Sagging Skin after Weight Loss

Options
13»

Replies

• vienna26
    vienna26 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Speaking as someone who knows someone who went through dramatic weight loss (I went with her to her doctor appointments)....

That "extra skin" isn't really extra skin. It's stretched skin with fat underneath. More fat to lose. The "flap" is more common for those who lose weight with diet - and not as much with exercise.

The non-surgical answer? Exercise more. Skin is elastic; it is made to "snap" back into place and it will do so, if the fat underneath is worked away, whether that's through exercise or surgery.

I can prove this! If the above was not true, then every woman who ever went through a pregnancy would have to have surgery to "repair" her sagging belly after the baby was born. Nope - she just has to lose more weight.

So yes, you will lose the "inner" fat first, but don't panic - keep losing (through exercise!) and you'll work off that "extra skin" (really just flab underneath).

My friend did it, so can you!

I'm with you on this one. I've had 3 CSections and I had a HORRIBLE "flap" that is now almost completely gone. I was worried about excess skin but as I lost weight my skin seemed to follow. I'm still having trouble losing the last little bit above my scar but its a lot better from where I started.

Aww this has just put my mind at ease i was thinking a tummy tuck was the only option mine is only a lil bulge left again just above my scar but im working in getting rid of it completely and hoping using my kettlebells will hopefully do the job :-)
  • hikingcole
    Options
    I lost 140+ pounds seven years ago and have kept it off. I walked a LOT and watched carbs. It took me a year to lose the weight. I DO have lose skin. I am now 52 years old. My tummy doesn't look bad at all unless I bed forward and then I have a small amount of loose skin, however I contribute this to some intestinal problems I have had due to lactose intolerance and allergies to certain foods I have discovered that cause my abdomen to swell to the size of about seven or eight month pregnancy belly and then goes down a few hours later, IF I'M LUCKY!

My bottom and my legs are my biggest problem as far as saggy, loose skin. I have the underarm "wave" and the loose skin over the bra (just under the arms). I do NOT have fat there and very little in my legs or butt at this point so unlike a post I read earlier, it is not fat under the skin that is causing my issue. My doctor even told me I am losing too much weight and advised me to stop for the sake of my muscle because I do not have enough fat. My BMI is 22. Not too shabby for 52, eh?

I have gone from a size 22 (going into a 24) to a size 2. I do enjoy my new size but wish I could afford to have the excess skin removed. I simply cannot afford to take the time off of work and honestly, I don't want to spend my entire savings on surgery and give up on a dream my husband and I are working toward.

I walk more than five miles a day on my job and lift some weight from time to time. The aerobic exercise, in my opinion, is the best way to go.

Just to introduce myself and tell my experience with loose skin.

Hikingcole
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!