Stretch Marks - WHILE LOOSING WEIGHT HELP

Options
I noticed I am getting stretch marks during my weight loss. Is there something you guys do to avoid it. I notice it on my stomach and my sides. Any tips would be great. THANKS! #iwantowearabikini

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I think the stretch marks came while you were gaining weight.
    Now that your skin isn't so stretched, you can see them.

If they don't go too deep, they will fade with time (but probably not completely).
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Rub in cocoa butter or really any lotion several times a day. It can help them fade... Good luck!
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I think the stretch marks came while you were gaining weight.
    Now that your skin isn't so stretched, you can see them.

If they don't go too deep, they will fade with time (but probably not completely).

She's actually correct.....i've heard about some creams that usually reduce the appreance of them....not sure what can be done physically.
  • Brooklyngurl3
    Brooklyngurl3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The stars(celbs) use this thing called carboxtherapy. It is very expensive though. Anybody ever hear about it.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    The only thing I've heard of is cocoa butter, and you have to apply it religiously or it won't work. But I have not had experience with anything that works :( I hate that my stomach already looks like I"ve had kids when I haven't. Major suckage.
  • Brooklyngurl3
    Options
    I am with you on that one.
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I noticed mine more when I lose the weight too. The ones I got when I was 13 are barely noticable now. They faded a bit over time.
    Now I have a few new ones from being pregnant. ( I used bio oil) but really, it didnt work other than making my skin less dry and itchy...

But when It comes to creams and such, its pretty much a waste of your money. Nothing can prevent them (except not gaining weight or rapidly gaining) and it has a lot to do with genetics as well.

Im sure theres a lazer for that, but really... Its just stretch marks. Even my skinny minny friends have some. Give it some time and learn to love em...
  • Esther20930
    Options
    I dry brush everyday before I get into the shower, and then afterwards I rub Neutrogena Body Oil all over. I have stretch marks from years ago and it has def helper as I loose weight. The Body Oil can be expensive but I get a big Costco size bottle at Nordsrom Rack.
  • Brooklyngurl3
    Options
    Thanks!
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    My doctor told me it had to do with hormonal imbalance... here is one thing I found by doing a search for "stretch marks hormones".

http://www.abateit.com/stretch-marks/causesofstretchmarks/

"Pregnancy, body building, rapid weight gain and even rapid growth are a common problem that causes stretch marks, when preventing is overlooked.

Stretch marks are caused by abnormal hormone activity. You don't have to be pregnant or fat or big to get them. As a matter of fact, it is a very common skin condition, but most people who have them are embarrassed by them and keep them to themselves, so they are less talked about or heard of.

The stretch marks related hormone activity mostly happens during:

Pregnancy
    Natural growth for adolescent boys and girls
    Rapid weight gain/loss
    Long term lacking of certain nutrients
    Sudden change in physical or environmental conditions
    Certain medication may also cause stretch marks, especially steroids related medications.
    Problem is the body sends or processes the wrong information regarding skin development, which causes skin to produce insufficient amount of collagen and Elastin- which form the connective tissue of skin; when the connective tissues are not strong enough to withstand over-stretching they break apart and there are stretch marks. They start from deep skin tissue and gradually develop to skin surface. Although in many cases they seem to just appear overnight, there really is a process."
  • ashkinlaw
    ashkinlaw Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try coconut oil. It is really good for your skin and is said to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. I was getting a couple on my stomach and now they aren't really noticeable. If the marks are old then you probably won't find anything that will completely get rid of them but I still apply the coconut oil to my old marks in hopes of it working. I find the oil in the baking isle of my walmart.
  • BectheLion
    BectheLion Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm Filipino and have very dark skin. So I tend to scar easily. My stretch marks were horrible, wide and bright red or pink! Even after a few years and applying cocoa butter lotion every day, they just would not fade! But I've learned that Marshall's sells some creams that have helped! They have Strivectin which is name brand and pretty expensive ($40 at Marshalls and $80 at Belk or Dillards). But look for any of the boxes that say "compare to Strivectin." The ones that I have personally used are Endless Youth and Vita-k Solution. They normally run about $4-7 per tube. Soooo worth it. I'd apply it just a few times a week (because that's how often I'd remember it lol) til I saw the results I wanted. Now my stretch marks are faint lines and close to my skin tone:-) .
  • Ivonne801amador
    Ivonne801amador Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm Filipino and have very dark skin. So I tend to scar easily. My stretch marks were horrible, wide and bright red or pink! Even after a few years and applying cocoa butter lotion every day, they just would not fade! But I've learned that Marshall's sells some creams that have helped! They have Strivectin which is name brand and pretty expensive ($40 at Marshalls and $80 at Belk or Dillards). But look for any of the boxes that say "compare to Strivectin." The ones that I have personally used are Endless Youth and Vita-k Solution. They normally run about $4-7 per tube. Soooo worth it. I'd apply it just a few times a week (because that's how often I'd remember it lol) til I saw the results I wanted. Now my stretch marks are faint lines and close to my skin tone:-) .

where did you find the generics?
  • pelles
    pelles Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My friend recommended 100% aloe vera. Aloe has amazing nutritional value. She eats it and then rubs the skin all over her body.
  • awesomeadaone
    awesomeadaone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    error
  • JMaeMyers
    JMaeMyers Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would try 100% Unrefind Shea Butter, I hear it is suppose to be good on stretch marks. I know pregnant woman use it on their stomaches, and it's very moisturizing I make my own lotions with it and it feels nice on the skin and not greasy either. :)
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sorry honey- I too had two BIG babies here on a 5'4" frame. Roadmap. No quick fix on this one =(.
  • BectheLion
    BectheLion Posts: 10 Member
    Options

where did you find the generics?

Marshall's was the best place. I found Endless youth at Walmart but they stopped selling it. :( You can get Vita K solution online but it costs more there.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT GAINING STRETCHMARKS FROM WEIGHT LOSS!

Your stretchmarks are more prominent because your skin is adjusting to the weight loss. The stretchmarks will fade in due time or you can look into bio oil.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!