How much of your daily exercise do you log???

Options

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit, so pretty much all of it.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I used to log that but found that it didn't really make a difference in my burn or fat loss. I log circuits, martial arts, power walking and running and I find that I am toning, shaping and getting lighter. People log in different ways and do whatever works for them.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am eating at TDEE for my goal weight, sedentary . I don't log any exercise, but I DO document it in the Strength Training record. I figure if I work out, there will be a deficit. If I don't work out, there will be a deficit as I learn to eat the way I will forever. I can take my time to lose this. I can't say I took my time putting it on though... I went through a rough patch and gained 40 pounds in less than 6 months (fatigue and stress, not depression).
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new to MFP and I am trying to get in the habit of logging everything in general. I have logged cleaning a few times as I feel that it is making me aware of what I'm exerting/ not exerting along with my new approach to eating and tracking calories as well as portion size. There are some days when I am heading over my allotment of calories and I will scrutinize what I've done in order to recognize that I am making strides or becoming static. I have thought of myself as "sedentary" for a long time because I never really considered all that I may accomplish in my day. I'm sure my logging habits will become more strict as I am becoming more active and adhering to a healthier lifestyle. I think as long as you are real with yourself and you are truly making an effort, you should do what makes you feel positive about your accomplishment. Idk, everyone has their own intent and purpose with this site, I think you should do whatever it takes to ensure that you stay on your course as long as it is healthy.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    because i have logged my daily activity as "active," i don't log taking the dog up and down the street, or housecleaning. i just log true cardio and circuit training. i have a friend who has set her activity level as "sedentary," so she does count every little thing. it has worked for both of us.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I used to log every extended activity, like vacuuming for more than 15 minutes.

Now I only log dedicated exercise. Everything else is a bonus.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I use the Body Media device with MFP so I know exactly how many calories I burn every day and during all activities. What I have discovered is that logging extra activities such as house cleaning does not buy you any extra calories, in fact, MFP over estimates how many calories people burn for their activities generally speaking. For example, I am a triathlete and I bike 20 miles in about 65 minutes, MFP says I burn 800 calories, but the Body Media tells me I've burned only 250. Body Media is 95% accurate. If I clean my house for 1 hour, I do not burn much more than if I walked a 1/4 mile, which is about 25 calories. I hate to be the deliverer of bad news, but that is the reality. I think that it is best to only post your workouts. With that said, I do understand that some daily activities such as mucking stalls, stacking hay, cleaning the house, whatever, create an increase in one's activity level, but I think that unless it causes you to breath hard consistently for a sustained period of time and you break a sweat, you should just chalk those calories up as daily routine and leave it at that. Also, I'm now just trying to take off a few pounds to get to a race weight, but I've lost 65 pounds and I know what I'm talking about.
  • Jormesher
    Jormesher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Normally I only log my workout time but I made an exception today.

I teach 5th grade at it was field day at school. 2.5 hours of playing outside with the kiddos. :happy: Too much fun!
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've been logging workouts and walking (I walk 5km to university and back every day). But now I'm not so sure if I should be logging the walking!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I log things like 'brisk walks' if i am out walking for exercise. I won't log walking at a fair or festival, even I walk walk briskkly all the time (which I do according to my family).
    I don't log my weight training as calorie burning. I do it 3 times a week and am set at 'lightly active' which says takes into account 'working out 3 times a week', so my bodyweight workouts are not logged.

I don't log daily living stuff.. cooking cleaning etc.. unless it an an usually hard thourogh house scrubbing that works up a sweat and leaves me utterly sore and exhausted (HA! I amost never clean that well)

BUT, I can see how someone who was very sedentary would log cleaning, etc. in the beginning because even that is something new for them and a lot more moving than what they are used to. hopefully after time and 'normal activity' becomes 'normal' for them, they will no longer need to log it. (or they have their BMR/calorie goals set to inactive, so record everything or even are just curious in the beginning to how much they do burn, etc)
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are walking 3 miles, you should log that, you burn around 100 calories for every mile you walk or run. So yes, I'd log it.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I log mostly workouts...but if we do something on the weekend like taking the kids to the Metro Zoo/ROM/Ontario Science Center, etc., and we're walking around for a couple of hours, then I count it as slow walking, because that's not my normal daily activity. It works for me. It depends a little bit on what your normal daily activity level is like. I'm lightly active, because I'm on my feet all day but not necessarily doing a lot of heavy lifting or moving at a high speed.
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have my lifestyle set at sedentary so I do log walking, but only on days I've gone over my calories a little.. it makes me feel a little better not to be in the red! I do find on days I've done a lot of activity/walking (and I mean proper brisk walks, to and from.. no walking with friends or around the shops) I tend to feel more hungry and when I'm hungry I eat and if I've had a particularly active day, it's nice to show I've earned those extra calories, just for myself =)
  • mercymarque
    Options
    I don't log lunch time or break walks unless we are speed walking and going a distance. I also don't log things I would normally be doing such as cleaning or cooking... if this was considered exercise we would all be losing all the time. I think u set urself up for failure. Ur going to lose by following the calorie defiect even if u don't exercise. I do count DVD exercise.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I log when I have worked out at the gym, have done an aerobics DVD or other home workout and walked the dog beause the dog walks are (depending on the route) 2.5 - 3.5 miles at a 4-4.5 mph pace norally.

I will log a house cleaning when I do a FULL cleaning which includes dusting everything, vacuuming, mopping all the floors and which takes about 4 -5 hours to do and I do work up a sweat.

Normal chores like cooking, washing dishes or just the short dog walk that I do which is all of 5-10 minutes I don't log because it's normal daily activity that I do. If I'm panting and working up a sweat it's logged. Otherwise no.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Har one... I count walking as an exercise but how MUCH walking before I count it? I wouldn't count a walk to the fridge, hehehe! Or the bust stop.... but much further than that I would. If I can feel a littl exertion or feel I am pushing myself a little (an it dont take much as I am very unfit!) I log it. Also if I go out clubbing, and spen a fair bit of time sweating on the dance floor, that goes down too. I love the iea that I can get a work out in, just through having fun!! xxxx
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I only log workouts because daily activity is already factored in

This.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    all work outs and daily activity type events only when they are out of the ordinary.
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    Only actual exercise unless it's above and beyond the call of normal. :tongue:

Normal housework? No. Pre-inlaws visiting total house cleaning? Yes.

Planting tulip bulbs? No. Landscaping involving lugging around bags of mulch and pruning shrubbery? Yes.

Sweeping a dusting of snow? No. Shoveling 18" of snow? Yes.

This.

I also spend a lot of time in the kitchen about once a week, prepping, cooking and baking for the week ahead. My life gets so busy that having all the foods pre-prepped makes a huge difference. But I'm usually in the kitchen for 3 hours+ during this time; I am working up a sweat, lots of bending and moving, lifting dishes, chopping, etc...

Plus I usually have the tunes blaring and I'm usually shaking my bonbon the entire time too. I make it count. My HRM tells me I burn around 300+ cals while doing my weekly kitchen routine; so you bet your sweet ya-know-what that I count it! :wink:

27783872.png
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I wear my fitbit from the time I get up to the time I go to bed and that's what is logged. Works for me since I don't eat back my exercise calories. Also when i do weights or anything like that I still just use the fitbit so I think it probably evens out. Working so I'll go with that.