I box of cake mix
    1/4 cup milk if needed.

Follow the baking directions on the cake mix
    no oil, no eggs. Simple...Healthy-ish
  • daniellealys
    daniellealys Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I use pumpkin all the time in baking and even cooking. We are a gluten, wheat, dairy and egg free family so its great for allergy free stuff. Most people have covered some of my favorites but I thought I would mix it up and share an amazing pumpkin spiced latte recipe:

ingredients
    1 serving of any ground coffee beans
    1tblsp of pumpkin spice
    1/4 cup of coconut milk (or other preferred milk)
    Optional:
    you can add a light whipped cream to the top but I dont do dairy so I dont do this. and this will add calories/sugar to this

put pumpkin spice in the coffee beans and brew. add brewed coffee to cup and add coconut milk. Add optional whipped cream if desired and sprinkle with more pumpkin spice.

Without whipped cream your total calories = 25!!! AMAZING for such a divine treat!

This is amazing stats compared to starbucks pumpkin spice latte which equals over 300 calories.
  • eileen673
    eileen673 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    I didn't expect to come back to so many comments! Thanks everyone, I will deffinatly be trying some of these !
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You'll have to find the healthy substitutes but I love this recipe for a warm tasty dessert:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/classic_baked_acorn_squash/

The cook time is exactly the same, just use a pie pumpkin instead.

1 Acorn squash
    1 Tbsp Butter (I used margarine and it was fine)
    2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    2 teaspoons Maple Syrup (can be sugar free)
    Dash of Salt

With the no-substitutions ingredients this comes out to about 250 for half the squash. So, I'd imagine it only gets better if you substitute lower cal options.
  • baliji1
    Options
    Pumpkin Angel Food Cake. Easy. I need more recipes like this. Easy and fast.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    someone on another post turned me onto this:

Pumpkin Cheesecake pudding

1/2 can pumpkin puree
    1 cup almond milk
    pumpkin pie spice, to taste
    1 pkg sugar-free fat-free cheesecake pudding mix
  • CraigG75
    CraigG75 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I wish I liked Pumpkin. I love the sweet potato this time of the year.
  • nils27
    nils27 Posts: 13
    Options
    My daughter made me this. It was really good. A great treat. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I take a standard pumpkin pie recipe, use splenda rather than sugar and fat free condensed milk, pour into a pie pan without a crust, bake per directions and have "pumpkin souffle" (don't eat pie crusts on pies, except apple, so why waste the time/$ on one? Also, no worries about the crust getting soggy after a day or so)

I also use my mother's pumpkin pie recipe, substitute Splenda for the sugar, 1% milk for the whole milk hers calls for and pour the mixture into glass custard cups. After I bake it, I put plastic wrap on all the little pumpkin custards and store them in the refrigerator. I have the best evening snack ever with a bit of Cool Whip Lite.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Simple recipes. Roast veg including pumpkin seasoned with fresh roasemary. Other veg i cook are carrot sweet potato mushroom and eggplant. See jaimie olivers website if u dont know how to cook this.
    Roast pumpkin tossed in lettuce with feta cheese and walnuts or pine nuts. Add whatever salad items u wish esp green ones. For some reson i hace never seen aussies include tomato in this dish. Can omit nuts if u are worried about their calories.
  • bpreteroti
    Options
    bump
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I found a fairly simple pumpkin muffin recipe and it's only about 100 calories per muffin, the webiste said more like 97 or 98 but it depends on the number of muffins you make per batch and the type of cake batter you use. You use a box of cake mix, the recipe called for yellow but I prefer to use a spice cake mix to give it a better flavor, and one 15 oz. can of pure pumpkin. Mix together (Note: that this a very thick batter, but think of the calories you can lose by mixing by hand :happy: )and bake at the required temp for the cake mix. I added a little vanilla and some cinnamon to mine and I think in the next back I'm going to add crushed pumpkin seeds to the top as a crust, kind of like the pumpkin bread at starbucks.

19236416.png

These are delicious! Works good w/ devil's food cake mix, too.
  • Crystler
    Options
    Hello, you can make Pumpkin and patat flapjacks with powder sugar. Look it up. It's delicious.
  • lilkayaker
    lilkayaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins

1 20oz can of pumpkin (or 20 oz of pureed pumpkin...blenders are wonderful for that)
    I box of cake mix
    1/4 cup milk if needed.

Follow the baking directions on the cake mix
    no oil, no eggs. Simple...Healthy-ish

I do this but don't add the milk and I usually use a spice cake mix. I usually make it in a loaf pan!! Yummy