Drinking Less = Less fun to be around

Options
I've read tons of tips on how to survive social drinking situations while staying in control of calories. I have lots of plans to alternate water and wine and track in advance and everything this weekend when I'm faced with non-stop partying.

My big issue is - I don't feel like I'm fun or energized or exciting to be around when I'm not getting tipsy. Does anyone else have this issue? Any tips to overcome the grumpy hungry mood and put your best face forward? My friends have actually asked me what's wrong since I seem down/depressed/less fun while tracking my calories.

I'm really hoping to have a good weekend and still stay on track! Happy Friday :)

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It can be just as much fun to not drink, but it would help to choose activities that don't focus on drinking. When I didn't drink and tried to go out "drinking" with my buddies, it's not that my sobriety wasn't fun, it's that their drunkenness became very annoying, real fast.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. Everyone is all chatty, having fun etc... and I am just.. bleh.

Avoid the siutation, or take it in small chunks.. and ALWAYS be thankful you will not feel how they do in the morning =P
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I've read tons of tips on how to survive social drinking situations while staying in control of calories. I have lots of plans to alternate water and wine and track in advance and everything this weekend when I'm faced with non-stop partying.

My big issue is - I don't feel like I'm fun or energized or exciting to be around when I'm not getting tipsy. Does anyone else have this issue? Any tips to overcome the grumpy hungry mood and put your best face forward? My friends have actually asked me what's wrong since I seem down/depressed/less fun while tracking my calories.

I'm really hoping to have a good weekend and still stay on track! Happy Friday :)

i'm gonna say something crazy here - but if you're hungry, you should eat! it might help with your mood. ;)

(obviously i'm talking good, clean foods and not bar food, and in moderation)

your body doesn't lie to you. that's one of the cool things about it. if you're hungry, that means you don't have enough fuel in you to perform at your optimal level, whether your exercising or hanging out with friends. counting calories is NOT about making food an enemy!
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I agree, the most annoying part about not drinking at the bar is... not being drunk :drinker: :wink:
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just make sure that I workout enough that I can have 3 or 4 beers and I do not feel like I am "missing out" on anything. If I had to give up some of the things I really, really love I am pretty sure this new and healthy eating would not last very long. But I just make myself burn the calories that I want to consume. Ecspecially when they are non-healthy calories.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I think a big part of it is having to stay up late! When you're drinking, you don't feel what your body is telling you- you're tired, you're hungry, and you are up past your bedtime. Sober- you feel it.

I agree that if you are hungry, you should eat. I also work drinks into my calorie plan- long cardio on the weekend means more wine!

If you want to succeed, you need to make changes that you can maintain. If you're grumpy and not able to socialize, you may want to try smaller lifestyle changes that you can continue for the long run.

You could also try to influence your friends to do activities like dancing or rock climbing that are energizing. It's the stand-around-drinking thing that really kills me.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The thing I noticed when I stopped drinking is my "friends" and I had only had one thing in common before, and that was getting drunk all the time. You may just start to realize it's time to find new friends.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think getting drunk is all that fun. Drunks are annoying. You think it's fun, and it seems fun at the time, but watch it on camera sometime. Nope, not fun. (At least not to me.)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The thing I noticed when I stopped drinking is my "friends" and I had only had one thing in common before, and that was getting drunk all the time. You may just start to realize it's time to find new friends.

^^ Exactly this!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When you're drunk, the most annoying person in the world is sober...and the other way around too.

Fortunately, there are all sorts of social activities that don't involve drinking. Find a group of physically active people and go hiking (or whatever).
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A) Find a better class of losers to be around that you can have fun with and not have to include alcohol.
    B) Take a seat, watch them all get toasted, start people watching and doing voiceovers for them.
    C) You control your mood, if you choose to have fun, you're going to. If you choose to be a Debbie Downer because you're not drinking, you'll have a bad time.

I find that I surround myself with super happy, funny, entertaining people who don't have to drink and we have a kick *kitten* time!!! ;)
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sugar free energy drinks do the trick for me.